The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th November) - Matteo on the mend following brain surgery

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th November) - Matteo on the mend following brain surgery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 18th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Hay provides injury update

Leeds journalist Phil Hay has given an indication of whether the queue for the treatment table at Thorp Arch has shortened following the International break. Jamie Shackleton (quad), Forshaw (hip), Nketiah (abdominal), Cooper (tear in groin) and Alioski (side injury) have all been missing from first team action for a number of weeks.

Cooper no, he’s got a tear in his groin so I’d expect him to be longer. Forshaw is getting closer but Nketiah will probably miss out again. Alioski remains a doubt and not sure about Shackleton–he’s had a niggle for a little while.

The ex YEP Chief football writer went on to say that if Nketiah had not been injured, the 20 year old would have started four games in a row!

Leading bookmakers still rate Leeds favourites for Promotion

The world's favourite online sports betting company (according to themselves) Bet365 still rate Leeds Utd as favourites to gain promotion to the Premier League this season. The £2.7 billion company are currently offering bets of 1/4 to see the Whites promoted come what May whether it be automatically, or via the play offs. It means that you'd have to place a bet of £4 to win £1 (plus your stake money back)!

aaaaaaaaaantitled-2.jpg

Interestingly, a better bet may be an each way bet on the leading goal scorer in the Championship. Bamford is 6th favourite to be the golden boot winner this season at 25/1, (12.5/1 to finish in the top 4) and Nketiah is 50/1 (25/1 to finish in the top 4). Mitrovic is currently leading the race for top goal scorer; he has 12 goals to his name. On average, he scores one goal every 120 minutes.

Should Nketiah have an extended run in the team, what are the chances he would catch up with 4th place Jarrod Bowen, currently on 9 goals (and scoring on average one goal every 160 minutes), five ahead of the on loan Gunner?

scorerd-5.jpg

Westwood rumour resurfaces

Leeds have been linked (yet again) to a move for Sheffield Wednesday keeper Keiren Westwood. With the Wendies in deep water with the EFL for financial irregularities, and a ban hanging over Kiko Casilla, could there be any truth in this, or is it just lazy journalism?

Matteo on the mend

Former Leeds legend Dominic Matteo underwent emergency surgery last Monday to remove a brain tumour. News only filtered through to the press once the 45yo former centre back who represented the Whites on 115 occasions was moved of intensive care. I'm sure we all wish him well.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th November) Matteo on the mend following brain surgery

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

Aren't the odds based on the bets made by punters?

Why would we sign someone simply because Casillas is facing a possible ban, why not get a loanee?

Best wishes to the man who scored a great goal in the San Siro
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th November) - Matteo on the mend following brain surgery

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

So if Phil Hay is correct (and he usually is) none of the walking wounded will be available for the Luton game. I thought (hoped) one or two would be available for selection. Their injuries certainly are taking a long while to heal.

I don't bet but I'm not surprised at our odds. We're right up with the front runners despite not even hitting top form. West Brom look good but we've already beaten them. I don't think any other side is better than us so there's no reason other than the size of the squad to not expect promotion this season.
I know there is plenty of others who think otherwise but we'll never get a better chance than this season.

I doubt there is any truth in the Westwood story. We have two very able keepers in Meslier and Miazek if Kiko gets banned.

Shocked to hear about Dom Matteo. Hopefully they have caught it and he makes a full recovery.
Wasn't he at the centenary dinner just a couple of weeks ago?

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th November) - Matteo on the mend following brain surgery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Live now

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hay provides injury update

Bit disappointing, had hoped a few would be back, its about time the club woke up and and MB to and realised a small squad playing this style will suffer to many injuries, you need depth, that's one thing MB's disciples did realise but the Yoda never did.

What I find most frustrating is its all very vague, nobody ever says how long this one will be out for, its always a minor injury that makes players disappear for ages.

Dom Matteo

Was a real shock to hear about Dom, I swear I saw him on Soccer Saturday last week so must have been very sudden. Glad to hear he is on the mend.

Kieran Westwood

Just more nonsense, makes no sense to sign a goalkeeper whatever happens to Kiko. If we do then Orta needs to explain why we wasted money on Meslier, because he should -play if Kiko cant.

Odds

Dont bet, i dont see us as favourites after last season, if Bielsa wasn't here we wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the odds same as last season. Besides, what people bet on is influenced by how many people bet on it so if every member of this forum bet a tenner we would win the league then the odds would shorten even more.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Afternoon Folks.

Injuries
Side injuries, abdominal injury, muscle tears... I wonder if the aerobic side of things is being overdone...

New Keeper
Westwood is superb but it is just a paper story.

Matteo
Get well soon mate, having first hand experience C I can only say that I hope that he and his loved ones get the help he needs.

Odds
Bookies odds are just a reflection of how much money they are taking from those who fancy Leeds. The higher the stakes, the lower the odds. Betting is a mugs game anyway.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:30 pm
Bookies odds are just a reflection of how much money they are taking from those who fancy Leeds.
Absolutely. It's important to remember that odds don't reflect what the bookmakers think will actually happen. They're created to maximize the bookmaker's profit. So short odds on Leeds may simply be an attempt on the part of the bookmakers to get people to bet on other teams.

It's easy to say we should add depth (and we could certainly use a little more), but with FFP, adding depth means sacrificing quality somewhere. I don't know nearly enough about the Championship to know whether the squad we have represents an effective use of our resources (I know how much we pay for our players, but I have no idea whether those salaries represent good value relative to other teams). Plus, when you add depth you are also adding to the number of players who want and expect plenty of playing time (and not just with the U-23s). It's harder to keep a large roster happy, especially if you don't get bitten by the injury bug.

This is one of the reasons why Bielsa gets paid a lot more than I do. I have no idea what I would do.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Always tricky with squad size, if you don't get injuries then you want a small squad so you don't have loads of unhappy players but if you do get injuries then obviously a big squad is needed. I had it with my team, we got promoted one year and I had so many players that were unhappy at not playing, especially those that had been regulars the season before. Needless to say some got fed up and left. The season after we were struggling at times to get 11 players on the pitch so those that had left would have got games. Despite back to back promotions we had better players on the bench when we were in division 3 (that then left) than we had starting matches when we were in division 1. Very hard to keep everyone happy and I fully understand why Bielsa likes versatile players and young players pushing for places.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Always tricky with squad size, if you don't get injuries then you want a small squad so you don't have loads of unhappy players but if you do get injuries then obviously a big squad is needed. I had it with my team, we got promoted one year and I had so many players that were unhappy at not playing, especially those that had been regulars the season before. Needless to say some got fed up and left. The season after we were struggling at times to get 11 players on the pitch so those that had left would have got games. Despite back to back promotions we had better players on the bench when we were in division 3 (that then left) than we had starting matches when we were in division 1. Very hard to keep everyone happy and I fully understand why Bielsa likes versatile players and young players pushing for places.
A lot of sense there