The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th September) - Leeds leave it late against Barnsley

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th September) - Leeds leave it late against Barnsley

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 16th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Leeds leave it late

Even with 69% possession and 16 shots on goal (until the 70th minute), it was uncertain who would leave Oakwell victorious, until Nketiah joined proceedings.

Don't get me wrong, Leeds were by far the better team, but we have been sucker punched more times than I can remember. With the likes of Mowatt and Wilkes (did we really only get £1.5m for him) with a point to prove, would we have been surprised to see the Tykes steal three points?

Had Nketiah not come on, do you believe Leeds would have still won?

It can't be easy to try and influence a game when you only have 20 minutes. How long can Nketiah keep the goals flowing playing a bit part?

Why do Leeds have such a problem scoring?

Whilst I'm not trying to teach Bielsa how to suck eggs, by playing the same team week in, week out surely gives the opposition an advantage as they know, bar an injury the Argentinian will play the same team week in, week out. The second point that I would make is that a handful of players, including the Captain (Cooper) have already expressed their concerns about burnout to ex White Michael Bridges on their pre season to Australia in the Summer.

Bielsa post match interview

The YEP caused up with Bielsa to grab this thoughts on the trip to Oakwell, and this is what he had to say:-

Tabloids lay in to Leeds over crowd disturbance

No sooner had the final whistle gone, than the tabloids started laying into the Whites for causing trouble during the closing stages of the Yorkshire Derby

But what really happened? Grandmother, and super Leeds fan Heidi Haigh recalled what transpired...
As I stood to the left hand side Leeds won a penalty and Klich obliged to put the ball into the net to give us a two goal lead at the death. With delirious scenes of the celebrating Leeds fans, I suddenly heard a commotion to the left of us in the side stand.

Some Leeds fans had been sat in the seats all game at the front but must have celebrated our second goal when they got attacked. One lad with no shirt on was one of the culprits but some of the attacking was vicious.

Together with a woman, they were both attacking a lad sat down for ages before anyone intervened. I’d like to know why they weren’t both arrested instead of being let back in the stand?

The rest of the stewards stood around that area and did nothing. It was only when loads of our stewards ran over that it all stopped. One lad gave the Leeds salute as he was taken out. With it all kicking off and fans standing in front of me I hardly saw the closing minutes of the game.

At the end, I saw one lad with a badly grazed forehead and I thought he was kicked it was that bad. I’d seen someone post before the game that they were vicious in Barnsley especially if you are found in their ends and that had been seen today.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th September) Leeds leave it late

Post by 1964white »

That was in the Barnsley end. I could see a big fat bloke with no shirt on laying into a Leeds fan with a woman involved too!

In the Leeds end the trouble was purely instigated by a Barnsley steward who ejected a Leeds fan for celebrating a goal, then he returned to goad the Leeds fans with a arms gesture saying come on you lot I'll take you on. Within seconds our head Leeds steward Phil jumped on the goading tyke & both sets of stewards stepped in to calm the situation down. The culprit steward was led away towards the police area to be questioned about his stupid antics I assume. Meanwhile several Leeds fans including my mate ran down the flights of steps to put in complaints to the police/stewards after what we had all clearly witnessed.

The whole ugly scenario was caused by a Barnsley official which could have kicked off big-time. I'm hoping the culprit is arrested for inciting a potential riot & he is sacked with immediate effect by BFC.

Any suggestion that the Leeds fans caused the problems from the press/media is utter bollocks
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th September) - Leeds leave it late against Barnsley

Post by 1964white »

Tbh the whole commotion at the end spoilt the Leeds goals celebrations as there was so much going on which was totally unnecessary
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th September) - Leeds leave it late against Barnsley

Post by 60sUnited »

Great to finally get the 3 points and go back top but I am getting worried and very perplexed by our starting line up seemingly being so inept when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net or at the very least working the keeper. It seems like a virus and just goes on and on, game after game. Pablo's balloon over the bar from a very good position probably summed it up. Very frustrating to watch and yes for a long time it looked like another Swansea was going to happen. Oh to be 2 up at half time and given the chances we create we usually should be.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I didn't see the game yesterday as I was dragging my fat arse around a 60 cycle sportive so I had to settle for the 15 minute highlights on Sky last night.
The game went just as I expected, Barnslety would raise their game (surprise surprise) but we would show enough quality in the end to get the points.
Undoubtedly the strength of our bench is a key factor at the moment. Who else in the Championship would have Helder Costa and Eddie Nketiah on the bench waiting to come on and cause havoc in the last 20 minutes?
A little worrying was the number of chances Barsnley created but if Malik Wilkes played like that every week he would probably still be at Leeds.
Last season we would have lost that game.
From what I've read on here Bamford had a good game so Eddie will probably have to wait a bit longer for a starting berth but it can't be too far away.

Shocked to hear about the crowd trouble towards the end of the game, Sky didn't show anything on the highlights.
Getting a seat in with the home fans is a precarious business especially at a Yorkshire Derby.
I was eyed with suspicion on more than one occasion back in the day.
I hope the knob head Barnsley steward gets a lifetime ban.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Had Nketiah not come on, do you believe Leeds would have still won?

It can't be easy to try and influence a game when you only have 20 minutes. How long can Nketiah keep the goals flowing playing a bit part?
Well we'll never know if Leeds would have won or not.

You could say that there is an advantage - especially for a speedy forward - to come on for the last 20 minutes. He is fresh and the defenders are getting tired. He knows he can run flat out for 20 minutes, if he were to start he'd have to conserve himself a bit to last the ninety minutes effectively.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:44 am Well we'll never know if Leeds would have won or not.

You could say that there is an advantage - especially for a speedy forward - to come on for the last 20 minutes. He is fresh and the defenders are getting tired. He knows he can run flat out for 20 minutes, if he were to start he'd have to conserve himself a bit to last the ninety minutes effectively.
The thing is Harry, Barnsley would literally have eight people in the box defending whilst Leeds would have 3 or 4. Sometimes you couldn't even see Bamford as he would have multiple players on him.

If there was a second striker, at least half the Barnsley defenders would have to give Bamford some space.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 am The thing is Harry, Barnsley would literally have eight people in the box defending whilst Leeds would have 3 or 4. Sometimes you couldn't even see Bamford as he would have multiple players on him.

If there was a second striker, at least half the Barnsley defenders would have to give Bamford some space.
Maybe, but if Nketiah does start, it will be in place of Bamford not alongside him. Bielsa likes playing with one main striker, at least from the start. Sometimes he ends up with two, but I cannot see him changing his philosophy and starting with two.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am Maybe, but if Nketiah does start, it will be in place of Bamford not alongside him. Bielsa likes playing with one main striker, at least from the start. Sometimes he ends up with two, but I cannot see him changing his philosophy and starting with two.
I'm sorry Harry, but Bielsa has to have a plan B. He also needs to rotate the players otherwise its burnout by February
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 am I'm sorry Harry, but Bielsa has to have a plan B. He also needs to rotate the players otherwise its burnout by February
You don't need a Plan B if Plan A is effective and so far the only failure this season was against Swansea - and Neketiah missed the best chance of the match. So far the plan is working very well with Costa and Neketiah coming on against tired defenders, Costa and Neketiah are both part of Plan A.

We didn't suffer burnout last year. Were we burnout in the first leg v Derby? Were we burnt out when we were all over Derby in the first half of the second leg? I would even go as far as suggesting that if we'd been able to keep a settled side last season, instead of having the ridiculous amount of injuries, we'd have done better. The only burnout I feel was the mental burnout caused by the deja vu of dominating games but not winning them due to missing loads of chances. That can play on the minds of players who would be thinking 'not again' and almost resigning themselves to a defeat once we missed a good chance. We weren't burnout in any way in terms of how we played as we were still dominating matches even when losing.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Weasel you started by saying we didn’t suffer burnout then went on to describe our players burning out.

It begins in the mind and affects decisions you make which then make it harder for the body to catch up.

It affects recovery times between games.

It is caused by trying to carry too much too often and without having the mental and emotional outlet needed.

Last season we had a small playing pool due to injury, some of us are worried we have a small playing pool due to a lack of rotation due to stubbornness.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:46 pm Weasel you started by saying we didn’t suffer burnout then went on to describe our players burning out.

It begins in the mind and affects decisions you make which then make it harder for the body to catch up.

It is caused by trying to carry too much too often and without having the mental and emotional outlet needed.

Last season we had a small playing pool due to injury, some of us are worried we have a small playing pool due to a lack of rotation due to stubbornness.
If you read what I put it was that we didn't suffer burnout from players playing too much, training too hard, running too much etc. We didn't suffer a mental burnout from being physically tired either. None of Bielsa's methods caused burnout.

What did cause a sort of mental burnout was, as I put, the fact that we had so many matches where we failed to score when completely dominating and then suffered conceding a goal from nothing. As a player you would be thinking 'not again' and you would be feeling that nothing you were doing was going to make a difference, the defenders lacking belief in the forward players as they weren't scoring and similarly the forward players lacking belief in the defenders as they were conceding soft goals. So heads would go down and the players lost a bit of belief rather than any tiredness caused by Bielsa's methods.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds u23's live

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Currently Leeds U23 3 Watford 0
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

two more for Nketiah in the first half.

At least Bielsa can rest him now for Saturday.

Perhaps he'll get 10 minutes?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Why are Leeds playing Nketiah in the U23's?

It's not going to get him 'MATCH FIT' for the senior squad.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:46 pm Weasel you started by saying we didn’t suffer burnout then went on to describe our players burning out.

I have to agree with Ian. The players themselves admitted burnout :-

Speaking to the English Football Show, Michael Bridges stated: “The other thing Leeds struggled with last year (as well as the injury to Kemar Roofe)… I was speaking to a few of players, (including) Liam Cooper the captain… they just felt after Christmas they’d almost run out of energy, the way they’d been playing football.”
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

If Bielsa were to start rotating the players on a regular basis then every time we failed to win, there'd be a chorus of 'how can we gel if we keep changing the team', 'how can we be successful if Bielsa doesn't even know what his strongest line-up is', 'how can the players perform if they are not playing more regularly', 'how do you expect players to react when even when they play well and we win, they are dropped for the next match'.