Confidence

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Confidence

Post by Cjay » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:37 pm

If Paddy Bamford hadnt scored 2 in his last 3 plus an assist i dont think he plays like he did yesterday.

I think his head drops after the initial chance has gone and he doesnt bury the 2nd one from Jack's excellent flighted cross.

But if Jack hadnt scored and assisted a few last month then Paddy probably doesnt get that brilliant 2nd ball in. Jack takes a touch or 4, cuts inside and dithers and nothing happens.

And if Klich doesnt get that deflection to take the ball past the keeper then he probably crosses that ball 2nd half rather then curling a beauty into the top corner.

Helder has been improving but still hadnt quite found an end product, but the assist vs Luton was the breakthrough. Without it maybe he isnt so persistent yesterday, or maybe rather then smashing the ball at goal after his great work he passes it to the player to his left (Harrison i think) and Boro get men back and Costa's lovely quick feet and perseverance comes to nothing.

Imo our performance wasnt all that different to how we usually play, we usually create chances, concede few chances and dominate the ball.

Pretty standard really.

But confidence was the key, everything clicked for a change, we were clinical, players who maybe a month or two ago would have done something totally different in similar situations did what they did yesterday because they were confident.

Bamford's goal gave the team confidence.

Casilla (contrary to what the media say) oozes confidence and it rubs off on his defenders who have total confidence in him (that turn away from the Boro players was filth).

Cooper gives White confidence, White gives Ayling confidence, Ayling gives Phillips confidence and so on.

Whether we have the best individuals talent wise in the league is up for debate.

But when the team are confident in themselves and eachother then yesterday happens. BielsaBall gives us an edge on other teams, but confidence gives us even more, you cant legislate for players who are confident because they may do the unexpected.

We have lacked a clinical edge for ages but maybe yesterday was the turning point?

Klich is confident again.
Costa is confident
Paddy is confident
Harrison is confident

Confident players are better players, with our attacking players finding confidence hopefully the Boro game will become more of the norm because as i said imo, yesterday wasnt all that different from usual.

The difference i think was circumstances had caused an increase in confidence for certain players and yesterday was the result :)

lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Confidence

Post by lufc1304 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Another excellent post, Cjay, and I agree. Confidence is contagious, players feel they can do anything and it will come off. It won't always, of course, but they'll keep trying. And team mates will believe, so they'll make those runs, expecting X to beat his man and pick the pass, whip the cross over etc. And I wholeheartedly agree re Casilla, he's inspiring a defence who believe they won't be beaten, and even if they do, Kiko will be there. Long may it continue.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Excellent post Cjay and good follow-up Nick.
We're beginning to play like Champions and long may it last.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Cjay you're perhaps the most thoughtful and insightful poster we've had on here in my experience.
I look forward to your posts and thank you for your perception and energy with your research and presentation.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 pm

The saying form is temporary, class is permanent springs to mind. it is a reason why MB doesn't chop and change his side. He knows the potential of these players and knows he can get them to play to that level. When it all clicks they are merely doing what Bielsa has made possible by his faith in them.
Senor El Weasel

Advertisment