Ben White

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Transfer News Ben White

Post by Cjay »

Having a medical as we speak.

20 year old Brighton cb and occasionally a rb.

Spent the 2nd half of last season on loan at Peterborough.

The season before he was a key part of the Newport County side that went on that FA Cup run (yes he was playing when they beat us) and when Newport forced a replay vs Spurs.

He has a decent reputation and has been tracked apparently by Spurs and Liverpool.
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ben White

Post by The Subhuman »

Sounds a good signing, is there a fee or is he FA or a loan? If loan is there an option to buy?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 pm Sounds a good signing, is there a fee or is he FA or a loan? If loan is there an option to buy?
Loan mate (we only do loans).

Phil said a while back we wanted a permanent option but Brighton didnt however Brighton have signed a new cb recently so who knows.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:29 pm Loan mate (we only do loans).

Phil said a while back we wanted a permanent option but Brighton didnt however Brighton have signed a new cb recently so who knows.
I suppose it is one of those that if he plays well for us, feels part of the team then it at least makes it more likely that he would want to come to us if in the future he was to leave Brighton. A bit like with Aaron Moy, Huddersfield didn't have a purchase clause in the loan deal but because he did well and helped them to promotion he was happy to sign for them permanently when they then agreed a deal with Man City - if Huddersfield hadn't got promoted then it wouldn't have made any difference if there had been a purchase clause as they wouldn't have been able to afford to sign him. Or like when we had Pedrazza and had the option to sign him for £8.5m but because we didn't get promoted there was no way we were going to spend that sort of money.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:15 pm I suppose it is one of those that if he plays well for us, feels part of the team then it at least makes it more likely that he would want to come to us if in the future he was to leave Brighton. A bit like with Aaron Moy, Huddersfield didn't have a purchase clause in the loan deal but because he did well and helped them to promotion he was happy to sign for them permanently when they then agreed a deal with Man City - if Huddersfield hadn't got promoted then it wouldn't have made any difference if there had been a purchase clause as they wouldn't have been able to afford to sign him. Or like when we had Pedrazza and had the option to sign him for £8.5m but because we didn't get promoted there was no way we were going to spend that sort of money.
Its possible but i suppose the difference between White and someone like Mooy is for one the 2 clubs.

Brighton may see White as someone they may want to use in the future, he is an academy lad with a decent reputation who probably isnt ready yet.

Its a win win situation for them, he gets some games under a manager renowned for improving players and Brighton pocket some money.

Man City always intended to sell Mooy, similar to Harrison, he was a player who did well at one of their feeder clubs.

It allowed Man City owners to move money between clubs and just by signing for City the values went up.

I dont see the point of signing White tbh, imo a loan should never be used to pad out your squad it should be a player better then what you have in the first 11, but MB is a fan so we will see.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Looks a very assured composed footballer from what I've seen of him, no wonder Brighton rate him

I remember White playing against us in the FA Cup fiasco v Newport, he had Lasogga in his pocket

Terrific signing if we nail this one :-D

Here's a nine minute clip of the lad

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Absolutely a player there, some of the positioning and predictive movement is outstanding. He's better than Coop. Good clip
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:20 pm Absolutely a player there, some of the positioning and predictive movement is outstanding. He's better than Coop. Good clip
Looks like the type of defender who's always in the right place at the right time ready to anticipate any danger. Calm, cool & comfortable on the ball too.

I looking forward to seeing this lad play in the white shirt of Leeds :)
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:01 pm Looks a very assured composed footballer from what I've seen of him, no wonder Brighton rate him

I remember White playing against us in the FA Cup fiasco v Newport, he had Lasogga in his pocket

Terrific signing if we nail this one :-D

Here's a nine minute clip of the lad

Had Harry Kane in his pocket too, whilst playing for a League 2 club. Looks a tremendous prospect, good with both feet, and has pace. looks like Coops has got some real competition this season.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 pm Had Harry Kane in his pocket too, whilst playing for a League 2 club. Looks a tremendous prospect, good with both feet, and has pace. looks like Coops has got some real competition this season.
Yes Kane struggled that day

Questions are :

Will Marcelo start with White in our opening match at Bristol City

If yes will White replace Jansson or Cooper ?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Could be White and Berardi - unless Berardi is banned due to the play-off red card.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:37 am Could be White and Berardi - unless Berardi is banned due to the play-off red card.
Berardi will be banned for at least the first game at Ashton Gate
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Pontus might let emotion get the better of him at times but he is a better footballer than Cooper. Paired with White, we might just have the ideal defensive unit for the Bielsa's style. Composure on the ball is paramount and White certainly looks like he has that in spades.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 am Pontus might let emotion get the better of him at times but he is a better footballer than Cooper. Paired with White, we might just have the ideal defensive unit for the Bielsa's style. Composure on the ball is paramount and White certainly looks like he has that in spades.
Will Pontus still be here though? some rumours about Fulham wanting him, I can't see why he would want to go there or why we would sell one of our best to a promotion rival but you never know.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:20 am Will Pontus still be here though? some rumours about Fulham wanting him, I can't see why he would want to go there or why we would sell one of our best to a promotion rival but you never know.
Aye, you never know but I haven't seen any strong or credible reports to suggest this is true. If it is I'll weep a little inside as I would very much like to see White alongside Pontus.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So it’s official. White and the return of Harrison
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

How I described White in my above post straight from the horses mouth :)

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 12.49.16.png
Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 12.49.16.png (212.07 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just been speaking to Mark (one of my best friends) from Sussex. As a Leeds fan surrounded by Brighton fans he was speaking to Solly March's dad last night, he told Mark we'll be signing a very good defender
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Both good signings, very happy with that
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 am Yes Kane struggled that day

Questions are :

Will Marcelo start with White in our opening match at Bristol City

If yes will White replace Jansson or Cooper ?
Pontus won't be here.