2019/20 Transfer Rumours & Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 2019/20 Transfer Rumours & Discussion Thread

Post by weasel »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm I must admit I slated kiko for that goal but I hold my hands up , it was totally Coopers mistake. Maybe there was no shout from kiko or Cooper never heard it but in any case its clear kiko had it all under control.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
My feeling is Cooper had gone into a panic mode because of the 2 earlier times when Kiko had come out (once where he took the ball and dribbled round the Derby player and once where he had cleared but the ball hit KP). It had made us fans a bit nervous and think it had made Cooper nervous too. One of those occasions where if we'd have made it into half time we'd have probably been okay as they could all have calmed down a bit.

I was extremely surprised that Derby didn't really try knocking any long balls in like that in the second half, if I had been their manager I would have been telling them to dink balls over the top.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

weasel wrote: My feeling is Cooper had gone into a panic mode because of the 2 earlier times when Kiko had come out (once where he took the ball and dribbled round the Derby player and once where he had cleared but the ball hit KP). It had made us fans a bit nervous and think it had made Cooper nervous too. One of those occasions where if we'd have made it into half time we'd have probably been okay as they could all have calmed down a bit.

I was extremely surprised that Derby didn't really try knocking any long balls in like that in the second half, if I had been their manager I would have been telling them to dink balls over the top.
My feelings too . Cooper needs some composure instilled into him otherwise he's a decent CB. Hopefully over the summer the defence and Kiko have ironed out any language differences so they're all singing from the same hymn sheet and the defence have got used to Kikos positioning as a sweeper keeper.

gessa

Post by gessa »

The Phillips one was within a few minutes after the goal, not before.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 am My feelings too . Cooper needs some composure instilled into him otherwise he's a decent CB. Hopefully over the summer the defence and Kiko have ironed out any language differences so they're all singing from the same hymn sheet and the defence have got used to Kikos positioning as a sweeper keeper.

It looked that way on Wednesday evening, granted it was only York but things looks much more composed at the back.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Spurs have joined Villa, Bournemouth and Wolves in the Phillips race.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jay »

The Kiko / Cooper mishap was clearly a communication problem. Im sure theyve spent time ironing over those issues.

And in terms of Roofe and Phillips potential sales, i might eat my words, but i dont think theyre gonna leave this season. Im honestly not even worried about it. I feel the only way theyll be allowed to leave is if it suits the club. Ie: big money offers that will allow us to replace them with other quality players. With Bielsa at the club, its harder for players to just jump ship. Leeds are trying to build something here, and the players know this. They have to believe, and i think most, if not all of them do. MOT
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm in the pro-Kiko camp too, good sweeper keeper let down by a defence who seemingly didn't understand how a sweeper keeper works. Iron that out and there's no issue here.

Tend to agree with Jay re Roofe and Philips. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no bids on the table for either and the club are in negotiations with both. Unless their demands are ridiculous, or a club tables daft money for Kalvin (£20m+), they're Leeds players this season.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 am The Phillips one was within a few minutes after the goal, not before.
Think you are wrong there as the first Derby goal came in the 45th minute and doubt there would have been much injury time in the first half, certainly not a few minutes.

Maybe you saw a replay at half time and thought it was live.... ;o)

Derby then went in front in the 46th minute.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm I'm in the pro-Kiko camp too, good sweeper keeper let down by a defence who seemingly didn't understand how a sweeper keeper works. Iron that out and there's no issue here.
Indeed, hopefully better communication and a settled side and they get used to each other.

If you look at the goal conceded last night BPF is in his 6 yard box when the ball is launched forward, now even if he was further out he likely wouldn't have been able to get to it but it would have meant he was in a better position to deal with the striker coming through (and also if the ball hadn't been as inch perfect he would have been in a better position to clear it). Instead the striker was able to keep coming forward and simply slot the ball home. I don't attach any blame on BPF for the ball going through his legs, keepers are trying to make themselves big, but because of his starting position he was never in a good position for blocking the shot.

That also shows how hard it is for a defence to be expecting a keeper to be coming out to clear as last season BPF was in net for over half the games and they had to get used to him coming occasionally, not all the time, and the indecision and confusion it brings.

BPF may be a decent keeper (potentially) but he doesn't suit the way Bielsa wants the keeper to play.
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm Think you are wrong there as the first Derby goal came in the 45th minute and doubt there would have been much injury time in the first half, certainly not a few minutes.

No, when it happened again, we said , hasn't he fcuking learnt.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sam Dalby gone to Watford, undisclosed fee
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 pm Indeed, hopefully better communication and a settled side and they get used to each other.

If you look at the goal conceded last night BPF is in his 6 yard box when the ball is launched forward, now even if he was further out he likely wouldn't have been able to get to it but it would have meant he was in a better position to deal with the striker coming through (and also if the ball hadn't been as inch perfect he would have been in a better position to clear it). Instead the striker was able to keep coming forward and simply slot the ball home. I don't attach any blame on BPF for the ball going through his legs, keepers are trying to make themselves big, but because of his starting position he was never in a good position for blocking the shot.

That also shows how hard it is for a defence to be expecting a keeper to be coming out to clear as last season BPF was in net for over half the games and they had to get used to him coming occasionally, not all the time, and the indecision and confusion it brings.

BPF may be a decent keeper (potentially) but he doesn't suit the way Bielsa wants the keeper to play.
Spot on, weasel

I'm not a BPF basher, think the lad has a lot of potential, but he ended up learning his trade last season in the full glare of the ER fishbowl. A couple of high profile errors and the lad's confidence is shot. The club, if they are intent on keeping him, should send him out on loan for some game time, let him rebuild that confidence and help with his progression. He's only a boy in goalkeeping terms, has time on his side. But I don't think a club with Prem ambitions can start him as their Number 1
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm Think you are wrong there as the first Derby goal came in the 45th minute and doubt there would have been much injury time in the first half, certainly not a few minutes.

The goal definitely came first.

I went for an angry piss, thinking the whistle would go straight away, but when I got back my pal said it was a good job I'd gone because the same thing nearly happened again.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Genghers wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 pm The goal definitely came first.

I went for an angry piss, thinking the whistle would go straight away, but when I got back my pal said it was a good job I'd gone because the same thing nearly happened again.
Fair enough. Hopefully though the lessons have been learnt and this season the communication will be spot on and the Leeds players will know to get out of the way when he comes. Am sure there will be a couple of times when he comes and make a mess of it but overall will save us a lot of times.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm Fair enough. Hopefully though the lessons have been learnt and this season the communication will be spot on and the Leeds players will know to get out of the way when he comes. Am sure there will be a couple of times when he comes and make a mess of it but overall will save us a lot of times.
I'm confident it'll be better this year. Half a season together and a full preseason should help to improve communication and the consistency will just drill it in.

He saved a lot of points for us last year, it's just a shame that his defining contribution was in that c**k up.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

So the roofe to rangers rumour has been traced back to a ‘fake agent’ twitter account... I really f**king hate twitter for s**t like this - pics up pace over nothing the fans take it as gospel truth.

Villa have also agreed a few with city for a CDM so I’m hoping that will start to take some sting from peoples anger.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm I'm in the pro-Kiko camp too, good sweeper keeper let down by a defence who seemingly didn't understand how a sweeper keeper works. Iron that out and there's no issue here.
Indeed Nick, Kiko is a class keeper who plays as the last man, our defence needs to trust & allow him to with deal with situations in & around the box
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm Indeed Nick, Kiko is a class keeper who plays as the last man, our defence needs to trust & allow him to with deal with situations in & around the box
I don't point fingers, we win as a team and we lose as a team. But the "howlers" used to beat Kiko after the play-offs would not have happened had our defence understood that a sweeper keeper plays like a sweeper, that's his job. Hopefully a settled line-up, experience of each other and a full pre-season and the back 5 will all know what each other's roles are.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm Indeed Nick, Kiko is a class keeper who plays as the last man, our defence needs to trust & allow him to with deal with situations in & around the box
Read this tonight:
Leeds United are interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper Karl Darlow
if they can find a new club for Kiko Casilla this summer, according to Football Insider.

I would say that is the final nail in the coffin for BPF if it is true, what with him
conceding last night. and being substituted off at half time
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm Read this tonight:
Leeds United are interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper Karl Darlow
if they can find a new club for Kiko Casilla this summer, according to Football Insider.

I would say that is the final nail in the coffin for BPF if it is true, what with him
conceding last night. and being substituted off at half time
We're forever linked with Darliw. An okay keeper, but not an upgrade on any of the top 3 we have as I see it.

Doubt BPF conceding will have much bearing on his future, but the fact that Miazek and him both got 45 does suggest that they're on essentially even footing at the moment.