Harry Potter/Book/Author discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Harry Potter/Book/Author discussion

Post by 1964white »

Just realised Harry Potter & the Chamber Of Secrets in on ITV now

I have never seen any of the HP films so when questions come up on quiz shows I am totally perplexed.

So Jill & I are watching in anticipation
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Harry Potter

Post by The Subhuman »

Cracking series of films tbf...as are the books. Seen all the films 3/4 times
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:27 pm Cracking series of films tbf...as are the books. Seen all the films 3/4 times
Enjoying this one mate :-D
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Books better than the films but they are an enjoyable watch.
gessa

Post by gessa »

How strange watched part 1 of deathly hallows this morning, pt 2 this evening.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Films get better as they get darker, I can't think of a single film which is better than the book if you read the book first, but this series is as good as it gets book to film wise, far superior to the LOTR series..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm How strange watched part 1 of deathly hallows this morning, pt 2 this evening.

The noise of the horcrux in part 1 does my head in :?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CoS is the second one of course ..you really need to see Philosopher's Stone asap 64..
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:50 pm Films get better as they get darker, I can't think of a single film which is better than the book if you read the book first, but this series is as good as it gets book to film wise, far superior to the LOTR series..

Never watched the LOTR films, worth a go?
gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 pm The noise of the horcrux in part 1 does my head in :?
My youngest leaves the room when it's that time.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 pm Never watched the LOTR films, worth a go?
Not if you love the books..too many inaccuracies, but cracking watch if you've not I'd imagine
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Re-watched Magical Creatures - the first one - last weekend..Had forgotten a lot of that
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 pm Re-watched Magical Creatures - the first one - last weekend..Had forgotten a lot of that

Watched the second one again the other day, lot going on in that one too. Almost bridging the first to the remainder of the series.
gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 pm Never watched the LOTR films, worth a go?

Only read the Hobbit so not had the problem of comparing the films to the books.
Loved the films. Better on the big screen
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:52 pm CoS is the second one of course ..you really need to see Philosopher's Stone asap 64..
Hopefully see them all Faaip :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:59 pm Not if you love the books..too many inaccuracies, but cracking watch if you've not I'd imagine
LOTR is a stunning piece of work, even if that genre is not your thing it is fantastically well written, the impeccably crafted genealogy is a work of genius on it’s own, I’d recommend anyone to read it. OTOH, never been a massive fan of HP - but must confess I’ve never read the books so I’m just going off the movies, enjoyed the films but they always seemed a bit one dimensional to me and never inspired me to read them.
Last edited by NorfolkWhite on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 pm Only read the Hobbit so not had the problem of comparing the films to the books.
Loved the films. Better on the big screen
If you enjoyed the Hobbit in any way give LOTR a read mate.
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:13 pm If you enjoyed the Hobbit in any way give LOTR a read mate.

Have to admit of not being much of a reader, never seem to be able to dedicate enough time, especially for the commitment lotr books would take. If I chill it's to music not reading, If I read I usually fall asleep by the 6th page :)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:18 pm Have to admit of not being much of a reader, never seem to be able to dedicate enough time, especially for the commitment lotr books would take. If I chill it's to music not reading, If I read I usually fall asleep by the 6th page :)
[
/quote]

LOTR could be a long read then :lol:

Used to travel in to Leeds on the train for work which left me 30 mins each way - amazing what you can get through in that hour a day. Don’t read anywhere near as much these days, should make more effort really.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:11 pm LOTR is a stunning piece of work, even if that genre is not your thing it is fantastically well written, the impeccably crafted genealogy is a work of genius on it’s own, I’d recommend anyone to read it. OTOH, never been a massive fan of HP - but must confess I’ve never read the books so I’m just going off the movies, enjoyed the films but they always seemed a bit one dimensional to me and never inspired me to read them.
Rift War saga by Feist, Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Williams, The really dark, Fionavar Tapastry by Gavriel Kaye and finally the series that starts with the Daggerspell book by Katherine Kerr ( a really engrossing 12 book series that weaves so many stories) are worth reading too. Currently rereading the 850 page Magician which is the first in the Rift War saga. First time in 30 years