The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 19th July) - James Chester, Roofe's contract and other news

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 19th July) - James Chester, Roofe's contract and other news

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 19th July, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

James Chester rumour

According to several tabloids, Leeds are in talks with Aston Villa about the availability of James Chester. The 30yo centre back is surplus to requirements at Villa Park following the arrival of Tyrone Mings for 20m.
Dean Smith has already splashed 100m on players this Summer, and must be under some pressure to bring some revenue in.

Based on the fact that Leeds sold Jansson for 4m, supposedly for FFP reasons does this story hold any credence? Why wouldn't Leeds renew their interest in Aiden Flint, who appears to be off to Cardiff City for just 3m!

Whelan -'The owner has to take blame for this'

Noel Whelan has spoken out against Andrea Radrizzani about Roofe's unresolved contract.
You don’t let your top scorer for the last two seasons run his contract down to the final year. That needs looking at from Leeds. The way the club deal with contracts for players has to be changed. Leeds have left themselves unprotected with Roofe. The owner has to take the blame for this. Whoever deals with contracts on the board has to take responsibility.

Roofe is probably worth £8-10m, but because he has only a year left on his contract, his value has dropped to £5million. That’s absolutely nothing these days. That’s a drop in the ocean for Premier League clubs and even big Championship ones. Leeds should have agreed a new contract with Roofe by last Christmas at the latest.
Does our former hitman have a point? Why wasn't his contract extended last Christmas?

In other news...

Leeds are planning on capturing France Under-19 international defender Enzo Valentim. The 18yo right back plays for for Reims II in the fourth tier of French football.

Samuel Saiz has gone. He's joined Spanish side Girona for an undisclosed fee believed to be 2.5m. (What would Jansson and Saiz have been worth 12 months ago)?

Alex Machuca and Oriol Rey are both off to Spain.

Pawel Cibicki is on his way back to ER after Elfsborg tell Leeds they don't have any money!!!

Victor Orta has publically said that he is confident that Kalvin Phillips and Kemar Roofe will sign new contracts at Elland Road.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 19th July) - James Chester, Roofe's contract and other news

Post by 1964white »

We need a experienced leader-type CB who can organise our defence

Always impressed with Chester, seen him play several times

Proper CB, not a makeshift one
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 19th July) - James Chester, Roofe's contract and other news

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Yes, I think James Chester would be a good addition to the squad but it may only be media talk.
We sell Jansson and Chester is surplus to requirements at Villa - the media see a link and make a story out of it.
I think Chester is a bit more mobile than Flint although Flint is a huge unit and obviously useful for set pieces at both ends of the pitch.
Sky are quoting 6m for Flint though, not 3m.

The Samu Saiz saga finally comes to a conclusion and we get 2.5m for him.
I wish him well, I hope he does well at Girona.

Not sure what the future holds for Cibicki now, he obviously has no future at ER.
I think it would be best for all parties if his contract was cancelled by mutual consent to allow him to find another club.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So no one worried he's an inch taller than Beradi....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What about Cibiki can't Elfsborg afford?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 am We need a experienced leader-type CB who can organise our defence

Always impressed with Chester, seen him play several times

Proper CB, not a makeshift one
Morning Leon, yes, Chester would be a good signing.

Is he worth almost as much again as Jansson?

Jansson sold for 4m

Chester available for 7.5m

An extra 3.5m
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 am Morning All,

Yes, I think James Chester would be a good addition to the squad but it may only be media talk.
We sell Jansson and Chester is surplus to requirements at Villa - the media see a link and make a story out of it.
I think Chester is a bit more mobile than Flint although Flint is a huge unit and obviously useful for set pieces at both ends of the pitch.
Sky are quoting 6m for Flint though, not 3m.

The Samu Saiz saga finally comes to a conclusion and we get 2.5m for him.
I wish him well, I hope he does well at Girona.

Not sure what the future holds for Cibicki now, he obviously has no future at ER.
I think it would be best for all parties if his contract was cancelled by mutual consent to allow him to find another club.

Chilli
Morning Chilli, great point about Flint being good at protecting set pieces!

That has to be one of our weaknesses from last season as well as giving way those free kicks in the first place in dangerous positions.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 am What about Cibiki can't Elfsborg afford?
Indeed. Leeds asked for a certain fee. Elfsborg say they don't have the money.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi all,

Q: What's the difference between Whelan and a jet engine?

A: Every now and then the jet engine stops whining
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 am Hi all,

Q: What's the difference between Whelan and a jet engine?

A: Every now and then the jet engine stops whining
Evening Harry
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

“What I can tell you, and it’s quite amusing, I know Nigel Rose, Danny’s dad quite well”

“Tongue-in-cheek he got in touch with me today and said: ‘Jim I’d love for him to go back to Leeds United, the home of the beautiful game”.

“I’m not too sure that’s going to happen Nigel but you tickled me with that this morning.”
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:31 am Indeed. Leeds asked for a certain fee. Elfsborg say they don't have the money.
Then sell him for zilch but with a sell on in case he gets good...Better than an outright release. I'd ask for 50% of any future sale.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:39 am Then sell him for zilch but with a sell on in case he gets good...Better than an outright release. I'd ask for 50% of any future sale.
The club see that he is worth 1.5m, and think they can recoup that elsewhere
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 am So no one worried he's an inch taller than Beradi....
A little bit of a concern although when I've seen him he's looked dominant at the back
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 10.46.41.png
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 10.46.41.png (28.01 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

His tackling maybe a problem too however Chester is accustomed playing as part of a three-man defence, likes to play passes out from the back, obviously reads the game well as he is strong on clearances & also chips in with a few goals.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have no issue with smaller centre backs, it's just seems to be a mantra here that they should be 6'2 plus
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 am I have no issue with smaller centre backs, it's just seems to be a mantra here that they should be 6'2 plus
Of course as a decent tall striker is more likely to win the ball in the air against smaller defender especially outside the prem
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Depends..Chris Wood was tall but could only get 3 inches off the ground, plus smaller CB's tend to be able to jump higher. It really doesn't bother me the height of our CB's. If Chester is a good passer and good on the ball then I'll happily welcome him. We don't want a PJ clone in this system though
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 am So no one worried he's an inch taller than Beradi....
Every inch helps... :-D
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

She's lying