The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Aug) - Opening day win, Roofe to depart in next 24 hours

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Aug) - Opening day win, Roofe to depart in next 24 hours

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 5th August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Opening day victory

A dominant Leeds side made easy work of Bristol City at Ashton Gate yesterday courtesy of a moment of magic from Hernandez, a bullet header from Bamford and a clinical strike from a rejuvenated Harrison! Only a late consolation goal from the home side with 11 minutes left Leeds in disarray as the Robins launched assault after assault on the Leeds goal, but Bielsa's men stood firm

After the game, City's Manager Lee Johnson said the following:-
"We were honest, we worked our socks off, but inevitably they had more quality than us. We didn't cope with their relentless pressing. "We need a bit more quality, which hopefully we'll get in the next few days.
"It's a good standard for the lads to feel, because if [Leeds] keep that XI fit, they are top, top for the Championship. They were better than us and we have to be honest about that."
Bielsa also spoke to the press, and had the following to say:-
"We managed both halves very well in the first 30 minutes, but at the same time, in the last 15 minutes we conceded too much possession"

Roofe transfer likely to happen in next 24 hours

As talks continued over the weekend between Anderlecht and the Leeds Utd hierarchy, it has become more and more likely that our leading scorer from last season will be on his way to Belgium in the next 24 hours with a fee of 7m being agreed between the two parties.

Speculation is rife over social media about who his replacement will be? The names being touted about with some credibility are Toon Striker Dwight Gayle, Vydra from Burnley, Ryan Kent from Liverpool and a host of strikers from Serie A and La Liga. One name we can cross off that list is Vydra. According to Leeds journalist Phil Hay, Leeds are not interested in the Czech Republic International. The deadline on transfers is pm this Thursday. How many incoming player will Leeds bring in? Who would you like to see sign?

All other news

Hernandez and Bamford stayed behind to applaud the away Leeds fans to thank them for singing Bamford’s name as he headed off the pitch.

What did you make of Casilla's performance? Is he good enough for the No1 jersey? If not, we have until Thursday to replace him?

What kind of impact would you imagine Jack Clarke will have this season?

Having left the YEP, we assumed that we had lost Phil Hay forever. However he is not going far away:-

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Aug) - Opening day win, Roofe to depart in next 24 hours

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 am Good Morning. It's Friday 2nd August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...
Quick everyone get a bet on Pablo getting the first goal and Leeds winning 3-1 - I had a weird dream that took in a whole weekend.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 5th Aug) - Opening day win, Roofe to depart in next 24 hours

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks great to get the season off to a winning start.

Now get some players in, that bench didn't have a striker on it!

Kiko. I feel absolute dread everytime the ball goes anywhere near him. I wonder how the defence feels?

Clarke. Should come off the bench a few times to build up his confidence. I didn't like Klich playing on the right yesterday hopefully Clarke can make that position his own.

Transfers. Vydra? While I admire Kent I wonder if he is the correct fit.
Last edited by Irish Ian on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

How many incoming player will Leeds bring in? Who would you like to see sign?

Probably just another striker or Kent. With Kent able to play out wide or in the no.10 role it gives us options and flexibility to rotate a bit more.

What did you make of Casilla's performance? Is he good enough for the No1 jersey? If not, we have until Thursday to replace him?

An interesting performance - he is excellent at reading the danger and coming out to clear with his feet, there will be the odd occasion when he gets it wrong but overall will save us many situations where the opposition would get a shot in. One occasion yesterday when he came out in the first half and although the Bristol player got to the ball first, and took an excellent touch, Kiko was able to clear. If Kiko hadn't come out there the Bristol player was clean through, would have likely taken another touch and then been in a position to smash it in from 10 yards out with no defender near him.
His taking of crosses is a bit hit and miss but great that he has the confidence to come rather than just being rooted on his line. I am sure as the season continues he will get better at judging these as it is something that will be fairly new to him having played in Spain where they don't knock in many high crosses.

Would expect him to be eased back in with the occasional sub appearance to build his confidence back up.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 am Quick everyone get a bet on Pablo getting the first goal and Leeds winning 3-1 - I had a weird dream that took in a whole weekend.
Morning Weasel, good spot... :-D
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Having seen us in our new away kit, I don't like it!!!

I far prefer our third kit from last season.
4f6bac72340739.Y3JvcCwxMDgwLDg0NCwwLDA.jpg
4f6bac72340739.Y3JvcCwxMDgwLDg0NCwwLDA.jpg (147.46 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

What do you think was going through Coopers mind at this moment?
0_Bristol-City-v-Leeds-United-040819.jpg
0_Bristol-City-v-Leeds-United-040819.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Before the season I told myself that I wouldn't be upbeat about promotion until the day it happened, but that resolution lasted fill last night. We are going up. Very good performance, not perfect, but very good.

Two particular performances really boosted my confidence, Ben White's and Patrick Bamford's.

Come on you Whites.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Morning all,

I have kept away and kept quiet through the summer and even yesterday kept my distance from the first game in case i put my size 12s right in it.
But, just like last year, we came out of the blocks flying and it seems MB has got it absolutely right in how he sees the team playing and organised.
Still not sure about Kiko either and interesting to see Maizeks promotion to the bench
Gutted that i forgot to put in a prediction!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Dalton wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:32 am
Gutted that i forgot to put in a prediction!
If you fail to put in a prediction next weekend as well, and we win, you are banned from the tipping comp. I'm even prepared to declare you the winner regardless :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Haha! At least i normally got for a win, some go for a loss on the basis that if we win it is a bonus and who cares about the prediction!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 am What do you think was going through Coopers mind at this moment?

"This seems like a good time to lunge in..."
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all,

Aside from a shaky few minutes towards the end, where the midfielders got sloppy and careless and piled needless pressure on the defence, I have to say we really showed Bristol up. Pablo was utterly sublime all game, really looked like he was enjoying himself. Harrison took a bit of time to get into the swing of things but once he did he was always on the end of Ben White's crossfield long balls - inch perfect most of the time - and nabbed himself a sweet little poacher's goal for his efforts. Speaking of White, I touted this lad to be a success and it's good to be vindicated for one game at least. :)

I was praying for Bamford to get off the mark this weekend and so he did, in fine style. Stunning flick from Pablo and Bamford attacked it, marvellous stuff and I'm really happy for the lad. It wasn't just the goal either, his hold up play was exceptional, despite having the entire BC defence hanging off his shirt most of the game.

The goal conceded was disappointing, more for the fact that we seemed to wilt a bit in the face of Bristol's renewed aggression. Composure was lost but regained before injury time, and on the whole it was a well deserved victory where we actually took our chances. It was easy to forget Bristol are one of the playoff contenders, not a poor team by any stretch so it's a good game to scratch off the list early.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:34 am Morning folks great to get the season off to a winning start.

Now get some players in, that bench didn't have a striker on it!

Kiko. I feel absolute dread everytime the ball goes anywhere near him. I wonder how the defence feels?

Clarke. Should come off the bench a few times to build up his confidence. I didn't like Klich playing on the right yesterday hopefully Clarke can make that position his own.

Transfers. Vydra? While I admire Kent I wonder if he is the correct fit.
Morning Ian, true not a striker on the bench, but it was a bench that almost any other side in the Championship would have been envious of!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am Before the season I told myself that I wouldn't be upbeat about promotion until the day it happened, but that resolution lasted fill last night. We are going up. Very good performance, not perfect, but very good.

Two particular performances really boosted my confidence, Ben White's and Patrick Bamford's.

Come on you Whites.
Evening Harry, so pleased for Bamford. He has shown that he isn't scared to shoot and miss...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 am

Would expect him to be eased back in with the occasional sub appearance to build his confidence back up.
If I was Surs, I would want Clarke playing most weekends, bulking and toughening up - that means playing!!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

How many incoming player will Leeds bring in? Who would you like to see sign?

Still need three players imo!

I'd take Gayle in a heartbeat, we'd cruise the championship with that scrote in our squad, but at least he would be our scrote :lol: doubt we can afford him. We need a striker to compete with Bamford, we probably require a back-up striker too

Of couse he's good enough. All the nonsense comparing him with BPF. Kiko is different class. Casilla saved us twice when playing the role of the last defender clearing the ball when Bristol were clean through plus a smart low save at his near post. Caught & punched high balls. Controlled not only his box but a third of the pitch

Would expect him to be eased back in with the occasional sub appearance to build his confidence back up

Jack will struggle to get a first team place especially if we sign Kent too. Sub appearances only I reckon. Hopefully can take his chance when the opportunity arises

Left flank problem (not highlighted)

Douglas had a mare, Alioski was no better. Our best LB in pre-season was young Davis & Leif showed his two experienced colleagues how it is done when he came on. Marcelo will prefer D & A ahead of Davis however I reckon the young lad deserves his chance
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 am What do you think was going through Coopers mind at this moment?

Kiko - "get out of the fecking way Coops, it's my ball you'll only c**k it up"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

A good opening performance yesterday apart from the last 10 minutes but not entirely surprising they took their foot off the gas a little after the third goal.
More worrying was the performance of Douglas who was really poor getting caught out of position numerous times and his tackling was weak. Not at all surprised he got the hook or if he finds himself on the bench on Saturday.
Stand out performances from Ben White and Pablo and most did well although Casilla gave me heart failure a couple of times. And it was a poor attempt at a save for their goal.

Sad that we're losing Roofe but I think MB has set his sights on Kent and the sale of Roofe will fund it.
Whether we get an out and out striker by Thursday remains to be seen.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 am How many incoming player will Leeds bring in? Who would you like to see sign?

Still need three players imo!

I'd take Gayle in a heartbeat, we'd cruise the championship with that scrote in our squad, but at least he would be our scrote :lol: doubt we can afford him. We need a striker to compete with Bamford, we probably require a back-up striker too

Of couse he's good enough. All the nonsense comparing him with BPF. Kiko is different class. Casilla saved us twice when player the role of the last defender clearing the ball when Bristol were clean through plus a smart low save at his near post. Caught & punched high balls. Controlled not only his box but a third of the pitch

Would expect him to be eased back in with the occasional sub appearance to build his confidence back up

Jack will struggle to get a first team place especially if we sign Kent too. Sub appearances only I reckon. Hopefully can take his chance when the opportunity arises

Left flank problem (not highlighted)

Douglas had a mare, Alioski was no better. Our best LB in pre-season was young Davis & Leif showed his two experienced colleagues how it is done when he came on. Marcelo will prefer D & A ahead of Davis however I reckon the young lad deserves his chance
Steve Bruce has ruled out Gayle going anywhere, unfortunately. :(

Agree with you about Kiko. He and Cooper seem much more on the same page on yesterday's evidence, and for all the (fair) complaints of his shakiness on cross, folk seem to have missed at the least three vital saves he made, he was unlucky not to keep a clean sheet.