Leeds United Promotion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Bennyfishel
Ballboy
Ballboy

Leeds United Promotion

Post by Bennyfishel »

I saw my first match at Elland road in 1937 when I was 7 years old, against Sunderland and I can still remember certain things in the game and a number of players,(Willis Edwards,and the Milburn brothers).in 1967 My family & I emigrated to Australia so I was no longer able to watch my team play,several years ago when we were relegated I passed a comment to friends "That's the last time United will be in the premier league during my lifetime" they laughed at the remark but it is still applicable and I am 90 years old and probably as fit as some of the current players at Elland road. I think the administration at E R has been absolute garbage so much so I have stopped BRAGGING that am a Leeds Fan and I now apologize that I am a Leeds fan. last years end to the season was an absolute debacle.
Has anyone got a longer living tenancy than I have with the club?? 1937-2019
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United Promotion

Post by The Subhuman »

Respect for the tenure and longevity..I'm nearly 50 yrs a Leeds fan, never will be so embarrassed by the club that I'd ever apologize for being a fan. Miss football when we're not playing always look forward to the next game even if I'm in no position to watch live
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Welcome back Benny

Been watching Leeds 56 years, what a great time to start following my hometown club in the 1963/64 season the year we were promoted from the Second Division to the First as the leagues were named then.

Will we achieve that feat again ? I don't know :duno: I was confident at the start of the season however when I really give our present situation some thought it fills me with concern.

We've lost our chief playmaker Pablo through injury & once again we are losing games without his guile in attacking areas. Four other players are sat in the treatment room too ! If we lose Phillips or White we are right up the creek. We are so reliant on certain players especially Pablo the situation is ludicrous when this type of circumstance was so easy to see in the summer. Unfortunately the majority of our fans could see the problems but Radz/Kinnear/Bielsa buried their heads in the sand claiming we have every position covered. Poppycock as the spine of our first team is weakened imminently if one of them are missing.

Agree with you last seasons demise was absolute debacle, we broke every positive stat as we failed miserably.

Embarrassed with my club ? ......NO as I still watch Leeds home & away every week

Embarrassed with our current/past owners .....Yes as they have all taken the p*ss out of our fans

Paying premiership prices watching championship/league one football.
Selling our best players.
Working on a shoestring even though we have the highest revenue in the EFL not only from football side but from the income from other events within our club.
Our current bosses showing no loyalty to the fans who have followed LUFC up & down the country for decades, despicable & shoddy treatment imo!

Yes we are playing the best football in many years but will it be enough to go up, I don't know :duno:

I've always believed I'll never see Leeds play in the premiership again, maybe I'm right
gessa

Post by gessa »

Nearly 50 years too, can honestly say I've never been embarrassed or ashamed to say who I support, infact very much the opposite.
Frustrated yes, annoyed yes,at times. Didn't enjoy the time under Bates, hate the man with a passion but still never lost hope. Cellino was a madman but perhaps was the only person mad enough to take over from Bates, his hiring and firing was ridiculous but i believe we'd have been in a bigger mess without him
I truly believe we will reach the premier league, sooner rather than later. If we don't do it this year, then I think it will have to be under a different owner,I think this season is Radz last big hope.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

New owner manager combo would mean we start again and another 3-5 yr plan..For me that's what we're in now. Rads's 3-5 yr plan
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:40 pm New owner manager combo would mean we start again and another 3-5 yr plan..For me that's what we're in now. Rads's 3-5 yr plan
So you reckon Radz won't sell the club ?

Will Bielsa stay ?

How do you plan without our three best players Phillps, Pablo & White ?
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:40 pm New owner manager combo would mean we start again and another 3-5 yr plan..For me that's what we're in now. Rads's 3-5 yr plan
I don't think he should go but other than him selling a bigger stake in the club, then losing Bielsa,Phillips White and Pablo, then where do we go without it. I honestly hope the Costa deal only goes ahead if we're promoted, surely they'd know we wouldn't have the funds without it.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:50 pm So you reckon Radz won't sell the club ?

Will Bielsa stay ?

How do you plan without our three best players Phillps, Pablo & White ?

He did say it was a 5 year plan, then he would sell if we're not promoted. 5 years or promotion, then he'd sell but feel if promotion isn't achieved this season he'll need to find investors.

I think if we don't get promoted, Bielsa will think he's failed and leave.

Will be extremely difficult to replace those 3 within our budget of being a championship team. We're doing for Brighton with White, as Villa did with Mings, increasing his value 4 fold.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I honestly think it's this season or never unless a sugar daddy arrives at ER
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Success in 5 years for a virgin football club owner would be an excellent outcome, We'd be looking at a minimum of 2 seasons if we get new owners and that's only if we get a billionaire owner/s who can throw 30 mill at the playing side as a minimum, otherwise you're building from scratch. Phillips has just signed a new deal, he's going nowhere unless we get over 25M for him now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm Success in 5 years for a virgin football club owner would be an excellent outcome, We'd be looking at a minimum of 2 seasons if we get new owners and that's only if we get a billionaire owner/s who can throw 30 mill at the playing side as a minimum, otherwise you're building from scratch. Phillips has just signed a new deal, he's going nowhere unless we get over 25M for him now.
Phillips & White will be playing in the premiership next season if we fail to win promotion.

Pablo will be a year older

Bielsa will probably say I've had enough

Unsure how we'd be in a position to replace these quality four if shove comes to push
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Honestly, I haven't seen any signs of a five-year plan. From where I sit, the plan seems to be "sign Bielsa and cross your fingers". This off season we shed a ton of players and only signed replacements for the first team starters. No new fancy signings to support a "vision". No indication of any vision at all really.

In spite of that, "sign Bielsa and cross your fingers" does have greater odds of success than much of what I've seen floated at ER for a long, long time. So while I might dismiss any "plan", I actually like the squad and our chances this year. Just stop with the injuries and get on a roll already.