Starting line-up?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Site Admin
Site Admin
Twitter: @motforum

Starting line-up?

Post by YorkshireSquare » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 am

So, with most of the first team friendlies out of the way how do we all think we will line up against Bristol and in what formation?
Help the site by making your Amazon purchases through our afiliate link.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Starting line-up?

Post by gessa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:12 am

.................Kiko................

Dallas........Cooper.......Berardi.......Douglas

..........................Phillips..................

Costa........Pablo........Klich.........Harrison

..............................Bamford................

Is what I think will start.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:16 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:12 am
.................Kiko................

Dallas........Cooper.......Berardi.......Douglas

..........................Phillips..................

Costa........Pablo........Klich.........Harrison

..............................Bamford................

Is what I think will start.
Berardi suspended mate

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 am

..............................Kiko..................................

Dallas........Cooper.......White.......Douglas

.......................... Phillips.................................

Costa..........Pablo.........Klich..........Harrison

...........................Bamford..............................

I just hope Marcelo doesn't play Phillips as a CB bringing in Forshaw as DM, we'd weaken two positions then

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am

1964white wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:16 am
Berardi suspended mate

Oh yes forgot that.

Replace him with White.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 am

gessa wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am
Oh yes forgot that.

Replace him with White.
Easily done mate when you are enjoying yourself on holiday, everything becomes a blur & sheer bliss too :)

Team picks itself imo !

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:40 am

Alioski for Douglas.

Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:16 am

1964white wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 am
..............................Kiko..................................

Dallas........Cooper.......White.......Douglas

.......................... Phillips.................................

Costa..........Pablo.........Klich..........Harrison

...........................Bamford..............................

I just hope Marcelo doesn't play Phillips as a CB bringing in Forshaw as DM, we'd weaken two positions then
I think he'll go with this. The only question mark is whether he plays Forshaw who he seems to like so that could be at Phillips expense

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:52 am

Phillips starts if fit or not suspended, it's a no brainer. He'd be gone if he wasn't going to be an important cog. I do think Forshaw can cover any of the middle of the park roles just fine and gets on the bench for me.

GK - Casilla - obviously starts, I still think BPF maybe number 2 as some talk of carrying an injury this pre season, Miazek in the back up mix to

RWB - Dallas will get first shot at RB but Ayling when fit and Beradi will be ready to pounce once available

LWB - The investment in Douglas will see him get first shot, Davis and Alioski await but I'm still not buying Gianni as a defender till he learns the position better. Clark Oduor is not far off either

RCB - White gets the nod, an accomplished on the ball CD will get better every game he plays. Beradi again waits and will be another key bench player this season

LCB - Cooper will be the first name on the team sheet as our captain, behind him is Beradi and Struick imo

DMF - Phillips is a no brainer, it's his position till he goes, Forshaw is a good back up at this point and key bench player. McCalamont is getting very close to stepping up imo

RSM - Tricky one to call as our recent record signing and our POTS last two seasons play best there - Costa probably starts there and Pablo central but I think this could flip in game regularly and in addition I think we'll flip Harrison to the right at times too. There's some very interesting options in the reserves too

CMF - Klich, my POTS last year, does the dirty work and the creative stuff, weighs in with goals very well considering he's not the AMF. Forshaw again backs him up. Jordan Stevens and Robbie Gotts are two highly promising U23's

LSM - Harrison - One of the last names on the starting sheet for me as it's an open position, if he does start he'll get backed up by Alioski who's very close and we could see a bit of a time share there. Unless we work Costa from here exclusively one of theses two should play all season

AMF - Hernandez - But again I think we'll see a lot of in game movement with Costa moving in and Klich moving up as our creative mids circle the position...]Bogusz will be an important sub for the season unless injury strikes and promotes him

CF/S - Bamford - Easy call with Roofe's injury, Roberts not yet available yet but both will be back hopefully very soon. I'd imagine Mujica or Edmondson will man the bench until the return of the injured
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Chilli D wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:16 am
I think he'll go with this. The only question mark is whether he plays Forshaw who he seems to like so that could be at Phillips expense
Bl**dy hell NO Chilli

Phillips has to be one of the first names on the team sheet along with Pablo & our captain of course

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm

SaraM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:40 am
Alioski for Douglas.
Toss of coin this one Sara

Douglas is a natural LB & if he finds his Wolves form it's a no brainer. If Barry under-performs then Alioski will be busting a gut to jump into his boots although young Davis could be pushing for a place if both mess up !

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:53 pm

1964white wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Toss of coin this one Sara

Douglas is a natural LB & if he finds his Wolves form it's a no brainer. If Barry under-performs then Alioski will be busting a gut to jump into his boots although young Davis could be pushing for a place if both mess up !
I don't see what Douglas brings tbh. Alio creates stuff and he frightens people. He's also capable of a cross and a shot on target. Not the most natural defender, maybe, but that doesn't seem to be our priority, and he brings more to the overall team performance and spirit. Don't know enough about Davis to comment.

Irish Ian
First Team
First Team

Post by Irish Ian » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:00 pm

faaip wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:52 am
Phillips starts if fit or not suspended, it's a no brainer. He'd be gone if he wasn't going to be an important cog. I do think Forshaw can cover any of the middle of the park roles just fine and gets on the bench for me.

GK - Casilla - obviously starts, I still think BPF maybe number 2 as some talk of carrying an injury this pre season, Miazek in the back up mix to

RWB - Dallas will get first shot at RB but Ayling when fit and Beradi will be ready to pounce once available

LWB - The investment in Douglas will see him get first shot, Davis and Alioski await but I'm still not buying Gianni as a defender till he learns the position better. Clark Oduor is not far off either

RCB - White gets the nod, an accomplished on the ball CD will get better every game he plays. Beradi again waits and will be another key bench player this season

LCB - Cooper will be the first name on the team sheet as our captain, behind him is Beradi and Struick imo

DMF - Phillips is a no brainer, it's his position till he goes, Forshaw is a good back up at this point and key bench player. McCalamont is getting very close to stepping up imo

RSM - Tricky one to call as our recent record signing and our POTS last two seasons play best there - Costa probably starts there and Pablo central but I think this could flip in game regularly and in addition I think we'll flip Harrison to the right at times too. There's some very interesting options in the reserves too

CMF - Klich, my POTS last year, does the dirty work and the creative stuff, weighs in with goals very well considering he's not the AMF. Forshaw again backs him up. Jordan Stevens and Robbie Gotts are two highly promising U23's

LSM - Harrison - One of the last names on the starting sheet for me as it's an open position, if he does start he'll get backed up by Alioski who's very close and we could see a bit of a time share there. Unless we work Costa from here exclusively one of theses two should play all season

AMF - Hernandez - But again I think we'll see a lot of in game movement with Costa moving in and Klich moving up as our creative mids circle the position...]Bogusz will be an important sub for the season unless injury strikes and promotes him

CF/S - Bamford - Easy call with Roofe's injury, Roberts not yet available yet but both will be back hopefully very soon. I'd imagine Mujica or Edmondson will man the bench until the return of the injured
Agree with that.

Plenty of fluidity, and with Ailioski, Clarke, Bogusz and Davis on the bench we look a very strong team. Only obvious worry is a striker...
"We can wait for the next game with serenity"

"I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it"

Marcelo Bielsa.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

SaraM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:53 pm
I don't see what Douglas brings tbh. Alio creates stuff and he frightens people. He's also capable of a cross and a shot on target. Not the most natural defender, maybe, but that doesn't seem to be our priority, and he brings more to the overall team performance and spirit. Don't know enough about Davis to comment.
Problem for me with Alio is he wins only in defence with enthusiasm, he's a go to ground tackler, get's caught out of position even when already in defence and tbh I called 3 pens or dangerous FK at least that just went our way when he sits down to tackle. I think he'd comfortably lead the table inFK and pens conceded if he plays there all season..he's probably at U23 level defence wise and behind both Oduor and Davis as a defender ...

I agree the attacking part is excellent though.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

SaraM
First Team
First Team

Post by SaraM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:03 pm

faaip wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm
Problem for me with Alio is he wins only in defence with enthusiasm, he's a go to ground tackler, get's caught out of position even when already in defence and tbh I called 3 pens or dangerous FK at least that just went our way when he sits down to tackle. I think he'd comfortably lead the table inFK and pens conceded if he plays there all season..he's probably at U23 level defence wise and behind both Oduor and Davis as a defender ...

Do you think his defensive play is something he could improve?

Overall I suppose it depends on where MB sees the balance between attack and defense as to who is most effective in the team overall.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:31 pm

I think any footballer, given the time, can learn a new position. Right now I think we have 2 or 3 better left backs on roster, speaking defensively.
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 pm

SaraM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:53 pm
Nor do I Sara tbh

For me Douglas is a natural LB, he's over his injury now & had a pre-season so no excuses this time. If he doesn't shape himself then a bench place is the best he can expect.

Douglas was one of the biggest disappointments of last season imo!

1964white

Post by 1964white » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:02 pm

faaip wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Can't argue with that. Ali needs to improve his crossing though

If Douglas p*sses me off at Bristol I'll be shouting for Ali or Davis to sub him & hope Bielsa would bench him for the Forest home game.

His position is the most precarious one in the team right now, time for Barry to step up to the plate & show us the form he possessed at Wolves

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Douglas, like others who had an injury, needs a run for us to really judge...
GET IN THE BOAT AND ROW

YorkshireSquare
Site Admin
Site Admin
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 pm

I note Ali and Dallas are listed as defenders on the clubs site. Is this because Bielsa sees them mainly filling these roles or because they want to make it look like we have more defenders than we actually do?
Help the site by making your Amazon purchases through our afiliate link.

Advertisment