Escape To The Perfect Town

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Mrs64 »

I've always enjoyed programmes such as Escape To The Country/Location, Location, Location

'Escape To The Town' could be quite interesting featuring towns around the UK. I missed the start of the series last week, this series is on BBC1 at 3pm each day

Here is a list of the towns featured next week :

Monday - Tunbridge Wells (know it well being a Sussex lass)
Tuesday - Guildford
Wednesday - Abergavenny (Leon & I been going there for the last 15 years to visit friends, lovely area)
Thursday - Bideford
Friday - Arundel (another lovely rural area in Sussex we're both familiar with)
hector

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by hector »

I have spent an awful lot of hours around Abergavenny!! can't say I like it though. :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mrs64 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 pm I've always enjoyed programmes such as Escape To The Country/Location, Location, Location

'Escape To The Town' could be quite interesting featuring towns around the UK. I missed the start of the series last week, this series is on BBC1 at 3pm each day

Here is a list of the towns featured next week :

Monday - Tunbridge Wells (know it well being a Sussex lass)
Tuesday - Guildford
Wednesday - Abergavenny (Leon & I been going there for the last 15 years to visit friends, lovely area)
Thursday - Bideford
Friday - Arundel (another lovely rural area in Sussex we're both familiar with)
My auntie lives in Arundel, and my parents live ten minutes for there - Bognor Regis.

Arundel has a big castle...
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

We stay at our friends house on the outskirts of Abergavenny in the hills facing the Sugar Loaf mountain Hector :-D
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm My auntie lives in Arundel, and my parents live ten minutes for there - Bognor Regis.

Arundel has a big castle...
Arundel has a lovely castle Elland
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mrs64 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm Arundel has a lovely castle Elland
Indeed
hector

Post by hector »

Mrs64 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm We stay at our friends house on the outskirts of Abergavenny in the hills facing the Sugar Loaf mountain Hector :-D
My feet know Sugar Loaf and all the surrounding hills and mountains very very well indeed, I would like to say it is a lovely part of the world........ but I can't :)

Faaip lives in Guildford :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Can't wait to see how they portray Wolverhampton.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Escape to Rotherham?
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.
John you’ve gotta do Brid for Harbour fish & chips but avoid the Seagulls size of bloody dogs
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I doubt they'll be featuring Wolverhampton or Rotherham Ges & Adam.

Those places are for another programme 'Worst towns in the UK'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm John you’ve gotta do Brid for Harbour fish & chips but avoid the Seagulls size of bloody dogs
Best cafe/tea-room is Victoria Mill in Brid which is down a alleyway opposite the HSBC bank

Homemade cakes/scones (baked on the day) & a cup of latte £5 for two, double the price & more anywhere else, Also furnished with comfortable leather settees, much nicer environment than the cramped Costa & other cafes sitting on plastic chairs. It is like an Aladdin's Cave inside, fascinating place we've visited VM three times in the last couple of weeks it's that good :-D

Seagulls are worse in St Ives Rat
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:03 pm My feet know Sugar Loaf and all the surrounding hills and mountains very very well indeed, I would like to say it is a lovely part of the world........ but I can't :)

Faaip lives in Guildford :)
Not quite but very close, worked there an awful lot though...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm Not quite but very close, worked there an awful lot though...
GW use to live in Giuldford before moving to Devon
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He did,on the outskirts. I'm around 6 miles away from the outskirts.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm He did,on the outskirts. I'm around 6 miles away from the outskirts.
Is that decent record shop still open in Guildford ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not sure, haven't been down that end recently
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

You renting a car or relying on public transport?

Grassington is a bit of a fave re the Dales and Whitby up on the North Yorks coast is great but would need a car really.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Davis Village Green is more south of England Sub Urban type village green, wouldn't it be?