Huddersfield Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Cooper and Phillips replaced by Alioski and Berardi

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Huddersfield Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Cooper and Phillips replaced by Alioski and Berardi

Post by Ellandback1 »

Huddersfield Town v Leeds Utd

Saturday 7th December 2019 12.30pm | John Smith's Stadium

Leeds travel to the John Smith's Stadium on Saturday lunchtime to face local rivals Huddersfield Town, hoping to make it six wins on the trot! The Whites hauled in a maximum 15 points in November, and will be keen to extend their unbeaten run into December.

Marcelo Bielsa will be without influential midfielder Kelvin Phillips who serves a one match suspension having racked up 5 yellow cards since they kicked the season off at Ashton Gate back in August. Reliable sources at Elland Road are suggesting that Ben White will take over defensive midfield duties, with Berardi recalled to partner Cooper at centre back.

With six games remaining until the New Year, Bielsa will be under pressure to give Eddie Nketiah game time. Since returning to training last Thursday, the on loan Gunner has played 45 minutes for the U23's and came on for Bamford with 15 minutes remaining as the 20 year old aims to get match fit. With Bamford rediscovering his shooting boots in recent weeks, what will Bielsa do?

Huddersfield are win-less in four, and have slipped to 19th in the table. Terriers Manager Danny Cowley described that he was embarrassed following his sides 5-2 defeat against Bristol City; especially as his team had been pampered having been flown down the previous day. It's 2017 since the two teams met, the season Huddersfield were promoted to the Premier League. Huddersfield Town full-backs Danny Simpson and Jaden Brown are doubtful, along with striker Fraizer Campbell.

Leeds have lost their past three league matches against Huddersfield - they have not lost four in a row against their Yorkshire rivals since a run of six between 1928 and 1931. Leeds lost 1-0 and 2-1 in the games that season but the tides have turned with Leeds now vying for promotion and Huddersfield fighting for survival.

Leeds Srarting XI:
Casilla, Ayling, Berardi, Alioski, Dallas, White, Klich, Hernandez, Harrison, Costa, Bamford

Subs: Miazek, Douglas, Hosannah, Casey, Gotts, Clarke, Nketiah
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Huddersfield Town v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

Can't be happy with anything but a win here if we're serious about promotion. Hopefully the mongrels will be at rock bottom mentally after that hammering and our goalscorers will be bouncing after a big win and be hungry for more. I wouldn't be surprised to see White bag one in his midfield outing.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm Can't be happy with anything but a win here if we're serious about promotion. Hopefully the mongrels will be at rock bottom mentally after that hammering and our goalscorers will be bouncing after a big win and be hungry for more. I wouldn't be surprised to see White bag one in his midfield outing.
As brilliant as White is, his shooting ability is Battyesque!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 pm As brilliant as White is, his shooting ability is Battyesque!
Hey, I said I wouldn't be surprised, not that I'd put it in my prediction! :roflmao:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

There are certain games where you just don't think you will win (Brentford away for example) and for some reason I have that feeling about this one.
On paper it should be a straightforward win, we're second and they're 19th, we're coming off the back of a 4-0 win and them a 5-2 defeat but it's a local derby and they will be well up for it.
If we can get our noses in front early we could go on and win it comfortably but I have a feeling it will be more like the Wendies game and so predict a draw.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:33 am There are certain games where you just don't think you will win (Brentford away for example) and for some reason I have that feeling about this one.
On paper it should be a straightforward win, we're second and they're 19th, we're coming off the back of a 4-0 win and them a 5-2 defeat but it's a local derby and they will be well up for it.
If we can get our noses in front early we could go on and win it comfortably but I have a feeling it will be more like the Wendies game and so predict a draw.
Feel the same so hoping we score early so their heads go down then let’s go for them and well and truly put the Dog Botherers in a kennel - 0-5 Leeds away win
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Usually I would be equally pessimistic about an away trip to Hudds, given how its been for us in recent years, but I sense that this team has a much stronger mettle about it probably due to what happened at the end of last season. I think we can go there and win, probably by a single goal, to extend this great run we are on.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I'm not convinced a back three without Ben White is a good move.

I shudder at the thought of Ayling, Berra and Cooper against a front two.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Karlan Grant is their main goal scoring threat and will need to be kept quiet.
11 goals in 19 games for a struggling side is a pretty good return.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
gessa

Post by gessa »

Could it be a game to switch things around, I like the back 4 as it is, they play well as a unit, why disrupt it.

.......................Kiko

Ayling..........White............Cooper.........Dallas

Hernandez........Klich......Shackleton..........Harrison

...............Bamford...............Eddie.........
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am Could it be a game to switch things around, I like the back 4 as it is, they play well as a unit, why disrupt it.

Bielsa likes a back 3 when the opposition use two strikers, but that said that lineup looks decent.

Is Shacks fit again?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:03 am Bielsa likes a back 3 when the opposition use two strikers, but that said that lineup looks decent.

Is Shacks fit again?

I don't think for one minute this will be the team, just wondered if it would work.

Yes he came on as sub for a few minutes last weekend.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am Could it be a game to switch things around, I like the back 4 as it is, they play well as a unit, why disrupt it.

Would love to see that!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Shackleton out with a new injury ( muscular)
'
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I'd like to see

Ayling..........White............Cooper.........Alioski

Hernandez........Klich......Dallas..........Harrison

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I would keep Costa on cos he is just getting into his stride
and give Pablo some time as a super sub.
And for the delight and confusion of the fans a double spearhead up front

Code: Select all

Kiko
Ayling Cooper Alioski
       White
Costa Klich Dallas Harrison
     Bamford Eddie
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Shackleton out with a new injury ( muscular)
Ffs... unbelievable, actually he must be getting a 'sick note' reputation by now.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rab_rant wrote:I would keep Costa on cos he is just getting into his stride

Kiko
Ayling Cooper Alioski
       White
     Bamford Eddie
I'd agree with you there RR. I think Leeds have enough to beat Udders without Pablo but bring him on if necessary although he did play 3 last week without any adverse effects it seems but he does need looking after.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:16 pm I would keep Costa on cos he is just getting into his stride

Kiko
Ayling Cooper Alioski
       White
     Bamford Eddie
Not sure i'd be happy with alioski as part of a 3 centre back defense. :duno:
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench