Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd V Brentford

Wednesday 21st August 19.45pm | Elland Road

A bumper crown is expected for the visit of big spending Brentford to Elland Road on Wednesday but expect all eyes to be on a certain Swede! What kind of reception will Pontus Jansson receive on his return to Elland Road?

So far this season, the Bees lost at home against Birmingham on the opening day of the season, they then beat Boro at the Riverside and most recently drew at Griffin Park against Hull. Cambridge also dumped Brentford out of the League Cup on penalties. Whilst it is far too early for the Championship table to assemble any real credence, you'd expect Leeds to be the happier.

Bielsa's biggest headache at the moment will be how to satisfy circa 20 players, all good enough for first team action! Will the Argentine rotate the starting XI that dominated the ten men of Wigan? Bielsa revealed that captain Liam Cooper and left-backs Barry Douglas and Ezgjan Alioski are doubtful for the match. Stuart Dallas may deputise on the left with Jamie Shackleton coming in at right back. What changes if any would you make?

Leeds have lost only one of their past 13 home league matches against Brentford (W6 D6 L1), a 0-1 reverse in February 2015. Brentford have lost only two of their past 12 league games against Leeds (W5 D5 L2), both 0-1 away defeats in 2016-17 and 2017-18.

This early on, is this a must win game, or would you settle for a draw?

Leeds Line-up
Casilla, Alioski, White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Forshaw, Hernandez, Bamford

Subs: Meslier, Berardi, Shackleton, McCalmont, Bogusz, Costa, Nketiah
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread

Post by Irish Ian »

If everyone is fit I dont expect any changes.

I wont be able to follow this game due to prior commitments but I think this will be a draw. Which wouldn't be the end of the world.

0-0
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jay »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:08 pm If everyone is fit I dont expect any changes.

I wont be able to follow this game due to prior commitments but I think this will be a draw. Which wouldn't be the end of the world.

0-0
I agree with you in not expecting any changes to the first team, although I think Costa will start to get frustrated if he doesnt get a few starts soon.

We need to get back to winning ways at home, seems like its been a while, and you've gotta win your home games if you're gonna be challenging for top spot.

2-0 Leeds
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I agree with Jay. If we are thinking auto's, then 3 points at home v Brentford is a must.

Little concerned that we should be looking after Hernandez more; ie resting him
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I think this game is a must win only because our home results are becoming a concern and a win will give some much needed confidence at ER. A nice early goal to ease the nerves would be ideal. Having said that I personally think PJ will play a blinder and Brentford will snatch it 1-0 and dare i say it the afformentioned will nod it in.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

I would be gobsmacked if there were any changes to our starting line up (barring injuries), Bielsa just doesnt do change and although in him we trust, I personally think a bit of rotation wouldn't go amiss.....tough game, 3 points would be a bonus but I can see them snatching a draw.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Don't understand the rezt Hernandez point at this stage of the season, he's only played 3 games.
Too early for a must win game.
Never settle for a point at home, always expect and want 3 points, regardless of the opposition.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:16 pm Don't understand the rezt Hernandez point at this stage of the season, he's only played 3 games.
Too early for a must win game.
Never settle for a point at home, always expect and want 3 points, regardless of the opposition.
Agree, Pablo will need resting over the season but no need yet
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Same team I expect. Our players know that our ex Swede can be easily wound up and rattled.....I wonder....
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 pm Same team I expect. Our players know that our ex Swede can be easily wound up and rattled.....I wonder....
Was thinking the same Swanny. Lot of pent up emotion for PJ first game back at ER, will be trying hard to prove people wrong, potential to overstep the mark...
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Azkalwhite wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm Was thinking the same Swanny. Lot of pent up emotion for PJ first game back at ER, will be trying hard to prove people wrong, potential to overstep the mark...
Indeed Azkal :)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Brentford still struggling with too many changes right now. Yes they beat Boro but that's hardly impossible with a rookie manager and hugely different style of play to last season. I think that like at Wigan we'll be wondering what all the fuss is about come Thursday. 3-0 Leeds, Nketiah to grab a super sub goal late on.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cooper, Douglas and Alioski all doubts for the game.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

gessa wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 pm Cooper, Douglas and Alioski all doubts for the game.
If both Douglas and Alioski don't make it, then Dallas will play left back and Jamie Shack will come in at right back.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:11 pm If both Douglas and Alioski don't make it, then Dallas will play left back and Jamie Shack will come in at right back.
What about Davis at LB?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

gessa wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 pm What about Davis at LB?
I was quoting Marcelo - he didn't mention Davis.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Big game, and in front of home support we need to win this. Elland Road needs to be a fortress again. We should have enough to see this out. Clean sheet would be very nice as well. We keep a clean sheet we will win the game.

Don't care for the PJ link anymore. Yeh give him a cheer before and at the end of the game when all's done an dusted, during it boo and jeer him all ya want. Loved him in a Leeds shirt, but its no-more unfortunately. Ben White looks an even better younger talent.

Would like to see Costa and Eddie start, but big believe in never changing a winning side, unless required to.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Resting Pablo is nonsense as well. When he plays well, so do the rest of the team and we win games. IF hes off form maybe rest him and draft in someone else, and we've Costa a perfect swap. Liek to see them both start together tho, sounds exciting that.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 pm Cooper, Douglas and Alioski all doubts for the game.
I thought I'd read somewhere that there were no injury worries :duno: What's happened ges?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Shacks playing rb and Dallas lb may not be so bad.

Brentford have a lot of pace out wide and Douglas has none.

Shacks has a lot and with the pace Brentford have for counters thats going to be very handy.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom