Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

Post by becchio bear »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm Hope Stoke don't sack their manager until after Saturday.
Evening Ges, I see you won tickets for the Stoke cup game.... me too yay :-D :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

History will tell us MB made the right changes at the right time, I'd like to have seen them earlier though.
gessa

Post by gessa »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 pm Evening Ges, I see you won tickets for the Stoke cup game.... me too yay :-D :bear:
Brilliant, I didn't know, see you in the Peacock.
Glass of white?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:48 pm Brilliant, I didn't know, see you in the Peacock.
Glass of white?
You are THE ges from Rugeley? :-D :bear:
gessa

Post by gessa »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:50 pm You are THE ges from Rugeley? :-D :bear:

Guilty as charged.

How did you find out?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 pm Guilty as charged.

How did you find out?
I got an email from Carabao. Looked on here this evening and Adam has posted up the 5 winners including a ges from Rugeley.... :-D

Who is your +1? :bear:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Deserved win, clean sheet against a decent team.

Casilla - 8 - Comfortable all night
Dallas - 8 - Battled with a slight injury but always looked a threat down the right
Alio - 5/7 - Awful defending saved by a lot of good fortune, much better going forward
Cooper - 8 - Couple of goal saving tackles and some nice passing
White - 9 - Solid and just seems to know where to be before he needs to be there. Couple of great tackles and some key intercepts.

Phillips - 8 - Bit of a curates egg with some wayward passing, and the corners were a bit wasteful though Bamford didn't help there, But some solid tackling and had Canos in his pocket for the most part

Hernandez - 6 - Off colour today, we can forgive him that. Not sure I recall a successful pas to be honest
Forshaw - 10 MOTM - Simply outstanding for me almost the complete performance, I do think he's a box to box mid.
Klich - 7.5 - Not quite there in this slightly new role but delivered the killer ball for the goal and was unlucky with a number of clever touches in the first half..
Harrison - 6 - Not at his best and that maybe because his space was intruded on by Alioski..

Bamford - 6 - Started brightly but his movement and pace are lacking and he needs to head for the box when we attack and attack centrally. Maybe should have scored withone of his good chance headers

Costa - 8 - Looked much better once he got on the right, clever cross for Nketiah's goal
Nketiah - 8 - Loved the movement in the box to give himself so much room and take the keeper completely out of the equation. Work rate was excellent too, be it in our defence shepherding the ball out or not giving up and winning a corner late
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:53 pm I got an email from Carabao. Looked on here this evening and Adam has posted up the 5 winners including a ges from Rugeley.... :-D

Who is your +1? :bear:

The lad.

It's his birthday next Thursday, so that'll save me a present :)

You taking T ?
Last edited by gessa on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jay »

Great result! Excellent combination play between Klich, Costa, and Nketiah for the goal. Forshaw was brilliant. Bamford held up the ball nicely at times and was always trying, he seems better of late. Kiko isnt making me as nervous lately either. Looks a lot more composed, i think he amd the defence are starting to understand each other. I hope Dallas' injury isnt serious...
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 pm Guilty as charged.

How did you find out?

You not got an email?
gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 pm You not got an email?

Auto sync was off on my phone, just sorted it, got email and replyed, thanks Adam.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Now need to find my stats thread
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Felt like we proved a point tonight: Leeds will not fall to your counterattacks and have all the tools to unlock your defence.

Same points as this time last season but feeling much more secure, or is it just me?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 pm Good result against a traditionally tricky opponent for us. We didn’t flow as we can and Pablo was strangely out of sorts, difference tonight we had quality and pace on the bench to turn the game. Costa and Eddie looked real handfuls when they came on and look a cut above for this division.

Pontus strangely anonymous on his return to ER, not really involved in any moments of note at either end.

Deserved the win but made hard work of it, back to the top with 3 wins and a draw where we really should have won. Very solid start to the season, reason for cautious optimism.
Yeah i was going to mention that about Pontus. He was really quiet, not at all how he was for us.
I was expecting him to be flying into tackles and really playing to the crowd.
I do wonder if he really wishes he was still playing for us.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 pm Brill company tonight chaps.....Thanks, really enjoyed the evening with you all (and Sara who dipped in).....wine refill I think
Listening to LUTV commentary and reading this thread at the same time. Feels like an important win tonight.

Enjoy your wine (I'm on the Rioja)!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Not vintage Leeds tonight, but an important win nonetheless. You're not going to thrash Brentford, so getting a goal would be enough. We just had to be clinical. More importantly, we were much stronger defensively, especially since Forest were we threw two point away. Unfortunately I think Stoke will sack their manager, so expect the players to be fired up.

Pros:
3 points
Super subs/game changers in Costa and Nketiah to break down defences
Another clean sheet
Kiko
Not gifting away sloppy goals
Forshaw very good tonight, MOTM

Cons:
Giving away the ball too much
Not creating enough with our possession in their final third
Crosses straight to Pontus' head
Tiny minority booing Pontus. Why? He never asked to leave
Cooper gives away too many cheap free kicks in good positions
Last edited by SG90 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Chilli D wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:04 pm Yeah i was going to mention that about Pontus. He was really quiet, not at all how he was for us.
I was expecting him to be flying into tackles and really playing to the crowd.
I do wonder if he really wishes he was still playing for us.

He played reasonably well, somewhat anonymous but thats not always a bad thing for a centre back. Costa did him with the cross for the goal though.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

leedsmad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm Nketeiah absolute brilliant, won't be long before his our starting 9.

Cmon Super Leeds
He was immense when he came on, electric with ball at feet, can take the ball from deep and run!! Winning the corner and tracking back for a tackle soon after nearly stood out more than his goal, that’s one way to impress Bielsa and the fans!
He has to start versus stoke, either up top or at 10, cant see him dropping Bamford, even after a poor performance,
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Its as if Bielsa is thinking, lets start with this line up with no attacking threat or pace and lull the opposition into a false sense of security and then bring on our two 'certain starts with any other championship team ' and bingo !!!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 pm Deserved win, clean sheet against a decent team.

Harrison - 6 - Not at his best and that maybe because his space was intruded on by Alioski.

Saw a bit too much of that last season, the Wigan game being the prime example. Hopefully the coaches could have a word with those two, remember how Dallas and Harrison were able to combine for that goal against Derby. That is what we need.

Delighted with the 3 points tonight, I tuned I. At HT on the Beeb and read 0-0 and 70% possession. Same old story by the look but now we have the flair we so badly needed in Ed and Costa.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa