What a day for sport ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: What a day for sport ?

Post by whiteswan »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 pm Wow

:shock: :? :-D
Indeed :) :) :)
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Not a great day for me moggs
Cricket result was massive with us winning
But i sweating like a Scouser watching cimewatch for most of it.
Told the snow Queen I'd had a score on it
Anyhoo cleared enough to buy a pair of Jan Arden stock hens

Them tennis fookers paying £45 for strawberries and cream
Gan to Morrisons get a medium salad drink and effing strawberries and cream for £3.50p man
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

England.. world champions..👍
What an amazing, tense finish. Well done England..👍😁😁
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Ps on the gambling thread lump on Blyth Spartans for promotion next year you won't regret it
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

liggy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 pm Not a great day for me moggs

Gan to Morrisons get a medium salad drink and effing strawberries and cream for £3.50p man
Hey liggy, you been on jury yet?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Aye Ian into the 5th week tomorrow
Should start deliberations at 2pm tomorrow
I'll let ya knaa what happened after the trial finishes
It's a reet wronging mind
But I'll get into loads of s**t if I say owt
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 pm Not a great day for me moggs

:rol: :rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 pm Ps on the gambling thread lump on Blyth Spartans for promotion next year you won't regret it
Blyth were up near the top last season if I recall correctly liggy ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm England.. world champions..👍
What an amazing, tense finish. Well done England..👍😁😁
I knew we were all in for a good days sport however I never imagined that two major events would finish simultaneously & dramatic as they did.

Unbelievable !
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

The cricket was one of the most unbelievable matches I've ever seen. NZ were incredibly unfortunate, what with the 6 stepping on the rope and the 6 off the bat in the last over...

Don't think I've been as nervous as Archer's super-over, especially after bowling a wide first.

Glad Wimbledon was exciting, but just wish Feds had won...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 am Don't think I've been as nervous as Archer's super-over, especially after bowling a wide first
I thought we'd blown it after those first three balls
Genghers wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 am Glad Wimbledon was exciting, but just wish Feds had won...
Big disappointment of the day as Federer is one of my few sporting heroes, he had the opportunity to win the match twice, unfortunately Fed had no answer in the three tie-breaks which ultimately cost him. Boris Becker thought Roger's play was superb, I beg to differ as his game was a mix of brilliance & ordinary with far too many of his returns hitting the rim of the racket. Also his passing shots wasn't as strong although unlucky two or three times.

For all Djokovic is a great player, I'm not a fan of him tbh !
hector

Post by hector »

The cricket is a bit of a hollow victory isn't it? I mean .... a technicality wins the world cup?? not exactly a decisive win is it?

;-) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

hector wrote:The cricket is a bit of a hollow victory isn't it? I mean .... a technicality wins the world cup?? not exactly a decisive win is it?

I would have thought it should have gone to NZ as they lost fewer wickets initially or am i just way behind the times.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm I would have thought it should have gone to NZ as they lost fewer wickets initially or am i just way behind the times.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
The decision to decide the result on boundary hitting is a result of the influence of T20.

Countback was always the way to decide and for me it is far fairer. How can hitting boundaries be rated as superior to taking wickets? It makes no sense.

Now to add to the fun we learn that the umpires made an error in awarding England the 6 runs for the incident when the ball deflected of Stokes' bat. Rashid hadn't crossed so 1. It should have been 5 runs awarded and 2.Stokes would have been left at the non strikers end with Rashid facing with two balls left and 4 needed to win. Of course we have no way of knowing what would have happened after that.

But it was overall the greatest climax in a sporting game for many a time. Also it has given cricket in the Uk a massive boost.

All led by an Irishman of course. I wonder if he will get a knighthood :lol:

But if i was a kiwi fan I would be finding things tough at the minute.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Great result for England in the netball today, beating world no.2 Jamaica 56-48.

4 wins out of 4 going into a rest day.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 am The cricket is a bit of a hollow victory isn't it? I mean .... a technicality wins the world cup?? not exactly a decisive win is it?

Dont start :x

QWhack :cricket: QWhack :cricket:
I'm suddenly getting much more pleasure today QWhacking you with the cricket bat after our brilliant match yesterday :celeb:

:lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 pm The decision to decide the result on boundary hitting is a result of the influence of T20.

Countback was always the way to decide and for me it is far fairer. How can hitting boundaries be rated as superior to taking wickets? It makes no sense.

Now to add to the fun we learn that the umpires made an error in awarding England the 6 runs for the incident when the ball deflected of Stokes' bat. Rashid hadn't crossed so 1. It should have been 5 runs awarded and 2.Stokes would have been left at the non strikers end with Rashid facing with two balls left and 4 needed to win. Of course we have no way of knowing what would have happened after that.

But it was overall the greatest climax in a sporting game for many a time. Also it has given cricket in the Uk a massive boost.

All led by an Irishman of course. I wonder if he will get a knighthood :lol:

But if i was a kiwi fan I would be finding things tough at the minute.
Don't get this one, the ball hit Stokes bat while stretching for the crease, so whomever he was batting with had to have crossed. I think they were coming back for the second so 2 plus the boundary off the bat = 6 runs. No one was run out on that delivery. So the only possible way it was wrongly called is if Rashid didn't even turn for the second but I think NZ or the umps would have noticed two players at the same end
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm Don't get this one, the ball hit Stokes bat while stretching for the crease, so whomever he was batting with had to have crossed. I think they were coming back for the second so 2 plus the boundary off the bat = 6 runs. No one was run out on that delivery. So the only possible way it was wrongly called is if Rashid didn't even turn for the second but I think NZ or the umps would have noticed two players at the same end
Not exactly, Rashid needed to have crossed at the time of the throw.

From Cricinfo

However, according to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

I think the umpires got caught up in the emotion of the game, and even though they consulted together they still made an error of judgement.
'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Doesn't mention deflection though does it which leaves it open to interpretation. It should be a dead ball tbf.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

As the rule stands though if the ball had gone to a fielder it would have just been the 2 runs as no overthrow, also if they had run 3 and it didn't get to the boundary they would have scored 5 runs ...