Thomas Cook gone bust............

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Thomas Cook gone bust............

Post by 1964white »

178 years in service......a household name

150,000 TC holidaymakers stranded

The perils of holidaying abroad :(
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Thomas Cook gone bust............

Post by Ratscoot »

How can a company be allowed to accrue £1.7billion of debt :shock: the same happened with Carillion a company gets too big and no one has a handle on what the hell is going on but I can guarantee the top bosses were well paid and will walk into top jobs elsewhere just as the Carillion bosses did, unlike many of the workers.

There’s also a massive knock on to other companies as Tomas Cook (just like Carillion) has a 60-90 payment policy so they owe millions to the smaller suppliers :evil: :rant: :evil:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 am How can a company be allowed to accrue £1.7billion of debt :shock: the same happened with Carillion a company gets too big and no one has a handle on what the hell is going on but I can guarantee the top bosses were well paid and will walk into top jobs elsewhere just as the Carillion bosses did, unlike many of the workers.
Guaranteed Rat :tup:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

With them in Fuerteventura atm...

Fortunately booked through tc Germany as that's where I live. Tc Germany still alive... Just about!

Have got travel insurance so not really concerned but feel for all the people out there stranded
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 am With them in Fuerteventura atm...

Fortunately booked through tc Germany as that's where I live. Tc Germany still alive... Just about!

Have got travel insurance so not really concerned but feel for all the people out there stranded
Good luck Dan all the same
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Airlines & hotels charging stranded holidaymakers more dosh in this crisis :roll:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sadly TC were working to a business model that was no longer viable in the internet age.
With holidaymakers able to book hotels and flights online and arrange their own treats and excursions once at the resorts they were never going to be viable long term.

But those debts are crazy.
More jobs lost, but as has already been said the top dogs will walk away untainted and probably get a gong in the New Years honours... But that is the nature of a Limited Liability Company

Saddening
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Shame, piece of history dies...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

C'mon Bruce. Get that 747 back in the air
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 am Sadly TC were working to a business model that was no longer viable in the internet age.
With holidaymakers able to book hotels and flights online and arrange their own treats and excursions once at the resorts they were never going to be viable long term.

I have a friend who does exactly that Ian. She books all flights, car hire, hotels etc to Australia, USA and even the Camino in Spain, also booking long hols to these places for friends. It's a sign if the times as is internet shopping now. So many high street shops in trouble as we sit on our bums to do our shopping now....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No idea how anyone shops online for shoes or clothes..I'd imagine 55% gets returned and 35 % put in the wardrobe because you cannot be bothered to return it.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm No idea how anyone shops online for shoes or clothes..I'd imagine 55% gets returned and 35 % put in the wardrobe because you cannot be bothered to return it.
My friend orders all her clothes including running shoes online. We have a post office in our village and she spends quite a lot of time there returning products. I order my walking boots online because it's always the same size and make, so I know they're always going to fit.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:06 pm My friend orders all her clothes including running shoes online. We have a post office in our village and she spends quite a lot of time there returning products. I order my walking boots online because it's always the same size and make, so I know they're always going to fit.
I have a great deal of trouble buying shoes, can take me weeks to find something I like that fits, most shops don't do them in my size and I usually have to buy 2 sizes too big. My partner also has problems having size three feet, that's a childs size these days and she doesn't want to wear childrens shoes...

Needless to say we put off shoe shopping until the direst need
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I buy quite a lot of clothes and shoes online. With catalog stuff like Joe Browns, it's free to return, so it's no hassle.

Shoes, I know certain makes, like Fly London, are always comfy, and you can get some real bargains. I've had three pairs off eBay, from people who just didn't like them, for less than half price.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Anyone bought Asics running shoes online ? These usually fit me fine but generally use a store but online they're 50% cheaper.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

im abroad 6mths of the year and don't use a travel agent for anything I book direct with cruise lines ferries and accomadation direct and always get a better deal , why pay a middle man a cut ?
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter