The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 22nd Aug) - Selection headache for Bielsa?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 22nd Aug) - Selection headache for Bielsa?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 22nd August, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Brentford buckle under pressure

Leeds second half battering (that even Harry Ramsden would have been proud) of Brentford finally paid dividends ten minutes from the end when Costa conjured up some magic delivering a ball to the feet of Nketiah to tap into an empty net. With the synchronisation of the two loanees, you would have thought that they would have been playing together for years, not weeks!

Its fair to say that Brentford more then held their own in the first half, and were unlucky not to go ahead when the ball cannoned off the post half way through the first half, To be fair to Leeds, they could themselves have scored sixty seconds later when they broke away, and only fine work from their keeper Raya and a certain Swede kept the scoreline level.

After the break, Leeds were a different team, launching attack after attack on the Brentford goal, and it was clear that a Leeds goal was coming.

The introduction of Costa and Nketiah was the straw that broke the Camels back, as the Whites held on to top spot in the league.

Both Managers reaction to the game:-

Marcelo Bielsa
"We deserved to win the game because we dominated the game. We didn't create a lot of chances but we created enough chances to make a difference.

"It was a physical, demanding game and we took control in the best moment of the game.

"Helder Costa is a balanced player who can play on both sides, and Eddie Nketiah can make an impact in the middle. We defended well and our opponents did not have enough clear chances."
Thomas Frank
"The first half was a top away performance where we pressed high, caused them problems and created opportunities. We did everything more or less right.

"Second half, they put more pressure on us and we were not good enough to keep the ball. We had big desire defending, good organisation and a high line.

"We got through the most stormy parts of the second half and you thought our opportunities would start to come. And then they scored a goal.

"I can't imagine, going forward, a more difficult away ground to go to than this one."

Selection headache for Bielsa

Having scored twice against both Salford in the League Cup and Brentford in the Championship, Nketiah is already giving Bielsa a big selection dilemma according to Leeds journalist Phil Hay

Can Bamford and Nketiah play together? Who would make way for Nketiah?

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 22nd Aug) - Selection headache for Bielsa?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Love to see Bamford and Eddie up front together. I think they can play together but how do we accomodate them.

Either 4-4-2 and drop either Klich or Forshaw, you lose a bit of the defensive cover we've seen in recent weeks then.

Or 3-5-2 with three centre backs and two wingers/wing backs. Put's a lot of work onto the wingers though. Can Pablo cover that?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Doesn't seem that sticking to rigid formations is really Bielsa's way.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bamford to the 10 role maybe....dropping Klich unfortunately. Said at the start of the season we were a lot stronger and we'd struggle to accommodate all the talent we have

If you were manager right now what is your best 11?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Bamford will start and Eddie will be on the bench.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Everyone,

I have to say that Forshaw is one of our best players at the moment. Is is because the formation suits him tho?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Would love to see Costa in for Harrison next game. Think Harrison is a weak link going forward (poor crossing, can't beat his man) although works his socks off. Alternatively in for Hernandez who was poor last game and maybe needs a rest. Not sure it will happen though. Nketiah isn't a lone striker for me and think that shower against Salford (two up front though, nketiah and bamford, excites me though)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

What a beautiful problem to have, enough talent to have even the famously obdurate Bielsa reconsidering his options. I don't think too much will actually change - I think Bielsa may just be saying this to unsettle the other managers who will now have to factor Nketiah into their game plans.

Speaking of, the cats are still hiding under the bed, such was the decibel level of my jubilation after that goal. The other thing that pleased me about the night was how defensively solid we were, Alioski excepted. White once again looking a complete upgrade on Pontus rather than a replacement and he seems to be getting the best out of Cooper as well. I said before the season started that defences in promotion-winning teams are always spoken of not as individuals but partnerships and so far I'm pleased as punch with the CB pairing we have. Special mention goes to Forshaw for continuing to be that immense midfield presence we knew he could be after that home win against Derby last season, and how encouraging is it that we can still get wins even when Harrison and Pablo are having an off night?

Let those who rued our summer transfer business lament, for we took more points off Brentdford in one night than we did all last season thanks to the new lads.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 am Having scored twice in the last two league matches, both after coming on as a substitute (not counting the League Cup goal v Salford or the U23 game v Millwall) Nketiah is already giving Bielsa a big selection dilemma according to Leeds journalist Phil Hay
Eddie hasn't scored in the last 2 league matches. He scored v Salford in the cup and in the U23s prior to last night's goal.

For me I still see Eddie and Costa as being on the bench for the next match as they are at present a much more potent prospect coming off the bench than starting. It is a bit like the Jack Clarke situation last season when he was great as a sub coming on with his pace and trickery against tired defenders. When he started matches his pace was less threatening as the defenders were fresh and knew what to expect. Always hard for a defender to adapt when the player they are marking is subbed as they have spent the whole game getting used to playing a certain way to try to combat the style and strengths of the player they were marking. Suddenly they have to face a different threat and that gives the substitute a big advantage especially if they are fast.

Why not have them on the bench so that we can change things if the lockpicking side hasn't broken through?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

It's also well worth mentioning our tempo in the first half, which was the same as at Wigan. We've started playing much more conservatively earlier in the game which has protected us in the periods when we were most statistically likely to concede last season. This is a big part of our game and will only get bigger, as teams knew to pressure us into mistakes last season, so right away they'd force errors and look to hit us on the counter. We've been very good at absorbing pressure but also in drawing the oppostion midfield/attack into running all over the park during the first half which would explain why they were so knackered the second half in both the last two league games.

This also gave us some genuinely potent counterattacking threat ourselves in the first half with Brentford's defence finding themselves outnumbered in seconds, so you have to respect Bielsa's strategic acumen there. To counter the opposition's countering tactics shows that he's understanding this league and his opposing numbers.

While we'd all love to be 4-0 up at half time, the easing into the game is deliberate and patient, and we're going to see much less goals conceded by the end of the season as a result, but most importantly more points. Just thought this tempo thing was important to bring up as I've been observing it closely and shows how much more prepared we are for what lies ahead.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

As long as MB doesn't name his side until a hour before the Stoke game then it's all good.
I don't like him naming the side three days before a game, it gives the opposition chance to work out how they will line up against us.
Also it keeps the whole squad on their toes not knowing until the day of the game who is starting.
As it is now, we have a number of ways we could line up against Stoke, so lets keep them guessing.
Bamford and Eddie up front together could work, maybe with Bamford in a slightly deeper role and Eddie right up on the toes of the last man.
Although last night's performance wasn't the greatest, there will always be dips in performance levels and at least we ground out the win.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think Eddie and Paddy can play together.

Paddy is very versatile, can play wide and as a 10, Nketiah can also play wide, Paddy likes to come deep and get involved in the build up, Eddie prefers to play on the shoulder.

Can work fine.

Imo though Costa is a must start, his pace and direct style is something we lack and is vital against sides that sit deep.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Think Eddie will be on the bench in the league but start in the crap cup. He wont be up to speed for a while regarding how leeds play and MB will want him fully fit and shed any excess fat, i noticed some around his index finger when he was celebrating his goal last night

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who do you drop if you start Costa though, Klich? and move Pablo inside, Harrison? and have no natural left sided player on the pitch, Forshaw? and drop the in form player atm, Dallas? and play 3 back and Costa as a RWB?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Probably drop Harrison atm. Front 3 of Pablo, Eddie, Costa, with Bamford just behind, then Klich, Phillips, Foreshaw, then White, Copper, Alio. Could that work? No idea...
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Eddie over Patrick for me... speed demon who knows where to be in the box
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm Who do you drop if you start Costa though, Klich? and move Pablo inside, Harrison? and have no natural left sided player on the pitch, Forshaw? and drop the in form player atm, Dallas? and play 3 back and Costa as a RWB?
The simple solution at present is to keep the same team and have the same options from the bench. Yes the 2 subs combined for the winning goal but the starters have combined well all season. As the season goes on I am sure injuries and loss of form will see the selections pick themselves.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Agreed, let's not forget that this was the first truly difficult game we've had and pretty comfortably kept a clean sheet. I don't count the Forest game as Bamford missed better chances and they weren't as good as Brentford overall. We just shot ourselves in the foot conceding a horrible goal. Our regular starters will still eat most teams alive, all things being even, so as Weasel said let's enjoy the wealth of tools we have available to call upon and not worry about changing a successful lineup.