Are we learning from last season?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Are we learning from last season?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Not had chance to watch too much of us so far this season, caught Bristol and Salford but not Forest or Wigan. For those that have seen all of our games this season have we learned from our mistakes?

Does Foreshaw reduce the change of us getting caught on the break?

Is Klich the answer to the No.10 posission?

Do Bamford and Nketiah look like our strikers will take more of their chances this season?

Is White a serious upgrade on Jansson?

How much have Dallas and Harrison improved?

Has Kiko calmed down? Is he a significant improvement on the BFP of early last season?

How soon do you think before Costa gets a start?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Are we learning from last season?

Post by The Subhuman »

Sort of, I think he helps Kalvin play better by giving him some protection

No, I love Klich but he's not a number 10 atm. That siad I think the #10 will be rotated in game anyway

Do Bamford and Nketiah look like our strikers will take more of their chances this season?

No, but we may create better chances. I don't think there's been an upgrade in personnel but there should be growth. Roofe and Nketiah look like the same player

Yes, but Struijk is probably a downgrade on Pontus as CB4

Harrison is up to speed now, he went away and did what he had to to get stronger in the off season and he's up to pace. Much improved but you could see the quality was there last season..I think he can get better yet. Dallas is learning a new position so always tough, great utility player for us, Improved ? As a player a bit he always was good ..In the system though definitely

Has Kiko calmed down? Is he a significant improvement on the BFP of early last season?

Yes, then again I'm not sure it was his issue to start with

No idea tbh..Injury or suspension seem to be the best way in for our 15M man
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think so, as Faaip said he helps Kalvin more then being offensively good imo. He isnt a box to box mid, but what he lacks in end product he makes up for by being more of a tactical fit. Still think there are games where he is unnecessary, today for example id have taken him off at ht for someone a bit more attacking.

No agree with Faaip but think others will play their eventually.

Bit early to judge Nketiah, Paddy has 3 in 3 so cant complain, if reputation is anything to go by then Nketiah should be an improvement on Roofe.

Far to early to say that, on the ball maybe, he reads the game well but as a pure defender not so sure, thought he struggled with the physically stronger Keifer Moore today.

Dallas looks solid at rb but defensively suspect at times same as always. Harrison looks improved but the end product has to improve still imo, certainly looks more useful theb last season.

Hopefully not to long as i think he has impressed when given a chance. If MB is as good as his word he will rotate more this season, i expect Costa to start this month.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Does Forshaw reduce the change of us getting caught on the break?

Hard to say but certainly Forest offered nothing from open play and one of our biggest weaknesses last season seemed to be getting caught on the break. Forshaw possibly helps this as he has stronger defensive attributes and maybe it makes us keep shape a bit better. Forshaw certainly seems to be highly rated by Bielsa and in my opinion it is little tweaks that needed to be made to last season's formation/tactics rather than ripping it all up. No coincidence that despite the new signings Bielsa is going with players that played last season for him. If Forshaw can add goals to his game, and he should have scored the header yesterday that led to PB's goal, then he could be a huge player for us this season.

Is Klich the answer to the No.10 position?

Like others have mentioned I think we are playing without a player being in a specific 10 role but that the midfield are almost rotating through positions during the match, the flexibility that Bielsa creates allows different players to pop up in different areas and lose their markers. Someone like Bogusz might be more suited to being a normal no10 but in our system he may get a bit lost if he has to do more defensive work.

Hard to say as we have already missed lots of chances. We just have to stop expecting strikers to score every chance. The key is definitely creating better chances with better deliveries into the box. For all we usually get 20 chances per match a lot of those chances aren't good chances. I definitely think Harrison has been told/shown how to put better crosses in and what areas to get into before crossing.

So far he certainly hasn't been a weak link. Hopefully as our defence plays more often they will get stronger as they understand each other's games better.

Dallas has always been dependable no matter where he plays. Too many people focus on the negatives, i.e he hasn't got Usain Bolt's pace, but Dallas is the sort of player that manager's love as he seems happy to play everywhere and will always be steady. Harrison is showing why Bielsa was keen to bring him back.

Kiko is making the saves you expect a decent keeper to make and certainly some of the shots v Salford and even the Wigan free kick are ones that you really would have been worried with if BPF was still in goal. BPF may go on to be a fantastic keeper but we couldn't afford to be the club where he was learning and making mistakes while being the first choice keeper. Kiko looks to be improving aerially too which comes with playing games.

If it ain't broke don't fix it seems to be Bielsa's thought process. Injuries are sure to bite at some point so let's not worry about having good players in reserve.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I think we've made a great start but it's too early to tell. Last time we flew through the first half of the season with no perceived issues. It was in the second half that things turned around, especially in the last month. So I'm afraid we'll have to wait till later to make any judgements.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Does Forshaw reduce the change of us getting caught on the break?
Perhaps, but we don't need to start him at home when teams are parking the bus. I'd like to see Shack start instead on Weds.

Is Klich the answer to the No.10 position?
No. Again, Shack, or Pablo, Bogusz, Costa, Roberts or Clarke would be better options.

We still miss more than we score. Nketiah will be in the right place to finish and his pace will cause problems. Bamford won't suffer two serious injuries this season again, so he'll score 15-20.

He's played well, but is yet to be seriously tested. As I said, the real test will be Cardiff, Millwall, Birmingham etc. Not sure he's physically strong enough for those teams. I think he'd have made a good partnership with Pontus.

I said last year I prefer Dallas to Ayling at RB. Hopefully Ayling won't go straight back in, as he constantly is caught out of possession costing us goals and not convinced he is technically good enough for this team. Dallas at RB has looked good. Harrison improved a lot in the second half of the season, but still doesn't have the end product yet. He should be looking at 8-10 goals this year.

He'll always come for every ball, so his communication with Cooper particularly is important. He's made some good saves, I think BPF might have conceded a few of them, particularly the free kicks.

I said already this is our starting line up barring injuries, so unless someone gets injured, it'll be a while. I hope he starts on Weds and give Pablo a rest, but I doubt it.