The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd September) - Have YOUR say on last weekends proceedings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd September) - Have YOUR say on last weekends proceedings

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 23rd September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Bielsa - (Nketiah and Bamford) I need to know how I combine both of them

In Bielsa's post match presser, the gaffer explained that playing two central midfielders behind Bamford was better suited to productive attacking football and if he sacrificed a midfielder for Nketieh, Leeds would suffer because they would be less creative!

The game consists in attack and defence. If when you attack you create 10 chances more than the opponent, you can not be sad for the style of the team. I think that your question is linked with the presence of Nketiah and Bamford together, because maybe we can be more efficient with those two players in the team, two goalscorers are in better condition to take advantage of 10 chances. But we should see which player we take out from the team and what is going to be the result if we take out one player behind the attackers," continued Bielsa.

My answer is, if we play with two goalscorers, maybe we take Forshaw, Klich or Shackleton out, I think that one centre forward without two midfielders behind him is going to worsen the building of the attack. So if you have two centre forwards in a team that doesn't create a lot of chances, you cannot take advantage of the resource that you have. This is my way of thinking but I'm not sure that it is like that.

When I put Nketiah on the pitch, I was thinking of taking out Klich and that Eddie and Bamford play together, Bamford behind Eddie. But to take this decision I have to be convinced. I have started to know some players, in the case of Nketiah for example, I need to know how I combine both of them.

[Against Barnsley] The opponent, they create 10 chances, we create 15 and we won 2-0 and today the opponent created one chances and we drew the match. If you see the difference in chances, 10 and 15, is a higher percentage than one to 10, so if we want to analyse, we cannot avoid this discussion. Probably what I am saying now is going to be commented as an excessive answer, but if we don't analyse, if we don't talk about this, we just have to say it was one draw and the analysis is finished.

That is the reason I sometimes ask the journalist, if what I saw is different to what most of you have seen on the pitch.

The Stats

Week after week we dominate matches (as we can see from the statistics below, taken from the weekend). There has not been one game this season where the opposition have outplayed us yet we continue to drop points!

Completed Passes
1 Fulham 548
2 Leeds United 507
3 Brentford 489
4 West Bromwich Albion 431
5 Luton Town 407

Tackles
1 Cardiff City 25
2 Stoke City 25
3 Leeds United 23
4 Barnsley 23
5 Bristol City 22

Aeriel Success
1 Hull City 72%
2 Nottingham Forest 64%
3 West Bromwich Albion 63%
4 Derby County 62%
5 Brentford 59%

Passing Accuracy %
1 Fulham 84%
2 West Bromwich Albion 84%
3 Brentford 84%
4 Leeds United 83%
5 Luton Town 83%

Possession
1 Fulham 71%
2 West Bromwich Albion 65%
3 Brentford 64%
4 Leeds United 63%
5 Luton Town 60%

Shots on target
1 West Bromwich Albion 7
2 Leeds United 5
3 Millwall 5
4 Barnsley 5
5 Sheffield Wednesday 5

Total shots
1 Wigan Athletic 17
2 West Bromwich Albion 17
3 Reading 16
4 Swansea 15
5 Hull City 14
(Leeds had 13)

In other News

Any excuses for Klich's penalty miss? Is the Polish International the best choice of spot kick takers?

Who is Leeds best penalty taker of all time?

Kalvin Philips had a heated discussion with a small minority of Leeds fans in the Kop, upon the final whistle. One of these so called fans threw a missile at Phillips, it missed, and hit a 5yo child in the face.

Hernandez has not looked his best recently! Should the 34yo be rested now and again, especially with the high intensity that Bielsa demands!

Derby Manager Cocu: “I said to the players ‘stay in the game’ because the way they play - which is really good - they’re expending a lot of energy. To keep this going for 90 minutes is difficult I think.”

Were Leeds tired?

Leeds legend Peter Lorimer suffered a fall hitting his head prior to Saturdays game against Derby. The 72yo was patched up by the first aiders at Elland Road. Fortunately an ambulance was not needed, and the all time great was allowed to go home.

After the game, the Leeds Utd social media boo boys were out in force, pointing the finger at Jack Harrison for the second or third game running!!! Thoughts?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd September) Have YOUR say on last weekends proceedings

Post by Irish Ian »

Good morning everyone.

Same old Monday debate, a lot of ground has already been covered on other threads but Dallas looked tired in second half and no wonder, he is doing what Ailioski did last season!

Harrison. I understand why MB uses him his pressing is stronger than Costa but he is so wasteful. The fans see him with the ball and at times just humping it into the area in hope. Even when he shoots it never looks likely. That is what it looks like. And in his case the stats are revealing. One goal and no assists, maybe MB needs to adjust his tactics to use the tools in the box. Costa was our earliest signing and here we are almost in October and he hasn't been given a run, despite showing end product in his cameos. Same logic for Eddie. Can he play with Bamford? Good tacticians find answers to these conundrums. Why not start Costa on the right and let wear teams out then bring Pablo on later?

Players will always miss pens. When they do like Klich did they need s kick up the backside. Move on.

Hope the idiot with the bottle never sees the inside of EL again.

One area I will raise, when Leeds get a corner, on a scale of 1 to 10 where are your expectations of us creating a chance?
For me it is absolutely 0. We have no delivery and noone strong enough to get to the ball or who can time his run to get a decent head on the ball.

No wonder we arent finding the net, we havent enough of the right tools.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd September) - Have YOUR say on last weekends proceedings

Post by Sprake1 »

If Bamford is great in everything bar scoring goals, let him play no 10 behind Eddie no 9
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd September) - Have YOUR say on last weekends proceedings

Post by 1964white »

Johnny Giles is our best all-time penalty taker without a shadow of doubt

Some of you young uns won't remember one of our top three players of all-time......top class
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:35 am Johnny Giles is our best all-time penalty taker without a shadow of doubt

Some of you young uns won't remember one of our top three players of all-time......top class
I heard that when Lorimer used to strike penalties, keepers would try to get out of the way!!!!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Re pens, ive never believed in pussy footing about with penalties. Klichs against Barnsley looked cool and calculated but if the keeper had gone that way its an easy save . To put the ball wide of the sticks in the fashion he did against Derby is just downright idiotic and nonchalant. Hit the bloody ball hard and accurate and no keeper stops it at all, even if he gets a hand on it the chances are we'll get the follow up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Lorimer came to regular prominence in the 1965–66 season, making 34 League Championship appearances and scoring 19 goals, more than any other player at Leeds United managed that season. A skillful and industrious player who operated best in a drifting position either wide on the right (though not as an orthodox winger – he was more likely to cut in and shoot than stay wide and cross) or behind two main strikers (usually Allan Clarke and Mick Jones), Lorimer was a frequent and often spectacular goalscorer, earning himself several nicknames stemming from his powerful shooting – HotShot, Lash and Thunderboots were three of the more prevalent. He became renowned for these strikes, with his shots reaching speeds of up to 90 mph. One penalty kick was recorded at 107 mph.[4]
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

After the game, the Leeds Utd social me ... Thoughts?

As sure as night follows day, as soon as the scapegoat for the season has been found, he'll be blamed for everything that goes wrong.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am Lorimer came to regular prominence in the 1965–66 season, making 34 League Championship appearances and scoring 19 goals, more than any other player at Leeds United managed that season. A skillful and industrious player who operated best in a drifting position either wide on the right (though not as an orthodox winger – he was more likely to cut in and shoot than stay wide and cross) or behind two main strikers (usually Allan Clarke and Mick Jones), Lorimer was a frequent and often spectacular goalscorer, earning himself several nicknames stemming from his powerful shooting – HotShot, Lash and Thunderboots were three of the more prevalent. He became renowned for these strikes, with his shots reaching speeds of up to 90 mph. One penalty kick was recorded at 107 mph.[4]
I remember Lorimer missing 2 in one game..about 76/77. We lost a game we should have won easily. Happens, trick with pen takers is to pick one or two and stick with them.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm kinda glad the t the boo boys are having a go at Harrison in one respect. As a group they're wrong 100% of the time and have to share the one brain cell they own between them...Hopefully Jack won't let it affect him..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Starting Costa and Nketiah with Bamford would look something like this

Casilla
Dallas White Cooper Alioski
Phillips
Costa Hernandez Harrison
Bamford Nketiah

Even if you play Bamford as the AMF I could see teams running riot through that centre midfield
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I like the suggestion on the Square Ball, which is simply to do things in reverse; start with Nketiah, and bring Bamford on as the sub.

The current theory is that Bamford wears teams down, with Nketiah coming on to score late goals.

The reverse would be, use Nketiah to get the goals early, when we are still creating lots of chances, and then bring Bamford on to give more control in the later stages.

Also, without so much pressure on Bamford to score, he might relax and stop fluffing everything.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am I heard that when Lorimer used to strike penalties, keepers would try to get out of the way!!!!
Goalies feared Hot Shot Lorimer full stop.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Giles was like a golfer, he use to curl them in, can't recall him smashing a penalty
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 pm I'm kinda glad the t the boo boys are having a go at Harrison in one respect. As a group they're wrong 100% of the time and have to share the one brain cell they own between them...Hopefully Jack won't let it affect him..
We got worse when Jack & Pablo were subbed
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am I heard that when Lorimer used to strike penalties, keepers would try to get out of the way!!!!
I remember seeing Peter Lorimer hitting the bar with a penalty in a 9-0 friendly win away to Whitby Town in the mid80s. That crossbar is still shaking.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I used to play for my school in Dewsbury. One time we played a school in Leeds. When we went out onto the field we noticed that the nets had huge tears in them. Somebody quickly remarked. "This must be Peter Lorimer's old school"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »