Today's Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Today's Games - The Final

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 pm Sending off offences include serious fould play and vilolent conduct. I'm not sure how grabbing someone round the neck and pulling them to the floor isn't covered by either?

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

VIOLENT CONDUCT
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
It was a horse collar professional foul and very dangerous. Big difference between grabbing a shirt from the bottom and pulling or even half way up and around the neck which can cause all kinds of issues. Definite red. The tackle on Grealish was also studs up and we've seen a few LUFC players see red for that..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Just got home from work and read the last five or six pages…

I’m with liggy on this one 👍🏻

Belgium, Nederlands, France, and Portugal, who finished behind Germany, were not good enough to be in a position to be playing us in the semi- final, let alone the final.
We either beat or remained unbeaten against everyone we played and didn’t look like we were going to lose against any of them.
Italy had more possession but didn’t really threaten us apart from one dangerous shot on target which Pickford palmed away to his left.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

At least I won £20 on the £10 free bet that bet365 gave me for a full time draw.

I wonder why they do that and is it to gather data on how people will bet?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:26 pm Pickford should have gone ahead of Saka. Asking that of a 19 year old was asking too much. Pickford would have tried to burst the ball, like he always does with his clearances, and if Donnarumma got a hand to it he would have broken all his fingers, then Kalvin could have stepped up to slot in the winner.

If Carlsberg did fairy tales !
It begs the question of why he was called up in the first place if he couldn't handle the pressure? Harrison, JWP, Maddison had better seasons and missed out. But Mbappe was the same age in the WC, so if you're good enough, you're old enough.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm Difficult to get excited over England's style of play after watching Bielsa's Leeds over the last three seasons.
That's why I find it weird that so many Leeds are happy to celebrate this negative manager. Put Bielsa in charge last night, and we'd have won.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 pm Sending off offences include serious fould play and vilolent conduct. I'm not sure how grabbing someone round the neck and pulling them to the floor isn't covered by either?

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

VIOLENT CONDUCT
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
I don't like these cynical, or 'tactical fouls', as they're now called, but they're a part of the game and not a red. If Maguire had done that on Chiesa, we'd be praising him for taking one for the team.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Who was the warrior and who was the wuss?Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:37 pm I don't like these cynical, or 'tactical fouls', as they're now called, but they're a part of the game and not a red. If Maguire had done that on Chiesa, we'd be praising him for taking one for the team.

Think there is a difference between a 'tactical foul' and nearly strangling someone. If he barges him then it's a fair yellow, but dragging him back by his shirt neck is surely excessive force?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 pm That's why I find it weird that so many Leeds are happy to celebrate this negative manager. Put Bielsa in charge last night, and we'd have won.
Yes, because Bielsa won so much in his six years as manager of Argentina.

I heard he won every single game and every tournament he entered...
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

P.s. In his one World Cup with Argentina they lost to England and finished behind us and Sweden in the group stage, not progressing!
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:29 pm Don't you mean the 'other' big ones ;-)
Haha, pure class ws :ok:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 pm Yes, because Bielsa won so much in his six years as manager of Argentina.

He won the Olympics, more than Southgate ever will. Maybe we should sack Bielsa and replace him with Southgate? :duno:

And I said Bielsa would've won LAST NIGHT, not every major tournament. He wouldn't have cowardly hid and parked the bus rather than taking the game to the Italians.

I've never seen England get as much luck and penalties as we have under Southgate, yet he still bottled it.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Allrounder wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm Excellent post WR! Lovely read, and for a person like me who has English as his 5th language I enjoy lenghty posts like this, also picking up a phrase here and there :)

Yes, the upcoming season would be fun, if Orta can serve us with a couple of more class players then we are ready to go and challenge the big ones.
Hi AR,

Thanks for your kind words they're much appreciated. Five languages is very impressive. I can speak a bit of Bulgarian, and also fluent in Cumbrian, which is only recognized as a language by us Cumbrians :lol:

Yeah, Leeds are definitely on the right path, would be nice to make a marquee signing like Nahitan Nandez, but not sure that'll happen.

I see that Rodrigo De Paul has gone to Atletico Madrid, he'll never know what he's missed by not coming to us and Bielsa :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I watched some of the videos of the violence in London before, during and following the match.

Disgraceful and pathetic behaviour. I don't understand the mentality to want to go and give some happy, celebrating Italian, or anyone really, a kicking just because your team got beat. It's a game of footy, take it like a man, pat the fella on the back, shake his hand and buy him a pint.

Just as bad is the racist abuse of our players. What pathetic cowards are those that do this stuff? These lads tried their best, and have just had their hearts ripped out and then some sick excuse for a human comes along to kick them while they're down. FFS, how pathetic and embarrassing.

I don't really want to see what these sick cretins wrote as it'll just make me sick. I saw that interview between Ian Wright Wright and Shearer a while back, and Shearer, and myself, were absolutely shocked and disgusted by the disgusting abuse such a nice fella like Wrighty receives every day. Makes me sick to my stomach, and I'm a lucky lad that's never been subjected to racist abuse.

What a world we live in, this crap really does need to stop forever :x
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 pm Yes, because Bielsa won so much in his six years as manager of Argentina.

Not read the whole thread but not sure why poor Marcelo is being attacked :(
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:43 pm He won the Olympics, more than Southgate ever will. Maybe we should sack Bielsa and replace him with Southgate? :duno:

And I said Bielsa would've won LAST NIGHT, not every major tournament. He wouldn't have cowardly hid and parked the bus rather than taking the game to the Italians.

I've never seen England get as much luck and penalties as we have under Southgate, yet he still bottled it.
This must be a joke post surely 😂😂😂😂
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:17 pm Not read the whole thread but not sure why poor Marcelo is being attacked :(
Not attacking, I love him, but I realise he's not a miracle worker otherwise he would have a trophy cabinet full of trophies (which he doesn't) and would be managing the world's best teams.

Boy is he fantastic but it's foolish to think he's some form of managerial God. I think a lot of people will be in for shock this season. It will be an extremely tough second season and I think we'll finish lower than last year, and it'll be very interesting to see how people react - will we get the petulant England reaction we have seen today or will we get a more understanding one?
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

danhirons wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 pm Not attacking, I love him, but I realise he's not a miracle worker otherwise he would have a trophy cabinet full of trophies (which he doesn't) and would be managing the world's best teams.

Boy is he fantastic but it's foolish to think he's some form of managerial God. I think a lot of people will be in for shock this season. It will be an extremely tough second season and I think we'll finish lower than last year, and it'll be very interesting to see how people react - will we get the petulant England reaction we have seen today or will we get a more understanding one?
How Much?...wanna put your money where your mouth is about this season? :)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm This must be a joke post surely 😂😂😂😂
What's the joke?

Southgate won't win anything?
Bielsa would've taken the game to Italians and not parked the bus?
England haven't had countless luck and penalties in the last two major tournaments?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 pm Not attacking, I love him, but I realise he's not a miracle worker otherwise he would have a trophy cabinet full of trophies (which he doesn't) and would be managing the world's best teams.

To be fair to MB it's been pretty well established that he could have managed some of Europe's elite in the past should he have wanted to and been willing to be a bit more flexible.

As it is he decided the teams he choose were better for him and sacrificed the likelihood of winning trophies for teams that suited his ideals and morals.

I am concerned i admit, i dont think we will do enough to the squad to counter the dip that imo we are due based on the cycle thread i did a while ago, thats my view, hope to be wrong but id doesnt seem that the necessary 4 or 5 first 11 signings will arrive.

Imo the Southgate/Bielsa debate comes down to style. MB makes us play entertaining football, attacking, fast paced, enthralling.

Win lose or draw its always entertaining and we have a go and i think fans can accept that in our minds even after a defeat.

Criticism still arrives of course but its tempered with an appreciation for what Bielsa is trying to do

And also MB has an aura, a reputation, tons of respect in the football world.

Southgate doesnt, he is the dull bloke who got Boro relegated and who Boro fans will tell you bored them to tears for years with his style of play.

He is the next generation Steve Bruce, Big Sam etc.

A safety first risk averse win if you can but dont lose is a must manager.

And that has a limit.

People dont like the style, they respect it if it wins trophies and if it is necessary (like if you need a firefighter manager to save you from relegation). But nobody looks forward to it and if it doesnt bring Trophies like Simeone at Madrid or Jose over the years then people are much more inclined to get upset because they arent particularly entertained either.

Thats my opinion.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom