The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 22nd November) Will Izzy come back to haunt the Whites

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 22nd November) Will Izzy come back to haunt the Whites

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 22nd November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Pre match press conference - Will Izzy come back to haunt the Whites

During Marcelo Bielsa's pre match press conference, the Argentine was asked about Izzy Browns fine form for the Hatters;

I’m happy about that. He was with us and he had very good behaviour here. He’s showing a level he didn’t show with us. I consider this a mistake of mine. At Luton he is able to compete to play matches. We couldn’t give him this.

If we’d had him for another year, maybe we could have got another version of him. At Luton he arrived healthy and recovered. We needed six months where he couldn’t work properly. But don’t take credit away from him or the people who are with him now.

If I am honest, Brown was not given a single opportunity to show what he could do! Obviously the gaffer saw him train on a daily basis, but that is very different to a match scenario, and with the slender margins between winning and losing I can't help but think that a few moments of magic could have made the difference for the Whites last season!

Thoughts?

Higginbotham - Phillips is superior to Rice and Winks

Soccer pundit Danny Higginbotham has urged Gareth Southgate to select Kalvin Phillips as his holding midfielder and reckons the Leeds star is superior to current options Declan Rice and Harry Winks.

Gareth Southgate has switched between Declan Rice and Harry Winks in this holding position — but for me it is still up for grabs ahead of next summer. Looking outside the current squad, there are not exactly many English defensive midfielders excelling in the Premier League. But in Leeds’ Kalvin Phillips I see someone who could force his way into Southgate’s reckoning..

The 23-year-old has been outstanding for Marcelo Bielsa’s side and has a number of really good attributes. I like his positional sense, he’s a very good tackler, and his distribution both long and short is fantastic.

Yes, Phillips has never played in the Premier League. But I don’t have an issue with that at all — there were plenty of clubs in for him over the summer and he would undoubtedly be playing in the top tier now if Leeds hadn’t done everything to keep hold of him. And in calling up Mason Mount last October when he was on loan at Derby from Chelsea, Southgate has shown he is not afraid to select a Championship player.

The Three Lions don’t play again until March — if Phillips continues in this current vein of form then I see no reason why he shouldn’t be involved. I’m not saying he should be brought in as first choice. But in a position which is yet to be locked down, Phillips is well worth having a look at.

Dilemma

Assume you are the Leeds Utd Manager, and its January 1st. An offer comes in for Kelvin Phillips of 50m!!!!! It's your decision. What would you do?

To give you some assistance, hre is a list of Leeds most expensive signings, and departures, including what the players would be worth today!

Top-10 most expensive sales...
Alan Smith (04/05) to Manchester United for £8.1m - £29.1m today
David Rocastle (93/94) to Manchester City for £2.2m - £33.4m today
Robbie Fowler (02/03) to Manchester City for £8.8m - £33.8m today
Robbie Keane (02/03) to Tottenham Hotspur for £9.5m - £36.2m today
Harry Kewell (03/04) to Liverpool for £9m - £37.8m today
Gary Speed (95/96) to Everton for £4.4m - £41.6m today
Jonathan Woodgate (02/03) to Newcastle United for £12.2m - £46.6m today
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (99/00) to Atletico Madrid for £15m - £51.8m today
David Batty (93/94) to Blackburn Rovers for £3.4m - £52.6m today
Rio Ferdinand (02/03) to Manchester United for £41.4m - £158.7m today

Top-10 most expensive purchases...
Lee Bowyer (96/97) from Charlton Athletic for £3.4m - £25m today
David Hopkin (97/98) from Crystal Palace for £4.4m - £25m today
Tony Yeboah (95/96) from Eintracht Frankfurt for £2.9m - £27.8m today
David Rocastle (92/93) from Arsenal for £2.2m - £30.4m today
Robbie Fowler (01/02) from Liverpool for £15.1m - £34.2m today
Robbie Keane (01/02) from Internazionale for £16.2m - £36.6m today
Carlton Palmer (94/95) from Sheffield Wednesday for £2.8m - £40.4m today
Lee Sharpe (96/97) from Manchester United for £6.1m - £44.4m today
Rio Ferdinand (00/01) from West Ham United for £23.4m - £59.7m today
Brian Deane (93/94) from Sheffield United for £3.9m - £60.7m today

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 22nd November) Will Izzy come back to haunt the Whites

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

50 million is a great price for Phillips, but pointless if the money is not going to be spent on strengthening the team.

No regrets about Brown
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 22nd November) Will Izzy come back to haunt the Whites

Post by weasel »

Izzy Brown was never in a position to really play the Bielsa way. If he hadn't suffered an initial setback after he appeared to have recovered from his injury then maybe he would have been able to get up to speed. You just have to look at Nketiah and Costa who have come to the club uninjured and fit but both have taken 3 or 4 months to get to anywhere near the level Bielsa demands. Brown had to first get over the injury completely and then build up strength. After that was getting match fit and that is hard as he didn't have any sort of pre-season to build up the fitness.

Izzy is clearly a good player and this season he has shown this but this is because he is fully over his injury and has also had a full pre-season. He is now completely injury free and completely fit. He was just nowhere near up to the fitness levels last season to be a cog in the Bielsa machine and the Bielsa machine is reliant on every player, including the keeper, being able to perform their role.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning all

Agree with the sentiments already written Izzy came to us injured, so never really had a chance to even establish himself on the bench, I wish him well apart from tomorrow when I hope he has a poor game ;-)

£50m for Kalvin would be a massive amount of money but I don’t see anyone in the current squad that could replace him and anyone else in the Championship they value would sky rocket just because it’s us asking and they know we’ve got to replace him, so it would be a no from me as they could seriously put a dent in our season
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Felt sorry for Izzy came on last season against QPR when we were desperate for a goal and got himself booked trying to win the ball back and was rarely seen again.

I read these comments about it taking players a couple of months to fit into the Bielsa system.

Is that a strength or a weakness in the system?

If KP was sold I we would need to purchase another CB as cover and tweak the formation to 4-2-3-1 using two DFMs- Shacks and Forshaw could be s solution. I cant see us doing well TM wise trying to replace KP.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm loving the fact that journalists & people in the know are touting Phillips to be immediately selected in the England squad. Although I was mocked for my opinion I could see in the first two months of Bielsa's tenure that Kalvin would play for England in the future Just as I witnessed the first time I saw Ben White play for Leeds when I made the comparison of his game to Rio Ferdinand, a natural who'll no doubt will follow Kalvin into the England set-up :P
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 am
Love the way the whole squad seem to have a sense of togetherness
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

And Bamford is just as languid in training :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:55 am And Bamford is just as languid in training :lol:
Reading something whilst on a bike :lol:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:34 pm Reading something whilst on a bike :lol:
Hopefully the latest Vydra rumour :roflmao:
'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 am £50m for Kalvin would be a massive amount of money but I don’t see anyone in the current squad that could replace him and anyone else in the Championship they value would sky rocket just because it’s us asking and they know we’ve got to replace him, so it would be a no from me as they could seriously put a dent in our season
You know & I know Kalvin is vital to our cause for our promotion challenge, wouldn't sell him for any amount of money in January

Would be sheer madness!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm Hopefully the latest Vydra rumour :roflmao:
:rol:

No he looked too happy for that, more like an extended lucrative contract
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm You know & I know Kalvin is vital to our cause for our promotion challenge, wouldn't sell him for any amount of money in January

Would be sheer madness!
This Leeds United...he's gone in January !
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 pm This Leeds United...he's gone in January !
Unfortunately every Leeds United has been a selling club. But with reported QSI money on the horizon, and the fact that the money is unlikely to help our bid for top two Leeds should keep, allow Kalvin to break into the International squad first.
'
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm You know & I know Kalvin is vital to our cause for our promotion challenge, wouldn't sell him for any amount of money in January

Would be sheer madness!
100% Ditto
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Typical Bielsa to blame himself, bless him. If Izzy Brown wasn't ready, then he wasn't ready. Also hope he does well for Luton, apart from tomorrow obvs.

Also no way to selling Kalvin in January. Makes no sense on any level.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Would be sheer madness!
My thoughts exactly.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What if Kalvin's wants to go....he gets paid, increases his England chances, gets to play at the highest level. Ellandback asked if we were manager would we sell, but I ask if we were manager would you ask Kalvin's opinion?

Or would you say it's nothing to do with him and we own him?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"