Blades, Villa and Norwich

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Blades, Villa and Norwich

Post by Cjay »

Taken very different approaches to their transfer business, who do we think, if any, will survive?

Norwich.

The lowest spenders in the league, only spent £1.1million. Signed players like Swiss international Josep Drmic on a free, French youth international Ibrahim Amadou and Man City Loan star Patrick Roberts on loan.

Its very brave from Norwich or maybe a bit arrogant? Did they get lucky with promotion (didnt expect it) and now just happy to be their and pocket the cash?

Sheffield United.

The Blades have taken a slightly different approach, the 6th lowest spenders but have still spent £45million.

Dean Henderson has returned on loan and Bosnian midfielder Mo Besic to from Everton. They spent big on Swansea striker Ollie McBurnie and Preston Winger Callum Robinson.

Are they taking quite a sensible approach? Spending on proven Championship players like McBurnie, Freeman and Robinson, give the Prem a go, hope they can adapt, if not then they will have a talented Championship side?

Aston Villa.

They have done what Villa have for years, chucked money at it, lots of money. £140million, they are one of the top 10 spenders in Europe.

They signed loan stars Tyrone Mings and Anwar El Ghazi permanently, they spent over £20mil on Brazilian striker Wesley.

They basically did what Fulham did last season, although with fewer changes because of the loan stars returning.

So we have Villa spending fortunes, Norwich spending sod all and Blades spending some.

Sheffield United and Norwich both picked up their first wins this weekend, Villa have suffered back to back defeats.

Will Villa's spending pay off in the end? Will Sheffield United's risk pay off? Will Norwich regret not spending more?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Blades, Villa and Norwich

Post by Irish Ian »

Been watching these three closely.

Norwich, I think they were happy to get the money that goes with a promotion. They seem to be very stable financially and are happy stay lower league Prem or promotion contenders in the Championship. One way or another they will be cashed up this time next season.
I think they be bottom 6 all season.

Blunts. Bit of the same, they probably will be bottom six as well.

Villa, I'm loving the fact they have spent so much and have had no reward yet. They actually have t played to bad in both their games but no cigar so far.

They should survive.

Newcastle look as if they will have a new ,manager by Octiber though..
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

That really was some performance from Norwich on the weekend, that Pukki hat trick was impressive, albeit against a poor Newcastle side, but theyre the teams who they need to be beating. After the first half against Liverpool I feared for them this year, with their lack of investment and at how easy it looked for Liverpool.
I expected them to drop off all last season, but they didn’t, they showed some bottle in games, consistently coming from behind or scoring late, it was ridiculous I don’t know how many times I would be cursing them when you would see they’d scored late on any time they were behind, we lost our ability to come from behind when needed and they didn’t, we were just as good as them, if not better than them for a large part of last season.
But they looked much better in the second half against Liverpool and the win over Newcastle would maybe make you think they have a chance of staying up, I had them as bankers to be in the bottom three before the season started.
Gives you hope for when we hopefully go up!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It's unlikely all three will go straight back down, usually at least one has a second season in the top flight.
Newcastle look poor and Crystal Palace were awful against Sheff U even with Zaha.
Southampton and Watford will also struggle I think.
Norwich will do the best of the three with their attacking flair and should be a match for any of the teams in the bottom half.
They will need to learn to be less gung ho against the 'big six though.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm It's unlikely all three will go straight back down, usually at least one has a second season in the top flight.
Newcastle look poor and Crystal Palace were awful against Sheff U even with Zaha.
Southampton and Watford will also struggle I think.
Norwich will do the best of the three with their attacking flair and should be a match for any of the teams in the bottom half.
They will need to learn to be less gung ho against the 'big six though.
On the first day of the season I would have said only Villa would stay up, I still don’t think Shef Utd have a chance, but now think Norwich have a chance, defensively they will struggle and Pukki won’t score three every week
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I doubt any of the three will finish in the top-half with Norwich & the Blunts fighting relegation
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I hope the Blunts survive just so we can have the pleasure of relegating them ourselves next season.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am I hope the Blunts survive just so we can have the pleasure of relegating them ourselves next season.
I can only wish abject failure and misery on that club. Passing them as we go up and they go down would be fine for me, so I hope they finish bottom of the table.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Have to admit, I'm enjoying seeing Villa pointless after spending a fortune. Big gamble they've taken, though I do suspect they'll have enough to stay up once they find their feet. Norwich and Blades lack depth, and I can see them both struggling as the season progresses. Newcastle, who I've always had a soft spot for, look doomed to struggle, fans there deserve so much better than that shyster Ashley.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson