The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 17th September) Leeds youngsters run riot

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 17th September) Leeds youngsters run riot

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 17th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Leeds U23's run riot

Carlos Corberan's U23's ran riot over hapless Watford, so much so that Leeds keeper Illan Meslier might as well have taken a seat in the stands instead of between the sticks.

Struijk opened proceedings early over, followed by a Nketiah brace.

At half time Nketiah, Berardi and Douglas were replaced by Ayling, Roberts and Davis.

Man of the Match Robbie Gotts extended the Whites lead to four after great work from Ayling. Roberts and Ayling completed the rout proving both players are fit and raring to go!

When will Ayling and Roberts return to first team action? Who will they replace on the bench?

Are the youngsters being frozen out?

We all know Bielsa likes a settled team, and will only make amendments to the starting XI if he has to. Does this mean that the Whites are missing out on nurturing their young talent? We have seen a host of talent leave LS11 over the Summer and were in a position to see some of these young starlets in action for Barnsley last weekend.

What was your reaction to Wilkes and Halme's performances? Personally speaking, Barnsley got themselves a couple of bargains there (1.5m for Wilkes and 500k for Halme), and both players have the potential to be sold for big money in the near future. Halme in particular I feel, kept Bamford relatively quiet, and his 6ft 4 frame could have given Leeds further options this season.

Will Leeds regret letting either signing leave?

How difficult is it going to be for the likes of Gott, Bogusz or 16yo sensation Mckinstry to even find a place on the bench when 10m Jack Clarke is deemed surplus to requirements, yet starts and scores the only goal of the game for England U19's recently.

Let's not forget either about Ryan Edmondson who scored on his England U18 debut recently, and netted 19 times last season.

Do we need a feeder club?

gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 17th September) Leeds youngsters run riot

Post by gessa »

Terrific win, good to see Ayling and Roberts on the comeback, I'm sure injuries and suspensions will help carve a way into the match squad for them, neither ready for first team action for a while yet, I'd imagine.

Was surprised when Halme was sold, not so much Wilks, both would have busted a gut to prove a point Sunday, lets see they can do it over a season before we start kicking oursel;ves about letting them go.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The thing is with the players we sold where would Wilkes be on our pecking order? Costa can't even start, neither can Clarke. Wilkes probably raised his game against us but would he fit into a Bielsa team where he has to run for 90 minutes rather than sporadic bursts? There were also the question marks about his attitude. Definitely looks to have decent ability though.

Halme looked okay without being anything special. I would imagine he'd be well down Bielsa's pecking order though and as we saw when Bielsa got rid of PJ if you can't fit into his system then you are no use to him no matter how good you may appear to be. I would imagine under Bielsa that Halme would have been behind White, Cooper, Berardi, Ayling and KP in the pecking order - Bielsa showed that when he dropped Halme in favour of playing KP in defence last season.

Whilst both look decent I don't think either was close to starting for Leeds, although wouldn't be surprised if both were sold at some point for more than Barnsley paid for them.

i don't get why people are suddenly raving about Clarke just because he scored for England at whatever youth level it was at. It wasn't like dribbled past 3 players before scoring. Forget about the goal and ask whether he actually had a good game? Did he run past players? Did he set up chances? So far he has done very little in the league cup matches he played for us or the U23s and needs to find his form at that level (or play well for England). Contrast with Costa and Neketiah who have both done well in the league cup matches and for the U23s and it is that sort of attitude that is to be applauded as they could easily have just strutted around thinking they were too good for those level of matches. I hope Clarke can rediscover the form he showed for us because if he does then we are even stronger.

It is great for the club that we have the problem of having too many potentially good players chomping at the bit to get a chance in the first team. It shouldn't be easy for them to simply walk into the first team and if they are good enough they will give Bielsa big dilemmas unless injuries force his hand. Bielsa must rate Shackleton very highly to have chosen to start him rather than moving Hernandez central and starting Costa last week.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am

It is great for the club that we have the problem of having too many potentially good players chomping at the bit to get a chance in the first team. It shouldn't be easy for them to simply walk into the first team and if they are good enough they will give Bielsa big dilemmas unless injuries force his hand. Bielsa must rate Shackleton very highly to have chosen to start him rather than moving Hernandez central and starting Costa last week.
Agreed.

There is no way we will remain injury and suspension free and I fully expect Shacks and Bogusz to feature this season. Gotts seems to make the bench a lot but I wonder if we will see him.

During ths summer we were warned by Radz that we would need to make good use of loanees and our Academy players this season and I expect that will happen as we progress.

Re Wilkes and Halme yes they probably will be sold at a profit at some point but we needed to reduce the roster and they were moved on. Both good looking players who no doubt had a point to prove on Sunday.

And well done the U23s they look a powerful unit and should provide competition for the first team. Eddie getting 45 mins just helps to keep him sharp and his confidence levels up. I'm reading Ian Wrights book st the minute and he followed the same pattern when he joined Palace, late cameos with the first team backed up by playing for the reserves. Then he took over as No1 striker. Maybe Eddie will replicate the oath of his mentor here at Leeds.

I can see Ayling coming in when Dallas needs rested or picks up an injury but please help me see where Roberts is going to play? Personally I thought playing both him and Harrison last season put too much pressure on Pablo...

We are in brilliant shape at the minute and long may we continue to improve.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 am Eddie getting 45 mins just helps to keep him sharp and his confidence levels up. I'm reading Ian Wrights book st the minute and he followed the same pattern when he joined Palace, late cameos with the first team backed up by playing for the reserves. Then he took over as No1 striker. Maybe Eddie will replicate the oath of his mentor here at Leeds.
Great that Ian Wright went through the same sort of thing and will hopefully be the case that he will be able to advise Eddie so that Eddie doesn't get downhearted by not starting. Would be too easy for 'advisers' to wreck a player's career by giving him the wrong advice such as telling him to demand to play or telling him to take it easy for the U23s so as to not get injured etc.
Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 amI can see Ayling coming in when Dallas needs rested or picks up an injury but please help me see where Roberts is going to play? Personally I thought playing both him and Harrison last season put too much pressure on Pablo...
Certainly a tricky one with Roberts. He showed he has a great shot on him but then went on a really dry run and he needs to be contributing goals if he is to play the no.10 role like he did last season (same thing for Forshaw if he is to play there). However great to have another potent weapon on the bench - what a bench with the likes of Costa, Eddie, Bogusz, Shackleton, Clarke and Roberts all on it that can come on and change a game - contrast with last season and the only potential gamechanger sometimes was Izzy Brown who was clearly not quite at 100%.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:31 am Terrific win, good to see Ayling and Roberts on the comeback, I'm sure injuries and suspensions will help carve a way into the match squad for them, neither ready for first team action for a while yet, I'd imagine.

Was surprised when Halme was sold, not so much Wilks, both would have busted a gut to prove a point Sunday, lets see they can do it over a season before we start kicking oursel;ves about letting them go.
Some Barnsley fans didn't rate Wilks performance against us, described him as lazy, doesn't press or track back enough & he was blowing out of ar8e in the 2nd half.

Agree mate all three ex-Leeds players had a point to prove, Beilsa would have seen negatives in Wilks & Halme's game. Mowatt & Co will probably be playing League One football again next season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am The thing is with the players we sold where would Wilkes be on our pecking order? Costa can't even start, neither can Clarke. Wilkes probably raised his game against us but would he fit into a Bielsa team where he has to run for 90 minutes rather than sporadic bursts? There were also the question marks about his attitude. Definitely looks to have decent ability though.

Halme looked okay without being anything special.
Wilks & Halme wouldn't even make our bench in fact they were more likely to end up the U23's bench :lol:

As for Clarke he needs to do much more to prove himself in my opinion. Pablo, Harrison, Shackleton, Costa are all ahead of him right now with possibly Roberts & Gotts also making a challenge for an opportunity off the bench.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We've looked really steady defensively when Forshaw plays but I do think Klich is not as good when playing alongside AF. I thought Klich was brilliant at Oakwell
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:39 am Some Barnsley fans didn't rate Wilks performance against us, described him as lazy, doesn't press or track back enough & he was blowing out of ar8e in the 2nd half.

Agree mate all three ex-Leeds players had a point to prove, Beilsa would have seen negatives in Wilks & Halme's game. Mowatt & Co will probably be playing League One football again next season.
I seem to remember Halme, getting booed by Barnsley fans, think it was his first or second game for them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:35 pm I seem to remember Halme, getting booed by Barnsley fans, think it was his first or second game for them.
Yes I read he was booed, not good from the tykes fans