Where will the Mighty Leeds finish the 19/20 season?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Where will the Mighty Leeds finish this season

First or Second (Auto)
38%
Third to Sixth (Playoffs)
50%
Seventh to Twelfth (Top Half)
13%
Thirteenth to Eighteenth (Minor flirtation with relegation)
No votes
Nineteenth to Twenty Fourth (Full blown relegation battle)
No votes

Total votes: 24

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Where will the Mighty Leeds finish the 19/20 season?

Post by The Subhuman »

Based on no major additions. Where will we finish.

I'll expect those who think we've not done enough this off season to place us in the top half or lower bracket

Remember, not where we SHOULD finish, but where YOU THINK we'll finish
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Re: Where will the Mighty Leeds finish the 19/20 season?

Post by hector »

I think 1st or 2nd with MB still here, we have continuity, and that will work wonders.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ist or second requires two three things to come together. Good players and manager (check), A season without too many injuries or suspensions, A large dose of luck.

I'm not sure we'll get the latter so I think worst case is 6th, I'm veering toward 3rd or 4th

There will be one unexpected top 6 team, a team riding their luck into the playoffs and 4 hard working good teams usually in or around the mix
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Gonna go with 2nd. I feel that we're stronger with the new signings despite losing Jansson, and the only possible way to better last season is autos. Still don't want to be so bold as to say we'll win it (though we have a better chance than most), so I'll go with second.

I also can't see any teams going on the kind of streak the Blunts and Budgies did.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1 would say top 6 although a lot of factors come into play in terms of exactly where we will finish. If we are a bit more clinical we should win the title at a canter, last year we dominated chances in all but a handful of matches and with us being a year wiser we should see some players improving, noticeably the likes of Harrison, and be better than last season.

I certainly don't buy into the argument that we are no longer a surprise team or that teams have worked us out. Nobody really worked us out last season and after the first few matches we were no longer a surprise outfit. It wasn't like we changed tactics but yet nobody really dominated a match against us - the closest being WBA in the first meeting although the scoreline flattered them.

I don't have concerns defensively, I am happy to accept that we will concede sloppy goals at times it is unfortunately the price that has to be paid when you play Bielsa ball but the risks are definitely worth it. In fact I don't really have any concerns with the team and barring horrendous injuries there is little to suggest we would do worse than last season. Marginal improvement and we finish top 2 barring 2 teams having great seasons and I don't see any other team doing that.

So given all that Champions by at least 10 points and either Roofe or Bamford getting 30+ goals (or 40+ between them if they play as a pair).
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

3rd to 6th if we get more luck with injuries and atleast 2 more high quality signings.

But without id say 7th to 10th where we were for the last 20 odd games form wise, that wasnt an accident our form for half the season was mid table.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Just outside playoffs simply because they haven't improved on the front 2 and Leeds will be predominantly relying on them for the goals.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Still worried about our defensive frailties and our lack of more lethal finishing, but I am sure that we will still boss alot of games but without those 2 areas being improved I do fear that it will be a tough ask to finish in top 6......BUT I am an eternal pessimist when it comes to LUFC !!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I haven't come to a decision yet however I do think we'll go well

I predicted us to finish 3rd last season.....can we go one or even two better ??

Also thought we'd fail in the play-offs :P
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So two have said below 6th yet only one vote for the third choice
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Top 2 for me if we sign another CB and either another CF or Roofe ( he’ll be our top scorer), Bambi (not on recent form) or Edmondson step up and give us the goals we’ll definitely need
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm Top 2 for me if we sign another CB and either another CF or Roofe ( he’ll be our top scorer), Bambi (not on recent form) or Edmondson step up and give us the goals we’ll definitely need
But assume we don't ..still top 2?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm Top 2 for me if we sign another CB and either another CF or Roofe ( he’ll be our top scorer), Bambi (not on recent form) or Edmondson step up and give us the goals we’ll definitely need
I wouldn't argue with that :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Grrr

Why am I being signed out?

I had a big post written and it disappeared.

Here are the highlights:

I reckon playoffs but am worried we will lose MB and end up in the doldrums...

Roofe and Bamford are injury prone and we don't have cover. Dont say Edmunson he wont score 20 goals this time.
Can Costa take a corner? 1. We have no-one who can and our strikers are either too short or too light to score headers.

While I agree that we will concede silly goals due to Bielsaball we need to change our mentality on the pitch. Last season we had won against Wigan but noone knew how to adapt our game after the early goal and them going a man down. Ditto Derby, at 2-0 on aggr and even when we got to 3-3 and lost Berardi we were still going awol at the back. Our mentailty needs to change. Not sure how this is achieved but it does. Sit on leads, use our fitness and ball skills to tire out the oppo.. Not hell for leather attacking it may look pretty but it will see us back to square 1 again.
Beradi is a walking red card and Cooper a walking free kick.

In short this squad is a top 6. Two good signings ( one now and one in Jan )and we could be autos.

And Kiko.. please, the next time you face a penalty, try and do a bit more than just fall over on your arse.. please.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

faaip wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:54 pm But assume we don't ..still top 2?
Possibly not :(
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 pm Grrr

Why am I being signed out?

I had a big post written and it disappeared.

Here are the highlights:

I reckon playoffs but am worried we will lose MB and end up in the doldrums...

Roofe and Bamford are injury prone and we don't have cover. Dont say Edmunson he wont score 20 goals this time.
Can Costa take a corner? 1. We have no-one who can and our strikers are either too short or too light to score headers.

While I agree that we will concede silly goals due to Bielsaball we need to change our mentality on the pitch. Last season we had won against Wigan but noone knew how to adapt our game after the early goal and them going a man down. Ditto Derby, at 2-0 on aggr and even when we got to 3-3 and lost Berardi we were still going awol at the back. Our mentailty needs to change. Not sure how this is achieved but it does. Sit on leads, use our fitness and ball skills to tire out the oppo.. Not hell for leather attacking it may look pretty but it will see us back to square 1 again.
Beradi is a walking red card and Cooper a walking free kick.

In short this squad is a top 6. Two good signings ( one now and one in Jan )and we could be autos.

And Kiko.. please, the next time you face a penalty, try and do a bit more than just fall over on your arse.. please.
Unsure why you are being signed out Ian, pm Yorkshire Square if the problem continues.

We need to learn how to win or even draw certain games as the top two clearly did last season. Winning games scruffily is not a bad habit, we can't be showing the naivety as we did v Derby when we were 2 goals up, hopefully we've learned from our mistakes
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 pm We need to learn how to win or even draw certain games as the top two clearly did last season. Winning games scruffily is not a bad habit, we can't be showing the naivety as we did v Derby when we were 2 goals up, hopefully we've learned from our mistakes
Always a tricky one because if you suddenly try to sit on a lead you simply invite pressure on. Against Derby we were rampant after we went 1-0 up at Elland Road and had 3 or 4 excellent chances to go further in front before they equalised, another goal at that point and we probably go on to win 4 or 5 nil against a completely overwhelmed side.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:39 pm Always a tricky one because if you suddenly try to sit on a lead you simply invite pressure on. Against Derby we were rampant after we went 1-0 up at Elland Road and had 3 or 4 excellent chances to go further in front before they equalised, another goal at that point and we probably go on to win 4 or 5 nil against a completely overwhelmed side.
I'm not keen when we sit back because we are not great defensively but I do expect us to remain tight & solid when we have a lead. Unfortunately we opened up like the Red Sea in those 20 minutes of madness v Derby. All hindsight I know, I still believe we'd have won that game or at least made it through to the PO Final had Pontus been on the pitch.
I don't care what anyone thinks Jansson was our best CB & you should always play your best players especially in big games such as that one, he wouldn't have bottled it like Cooper & Berardi
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:51 am I'm not keen when we sit back because we are not great defensively but I do expect us to remain tight & solid when we have a lead. Unfortunately we opened up like the Red Sea in those 20 minutes of madness v Derby. All hindsight I know, I still believe we'd have won that game or at least made it through to the PO Final had Pontus been on the pitch.
I don't care what anyone thinks Jansson was our best CB & you should always play your best players especially in big games such as that one, he wouldn't have bottled it like Cooper & Berardi
Yet you selected to keep Berardi in the team prior to the 2nd leg - all hindsight now as it was almost like a perfect storm occurred in Derby's favour for them to win a match in which they had been getting battered it seemed like panic set in over ER. If we'd played Derby 10 times last season that would have been the only match we'd have lost.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Automatic promotion is a realistic ambition.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.