The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 22nd July) - Hernandez Magic and Bamford under attack

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 22nd July) - Hernandez Magic and Bamford under attack

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 22nd July, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Hernandez Magic

Following the misery endured at the hands of Manchester Utd almost a week ago, Leeds returned to winning ways against Western Sydney Wanderers courtesy of a sublime 20 yard strike from teenage sensation Mateusz Bogusz and an individual piece of magic that Messi would have been proud of from Hernandez.

The game itself was frustrating; apart from the wonder goals, the Whites found it extremely difficult to unlock WSW's defence and were thwarted time and time again. The forward line of Roofe and Bamford are likely not to change between now and the opening game of the season at Ashton Gate.

Bogusz strike was the first ever goal scored at the brand new Bankwest Stadium.

Bamford under attack

The social media boo boys were in fine voice as Patrick Bamfords goal drought continued. The 25yo forward has not scored since his goal v Wigan back in April. Let's compare Bamfords strike rate against the best strikers Leeds have had in recent years:-

Beckford 1.77
Wood 2.02
Bamford 2.44
Becchio 2.53
McCormack 2.71
Roofe 3.92

In other news

Roofe was pictured in a leg cast following their 201 victory over WSW.

Noel Whelan has attacked Marcelo Bielsa for not giving young Clarke Oduor some minutes under his belt during their Australian tour. Why fly him half way around the World to sit on the bench?

Victor Orta believes he knows why Costa decided to move to Elland Road instead of going elsewhere:-
"Now all the people enjoy the TV watching our football and this is the decision [reason why] Helder Costa prefer join us than prefer perhaps back on loan in Portugal or Germany first division, or another country, because we have now the identity to attract players.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 22nd July) - Hernandez Magic and Bamford under attack

Post by weasel »

The game itself was frustrating; apart from the wonder goals, the Whites found it extremely difficult to unlock WSW's defence and were thwarted time and time again. The forward line of Roofe and Bamford are likely not to change between now and the opening game of the season at Ashton Gate.

We found it easy to unlock the defence, we just struggled to score.

The social media boo boys were in fine voice as Patrick Bamfords goal drought continued. The 25yo forward has not scored since his goal v Wigan back in April.

Every striker goes through bad runs, social media w*nkers post lots of posts that are poor yet no one does stats on them.

Noel Whelan has attacked Marcelo Bielsa for not giving young Clarke Oduor some minutes under his belt during their Australian tour. Why fly him half way around the World to sit on the bench?

Hhmm maybe so Odour would get to see how first team players prepare, get to train with them and get to know them so they become more like friends than footballers he has seen in passing. Leeds's best work last summer was done on the training pitch rather than in any of the friendly matches. Minutes on the pitch are not as important under Bielsa.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 22nd July) - Hernandez Magic and Bamford under attack

Post by HarryofOz »

Hey Whelan, how about you shut the f**k up
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Whelan is just getting embarrassing now....bit like a drunk lecherous uncle at a wedding..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hernandez

Pablo's goal was a right-side version of Eddie's 2nd v Burnley 8-)

Where would we be without our little magician, a class above the rest

Bamford/Roofe

As mentioned many times both Paddy & Kemar need to stay fit & be more clinical in front of goal if they wish to head the the championship's goalscorers chart.

Can't see it myself!

Whelan

Didn't Odour get twelve minutes v WSW ? also he was probably there for the experience a youth would relish especially as quite a few of the first-teamers were left at TA

I wish Whelan would shut his gob :shhh:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 am Whelan is just getting embarrassing now....bit like a drunk lecherous uncle at a wedding..
He has achieved the incredible, in making me want to hear more from Danny Mills again.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:24 am He has achieved the incredible, in making me want to hear more from Danny Mills again.

:lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:24 am He has achieved the incredible, in making me want to hear more from Danny Mills again.
Dear god, man!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 am Dear god, man!
:lol: :lol:
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sprake1 »

Morning.

Bamford I have always thought is not a Leeds Utd. kind of player. Not a bad player just not our type.
Roofe blow hot and cold in games, but put in much more energy than Bamford.
Edmondson promising, strong and know where the goal is. Reminds me of the one and only Mick Jones.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sprake1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am Morning.

Bamford I have always thought is not a Leeds Utd. kind of player. Not a bad player just not our type.
Edmondson promising, strong and know where the goal is. Reminds me of the one and only Mick Jones.
And what a No.9 Mick Jones was, a terrific player who should have gained more England caps than his paltry two appearances
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: And what a No.9 Mick Jones was, a terrific player who should have gained more England caps than his paltry two appearances
The season hasn't kicked off yet and already quite a few are saying the same old things...the front 2 aren't clinical enough and the defence needs strengthing. This is quite obvious to us and has been for some sometime. MB commented on it numerous times last season but has kept the same front 2 so he must have worked absolute miracles with them during pre-season so if there isn't any marked improvement there's only one person to blame and he should know it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lets not forget Wood was junk first season, if we constantly give up on players then we deserve to be championship...Players have good seasons and they have not so good seasons,

Bamford had a injury plagued debut season in a difficult system. He could probably could have done with a run in the reserves but he got needed. As CJay points out he's a Bielsa type forward but he's lacking in confidence right now.

All of Roofe's finishes last year were the mark of a top predator...one touch stuff in the main. He seldom missed a sitter unless a bit rusty off injury. Like the game he missed the pen. He also had to move to AMF after Bamford won the CF position.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Sprake1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am Morning.

Edmonson will get his chance this season I reckon, especially if an injury or two crops up in that area. He's spent pre season working with some key first team players, so I think Bielsa feels he's ready to make the step up when the opportunity comes.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:22 am Edmonson will get his chance this season I reckon, especially if an injury or two crops up in that area. He's spent pre season working with some key first team players, so I think Bielsa feels he's ready to make the step up when the opportunity comes.
It's big step up from U23's to the Championship of course but Edmundson's scoring record right back to his York City days is very good.
Other's from the U23's have made the step up almost seamlessly so why shouldn't he?
Having seen him at Colchester in March and again against Tadcaster last week, he seems pretty mobile for such a big unit and he's prepared to work back and do the 'ugly stuff' when he loses possession.
If he keeps banging them in for the U23's he must surely get a look in at some point this season?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:51 am It's big step up from U23's to the Championship of course but Edmundson's scoring record right back to his York City days is very good.
Other's from the U23's have made the step up almost seamlessly so why shouldn't he?
Having seen him at Colchester in March and again against Tadcaster last week, he seems pretty mobile for such a big unit and he's prepared to work back and do the 'ugly stuff' when he loses possession.
If he keeps banging them in for the U23's he must surely get a look in at some point this season?
Everyone's got to start somewhere and we're fortunate to have a manager who feels the same way.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:58 am And what a No.9 Mick Jones was, a terrific player who should have gained more England caps than his paltry two appearances
Could do with him now!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm Could do with him now!
Absolutely. We could have done with Norman Hunter in the second leg v Derby. Unlike Cooper, Hunter would have cleared that ball taking out everything else in sight...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:06 am The season hasn't kicked off yet and already quite a few are saying the same old things...the front 2 aren't clinical enough and the defence needs strengthing. This is quite obvious to us and has been for some sometime. MB commented on it numerous times last season but has kept the same front 2 so he must have worked absolute miracles with them during pre-season so if there isn't any marked improvement there's only one person to blame and he should know it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
A class striker & experienced CB is all that is required, easy as that BG they are out there!

Let see if we make it easy for ourselves, with the right signings we'd probably romp this league

LUFC always do things the hard way & I suspect more squeaky bum times in 2020

Did you know we missed out on Alan Ball & Asa Hartford in the Revie-era ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm Could do with him now!
I remember his hattrick v Man Ure

I can go back further when Mick played for the blunts at the then three-sided Bramall Lane.
Sheff Utd keeper was either injured or sent off so were down to ten men, their outside right (as they called wingers then) Alan Woodward went between the sticks, the blunts scored & we lost the game 1-0