The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th November) - Leeds need another Striker, Whelan

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th November) - Leeds need another Striker, Whelan

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 20th November, and here are the latest headlines...

Hernandez commits future to Leeds

Pablo Hernandez had agreed terms on a new two-year deal at Elland Road, which ties him down until he's 37. It was widely suggested hat the 34 year old would hang up his boot at the end of the season to go in to a coaching role, but the lure of a 30 month contract was too good to turn down. Hernandez has two goals and two assists in 10 appearances this season.

He joins Klitch, Cooper, Dallas and Ayling in signing new lucrative long term deals, but are these players good enough for the Premiership? Furthermore, the length of the respective deals will mean that each player will be at least 32 when their contracts reach maturity! Can multiple players of that age still play high tempo Bielsaball?

Whelan - We need another Striker

Noel Whelan has expressed that Leeds could fall short for a second consecutive season unless they strengthen in January, and according to the Soccer pundit who is still close to the club, they have no plans to sign anybody in January!

Right now, the word coming out of Elland Road is Leeds are not looking to buy anyone in January. That would be a mistake. We need another striker. Defensively, we are very good, but we are winning matches by only one goal, the margins are too tight. We need three natural centre-forwards minimum, and I don’t count Tyler Roberts as one. Clearly, Bielsa doesn’t either as he uses him in an attacking midfield position. If Leeds are serious about promotion they need another striker in January. We are currently without Eddie Nketiah due to injury. What happens if Patrick Bamford gets injured at the weekend. I would be very suggested if Patrick went the whole season without getting injured. His career history suggests he will at some stage.

How much of a gamble are Leeds taking if they do not strengthen their squad in January?

Your first ever Leeds game

When was your first ever Leeds game? How old were you? Did the Whites win? Were you hooked from that moment?

Have you ever had to sit with opposition fans to get in to an away match? Were you found out?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th November) - Leeds need another Striker, Whelan

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks. Pablo was our Player of the Year for the last two seasons.
As an older pro his input is invaluable on and off the pitch. Are those older players able to continue to play Bielsaball... I dont see us having his services after this season no matter what happens.

Whelan is right. I know it isnt new what he is saying but I hope he helps to create pressure at the club to find goals from somewhere.

First Leeds game. They player local side Glentoran on a pre season a long time in the past. Cant recall much about it.

But a quick Google confirms what I feared, the Glens one 3-1. It was 6yo :lol: it was 1971. Must have been a decent outfit too.

Away fans. Not for Leeds, but I sat with my wendies mates at Brammal Lane listening to the anti Leeds, Wednesday vitriol from the fans.
The worst part was when they sang " Stand Up If you hate Wednesday"
I am happy to report we maintained our integrity by remaining sitting and ignoring all eye contact with the drooling Neanderthals who surrounded us.
Last edited by Irish Ian on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th November) - Leeds need another Striker, Whelan

Post by HarryofOz »

If Whelan ever says anything positive about Leeds, I'll be putting on my scarf, gloves and buying arctic gear because hell will have frozen over.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am If Whelan ever says anything positive about Leeds, I'll be putting on my scarf, gloves and buying arctic gear because hell will have frozen over.
Morning/ Evening Harry. I think Whelan is just an anxious fan the same as the rest of us. He just has a wider audience to.
And tbf I he had said the opposite what would people make of that?.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:25 am Morning/ Evening Harry. I think Whelan is just an anxious fan the same as the rest of us. He just has a wider audience to.
And tbf I he had said the opposite what would people make of that?.
Come on Ian, he is always predicting that bad things will happen.

Bielsa will quit, this player will leave, that player will leave and so on, and so forth.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I'm a bit surprised the club have offered Pablo a new contract, I felt for sure he would end his playing days at the end of this season.
If we get promoted he might benefit from having 8 league games less a season but he will still need to used more sparingly I feel.

Noel Whelan - tell us something we don't know. With Nketiah injured I can't understand why Ryan Edmondson isn't getting a place on the bench.
We continue to walk the injury tightrope.

My first Leeds game was against Ipswich at Portman Road around 1974/75. My dad took me and for many years thereafter. Around the same time my uncle took me to Filbert Street to see them play Leicester. I know we won, I think it was 2-0.
My dad also took me to St James Park and I remember Ray Hankin was built like a brick shithouse and as dirty as f**k even for those days.
I haven't been to ER since we were in league 1. I need to get my arse up there this season.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

No logic in giving Pablo another 2 years at his age , yet again dishing out contracts that are beyond belief. I can't see lessons being learnt at all where the management are concerned.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Whelan again, pfft.

My first Leeds game was at Hillsborough, I would have been in my 30s, and I think we lost. I wasn't really switched on to football then, I'm a late developer. My partner at the time supported Wednesday, so it would have been in the home end. I do remember a large number of Leeds fans still singing out in the streets afterwards.
hector

Post by hector »

We don't need another striker, we actually need A striker....

Pablo, hope that he will take on some coaching duties after next season.

1st match was in 70's we at school (6 of us) hitchhiked (against all school rules) from Skipton, no idea who we played, no idea what the score was....

I had to go in the away end in the 90's at Coventry when we played there, a good friend and work mate spotted me, I didn't know he was head of the Legion and a cage fighter by night........ However he kept quiet at the match.. :mrgreen:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agree Hector, has anyone considered Pablo going on to be our head coach as he learns under Bielsa. If that happens the longer he stays on the books the better. I get the feeling he'd be a very good HC.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Has Pablo expressed any interest in coaching?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

How much of a gamble are Leeds taking if they do not strengthen their squad in January?

How many times did I rattle on in the summer that we required a 25 a season goalscorer?

I sounded like a broken record

Even though Marcelo has put a couple of names forward I doubt we'll sign them as Orta has already quoted we won't be engaging in a lot of tranfer activity.....Strikers cost money so very doubtful indeed

Your first ever Leeds game.......when was your first ever Leeds game?

Leeds v Grimsby Town - 1963/64

How old were you?

9yo

Did the Whites win?

Yes 3-0, Billy scored & he became an instant boyhood hero

Were you hooked from that moment?

I would say so, 56 years later I'm still following Leeds home & away

Have you ever had to sit with opposition fans to get in to an away match?

Twice

White Hart Lane

KC Stadium

Were you found out?

No
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I got found out in the Kop at Anfield.

It was the League Cup three or 4 years back. In the first minute of the second half Roofe almost scored and I jumped to my feet without thinking.

Fortunately so did hundreds of other Leeds fans who were also in the wrong end of the Stadium.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 pm Agree Hector, has anyone considered Pablo going on to be our head coach as he learns under Bielsa. If that happens the longer he stays on the books the better. I get the feeling he'd be a very good HC.
Mentioned a coaching role in the Pablo thread yesterday

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34994&start=220#p752562
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:51 am With Nketiah injured I can't understand why Ryan Edmondson isn't getting a place on the bench.
Because he's not ready for championship football Chilli

Noises coming out of Thorpe Arch that Leeds are looking to loan Edmondson out in January
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 pm I got found out in the Kop at Anfield.

It was the League Cup three or 4 years back. In the first minute of the second half Roofe almost scored and I jumped to my feet without thinking.

Fortunately so did hundreds of other Leeds fans who were also in the wrong end of the Stadium.
The one when Roofe curled a shot against the inside of a post, I thought it was in as soon as he hit it from the edge of the box at the Leeds end.

Losing Cooper at half-time was a blow as Ayling replaced him in the CB role, first time Luke had played in that position for Leeds, he's still not a convincing CB imo!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Away ends?...Chelsea about 15 times, Fulham twice, QPR about 10 times. Ashton Gate once, West Ham a few times. When you live in the south and your mates are all Chelsea fans, your cousins Rangers fans, your uncle a West Ham fan and your best mates dad a Fulham season ticket holder...you go with the flow.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Back in my Rangers following days I did get in to a ferry full of Celtic Fans.

What made it slightly awkward was that it was the day after one of the rare occasions Rangers won at Parkhead.

Not good.
'
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:36 pm Because he's not ready for championship football Chilli

Noises coming out of Thorpe Arch that Leeds are looking to loan Edmondson out in January
Sorry but I don't see the logic in that statement 64.
He's banging goals in on a regular basis for the U23's which is the next level down from the first team so how do we know if he's ready for the championship or not if he isn't given the chance?
I'm not saying he should start but while Eddie is out injured surely we should have a recognised striker who is full of confidence right now on the bench as cover for Bamford?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 am Sorry but I don't see the logic in that statement 64.
He's banging goals in on a regular basis for the U23's which is the next level down from the first team so how do we know if he's ready for the championship or not if he isn't given the chance?
I'm not saying he should start but while Eddie is out injured surely we should have a recognised striker who is full of confidence right now on the bench as cover for Bamford?
Watched the U23's two or three times this season & Ryan seems to have struggled on the occasions I've seen him play. Rumours are that he is going out on loan to L1/L2 club to give him more competitive match experience.

You are right Chilli we should have a recognised striker on the bench, unfortunately that is the crazy situation we're in as we seem to operate on a handful of strikers/CB's but have millions of midfielders/wing-backs in our squad. Right now god help us if Bamford, White or Phillips suffer a long-term injury.