KARAOKE

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

KARAOKE

Post by Norm »

I hope no-one is offended by this thread, but about 6 months ago I discovered I could sing, at least passably.
For my entire life, until March/April this year, I have never sung in public, apart from occasional visits to church for weddings or funerals, but now I have found a great release by taking part in Karaoke sessions. I honestly never knew I could sing as well as people have told me I can. I’ve had a couple of health problems (now sorted) over the last 2 years but I now feel on top of my game, so I’m searching for songs to sing at my local club. I’ve mastered “Radio Ga Ga” (Queen), “Sound of Silence” (Disturbed) and “The House of the Rising Sun” (Animals).

That’s a brief synopsis of my situation, but I was wondering how many other members have had similar experiences?
hector

Re: KARAOKE

Post by hector »

Sorry mate, never been pissed enough to do this......

and I have been very very pissed at times :)

But fair play to you.... Enjoy yourself :mrgreen:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thank you Hector - you've always been a positive Old Fruit.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Good on you Norm,. Never tried it myself mate but would love it if I could.
Try "whole wide wirkd" Werckless Eric mate..think it would go down a storm mate.
Well done to you sir. :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Well done Norm.

My Karaoke career crashed and burned when I tried to sing Roy Orbinson’s O Pretty Woman to a girl I met when I was on holiday in Corfu.

All my hard work wooing her ended after two minutes of my inane warbling.,, A true tumbleweed moment

Can’t remember her name but she worked in a clothes shop in Stoke.

I think she got off with one of the barmen is instead.

Humiliating.

Never again.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Good on ya Norm.

Never done it myself as I have a really awful singing voice.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I can't sing, it's enough to make the dogs howl :dog: I hum a lot when I have my headphones on to Mrs 64's annoyance :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

With regard to other songs, how about getting ready for May with "We are the champions"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

There is a challenge set everywhere on the Ukulele Underground. It has been going on for over 7 years and most weeks I try to get a song together. This week it is Myths and Legends and I have done " Yestreen the Queen had four Marys" and no they weren' bloody Marys.

Singing is an exercise for the brain and the fingers. Learning the words melody and the chords. When singing it is important to find songs in you vocal range. If I can't hit the high notes then I will transpose the song into a different key so it is easier to sing.

Therefore I go for songs by Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits who have deep sonorous voices and I avoid like the plague Freddie Mercury who wore lycra as an aid to hitting the high notes.

I think Plato said it best "Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the Universe. Flight to the imagination and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. "

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 am Sorry mate, never been pissed enough to do this......

and I have been very very pissed at times :)
This.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:02 am Therefore I go for songs by Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits who have deep sonorous voices
Two legendary singer/songwriters Rab :tup:

Challenging for most I suspect
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

In 1996 me and my brother and a mate were on holiday in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife and we went into a club that was doing Karaoke with a compere introducing the singer's and everything.
We met some girls from Wolverhampton and as we got more and more pissed my mate decided we should try and do a song so he went and put me and him down for UB40's Red Red Wine. Despite my fear of singing in front of people, I love UB40 so I thought I'd give it a go.
Now anyone who knows me will tell I can't sing a note and we belted it out horrendously and for some unknown reason when it got near the end of the song I decided to incorporate the rapping bit "Red Red Wine you make me feel so fine you keep me rocking all of the time" etc You could have heard a pin drop when we finished it was that bad.
I still cringe when I think about it over 20 years later. Needless to say that is the first and last time I have done Karaoke. Even pissed I was embarrassed how bad I was.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've had the misfortune to be present at a couple of Karaoke evenings, not my cup of tea and I can sing a bit. But if you like it and enjoy it Norm then fair play to you. Do what you love..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I have only done it once - at a works do, where everybody had to get up and have a go. I spent ages looking at the list of songs before deciding that Don McLean's American Pie was the only one which was within my vocal range. I could sing when I was young, but struggled when my voice broke. Anyway, lubricated by a few drinks, I surprised myself and sang it quite well. It also helped that the rest of the room joined in at various places. I won the gold prize - a magnum of champagne. Never been tempted to do it since, though.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Just remembered that the Finance Director did Bohemian Rhapsody and absolutely murdered it. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am I can't sing, it's enough to make the dogs howl :dog: I hum a lot when I have my headphones on to Mrs 64's annoyance :lol:
Regular bathing should put paid to that matey ;-) :lol:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Azkalwhite wrote:

1964white wrote:
I can't sing, it's enough to make the dogs howl :dog: I hum a lot when I have my headphones on to Mrs 64's annoyance :lol:

Regular bathing should put paid to that matey ;-) :lol:
I nearly wet myself at that and I'm laughing with you Leon because I'm sure you'll be laughing too!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

In all seriousness, thank you all for your encouraging and humorous posts - I'm chuffed with my MOT 'family'.
This is the only football site I log on to and I love the place to death since I found it in 2003.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

With regard to other songs, how about getting ready for May with "We are the champions"
Another 'Queen' epic - thanks, I'll try that in the hope it may come true for us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:14 am Regular bathing should put paid to that matey ;-) :lol:
:rol: :rol: :rol:

Shower imminent