The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 16th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 16th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 16th July, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Villa's desperate last ditch attempt to sign Phillips

In a desperate bid to try to land Kalvin Phillips, Villa supremo Dean Smith has offered Leeds the choice of three players plus cash. It is understood that Connor Hourihane, Henri Lansbury and James Bree are all surplus to requirements at Villa Park, and Leeds can take their pick from all three!
Would any other these players improve our starting XI? If Villa were to offer 20m and the pick from the three listed above, would you be tempted to sell?

Defiant Bielsa stays in Leeds

Whilst the Leeds players jetted off to Australia, Bielsa decided to stay in Leeds to ensure that new signings and late arrivals from international duty are brought up to speed! Well, that's the official line anyway!!!!!

Bielsa even had time to take in a pre-season friendly at Valley Parade where Bradford were taking on Liverpool, and guess what? He bumped in Klopp - What are the chances?

Bielsa was probably at Bradford looking at Ryan Kent - Whelan

According to Leeds Utd Soccer pundit Noel Whelan, Ryan Kent was on the agenda!

“Bielsa was probably at Bradford looking at Ryan Kent”
“There’s no reason for him to go there rather than Australia unless it was beneficial for him.
“Ryan Kent has been spoken about before. I think Bielsa has met with Jurgen Klopp after the game.
“If there is interest and conversations going on it, it is worth talking with his manager.
“There’s no harm in building up a rapport with Klopp.
“I would love to have Kent at Leeds next season. He is a fantastic young player who did really well at Rangers last season.
“Stevie G would love to keep him but if we can can get him, he would be a brilliant signing.
“He can play wide, number 10, has pace, strength, can run at defenders, and score and create goals. He’s a really exciting young prospect.”

LUFC Director coded message why Jansson was sold

Leeds Executive Director Paul Bell who leads the off-field business side for the Whites has been in Perth mingling, and speaking to Leeds fans regarding the recent sales of Clarke and Jansson.

“There’s a reasonable answer to all of this. You look at the Championship now and Financial Fair Play, or Profitability and Sustainability as it’s now called, has been talked about, talked about, talked about,” he said.

“Last year, for the first time, you saw the rules have teeth. You saw Birmingham [City] cheat the rules, bust the bank and they had a horrendous year the year before last, spent way above their means and you saw they got a nine-point penalty.

“That’s really put into focus all Championship clubs now, this three-year rolling loss limit of £39m is a genuine deterrent from breaking the rules.
“You’ve seen recently the clubs looking at doing different things to try and ensure they don’t break the rules.

“It’s well documented Derby [County] sold their stadium, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday, their accounts came out this week and they’ve made £38m profit on the sale of Hillsborough.”

“People talk about it and people have scant disregard for it, but we have to be very mindful there are a set of regulations in place we have to adhere to because we can’t run the risk of having point deductions, particularly when we’re chasing the dream of the Premier League.

“Imagine if that had happened to us this year, so close and to get nine points taken off.

“By the time it went to the tribunal it didn’t happen until April, but these are real things we need to be mindful of.”

“We as a club, in terms of revenue, just to give you some kind of barometer, we did over £40m worth of turnover,” he said.

“Sheffield Wednesday’s latest accounts show they turned over £25m. I’m just using that as a barometer and example.

“People often put Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds into the same sort of bracket: big clubs in Yorkshire.

“We’re doing extremely well and we look at all of our revenue streams over the last 12 months and they’re all fantastic.

“We’ve got record season ticket numbers, we’ve got record hospitality numbers, last year we sold 72,000 replica shirts.

“It’s phenomenal, honestly it’s phenomenal and when we look at the club, it’s ready for the Premier League.”
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 16th July)

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning everyone. Take note You see what can happen when only one club is interested in your player, it gives you the opportunity to NEGOTIATE not sell him cut price... :)

Seriously though, do we need to sell anyone to comply with ffp? No.
KP stays then in my book.

Bielsa, if he had had his way there wouldn't be any jaunt halfway around the world to play in a glamour friendly. I see the business sense in doing so, but he sees things from a football perspective, he will do far more good staying here and bring Ryan Kent or Harry Wilson to Leeds. Though I wonder what shape our side will take if he does? Will Roberts be used as a striker instead of a Amf?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 am Morning everyone. Take note You see what can happen when only one club is interested in your player, it gives you the opportunity to NEGOTIATE not sell him cut price... :)

Seriously though, do we need to sell anyone to comply with ffp? No.
KP stays then in my book.

Bielsa, if he had had his way there wouldn't be any jaunt halfway around the world to play in a glamour friendly. I see the business sense in doing so, but he sees things from a football perspective, he will do far more good staying here and bring Ryan Kent or Harry Wilson to Leeds. Though I wonder what shape our side will take if he does? Will Roberts be used as a striker instead of a Amf?
Morning Ian
Really well said. We're not having a closing down sale.

I've just added another article for the Leeds Director Paul Bell. It seems Jansson may have been right. Perhaps we did sell him for FFP?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Check out Bogusz's free kick - in off the post...
gessa

Post by gessa »

So if clubs adhere to the ffp rules honestly then they are being penalised unfairly by having to sell a player or 2 each year to fit the criteria, so instead of being able to build from within, this is being destoyed by having to sell. Makes no sense to me.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am So if clubs adhere to the ffp rules honestly then they are being penalised unfairly by having to sell a player or 2 each year to fit the criteria, so instead of being able to build from within, this is being destoyed by having to sell. Makes no sense to me.
Morning Gessa, I suppose it depends on how other clubs cut their cloth

It would not be right for Derby to splash the cash having exploited the rules.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 am Morning Gessa, I suppose it depends on how other clubs cut their cloth

It would not be right for Derby to splash the cash having exploited the rules.
But they've got away with exploiting the rules and we're having to sell, where's the fair play in that.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 am But they've got away with exploiting the rules and we're having to sell, where's the fair play in that.
The other 20 clubs in the division will be thinking the same way.

I'm sure there is pressure on the EFL to punish the 3 clubs.

There has to be - surely!
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am It is understood that Connor Hourihane, Henri Lansbury and James Bree are all surplus to requirements at Villa Park, and Leeds can take their pick from all three!
Would any other these players improve our starting XI? If Villa were to offer 20m and the pick from the three listed above, would you be tempted to sell?

I don't think that any of them would improve the squad more than it would harm it losing Phillip's. Continuity is key in Bielsa's system, especiallyin midfield, so it would set us back 12 months, even if we brought in a £20m player on top.

Whilst the Leeds players jetted off to Australia, Bielsa decided to stay in Leeds to ensure that new signings and late arrivals from international duty are brought up to speed! Well, that's the official line anyway!!!!!

Makes more sense for MB to spend as much time as possible with the new recruits as possible in order to drill his tactics/monitor fitness. I assume most of the squad came back in good shape, knowing the pressure there would be in those first couple of weeks. Everyone who has travelled knows the system, and training sessions at Thorpe Arch are mainly run by MB's team anyway, so the main man not being in Aus for the initial (mainly commercial) stages of the tour is inconsequential.

Bielsa even had time to take in a pre-season friendly at Valley Parade where Bradford were taking on Liverpool, and guess what? He bumped in Klopp - What are the chances?

Kent would be a good option in attack - clearly has the right attributes to do well wide or as a 10, and would provide some much needed physicality up top.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 am The other 20 clubs in the division will be thinking the same way.

You would hope so Ell but sonehow I don't think it will happen.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 am The other 20 clubs in the division will be thinking the same way.

Doubt it. If Radz pulls the same stunt this year we'll be hammered no doubt.

How can Hillsborough be valued at more than a football club anyway? Radz bought us for less! It's pretty ridiculous that there hadn't been a comment from the FL about it, given that it's a clear exploitation of the rules.
gessa wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am So if clubs adhere to the ffp rules honestly then they are being penalised unfairly by having to sell a player or 2 each year to fit the criteria, so instead of being able to build from within, this is being destoyed by having to sell. Makes no sense to me.
Absolutely this. Yet another example of the imbalance in football. The rule was brought in to stop these mega-rich groups coming in and running teams like it's football manager, but all that's happening is that loopholes are allowing them to continue.

I feel that sometimes we're more cautious of the rules because we've been stung before.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phillips.

£20mil plus Hourihane would be a deal for me, even £15mil i think that would be great business.

MB.

Can understand why MB would be annoyed and if him staying here helps us get Wilson or Kent then all the better, still feel we are 3 players short.

FFP.

Always maintained i see FFP as an excuse Radz can use, still believe that. He could invest more, its nothing to do with FFP he just doesnt want to. FFP is pointless, owners can and do legally invest vast sums but owners like Radz can use it as an excuse.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 pm Phillips.
£20mil plus Hourihane would be a deal for me, even £15mil i think that would be great business.
So who would be our DM Cjay ?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 pm Phillips.

MB.

Can understand why MB would be annoyed and if him staying here helps us get Wilson or Kent then all the better, still feel we are 3 players short.

FFP.

Always maintained i see FFP as an excuse Radz can use, still believe that. He could invest more, its nothing to do with FFP he just doesnt want to. FFP is pointless, owners can and do legally invest vast sums but owners like Radz can use it as an excuse.
We had an option to buy Hourihane from Posh (I think) a few seasons back for 750k
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm We had an option to buy Hourihane from Posh (I think) a few seasons back for 750k
Ooops, Barnsley I meant...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm We had an option to buy Hourihane from Posh (I think) a few seasons back for 750k
Once again we couldn't afford him

In fact it's the same old problem every season
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Isnt Hourihane the one who punched Klich in the stomach at ER ? Wouldn't touch the twat !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:41 pm So who would be our DM Cjay ?
Dont know mate im not a scout.

But i know KP is some sort of deity these days but their are better or as good out there for less then 20mil im absolutely sure of that.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He signed a new contract with Villa the other day anyway, wouldn't be him.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 pm Dont know mate im not a scout.

But i know KP is some sort of deity these days but their are better or as good out there for less then 20mil im absolutely sure of that.
Step up Adam Forshaw :roll: