The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th December) - The writing is on the wall for Nketiah

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th December) - The writing is on the wall for Nketiah

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 5th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

The Writing is on the wall for Nketiah

According to the Daily Mail, Eddie Nketiah is set to return to Arsenal in January as they plot to determine where the 20 year old will spend the second half of the season. The England U21 hitman,who has a 1 in 1 ratio for his Country has a wealth of admirers. In fact, there would not be a single club in the Championship that wouldn't give their right arm to bring someone with Eddie's pedigree to their club.

Arsenal had already communicated their disappointment to Leeds earlier in the season, yet their warning fell on deaf ears as he was constantly overlooked. Now, the Gunners feel he would be better served elsewhere for the second half of the season. Nketiah has played 276 minutes across all competitions, scoring five goals in return, yet has not started a single league game this term.

Whilst Nketiah's abdominal injury came at a bad time, I can't help but think that he has been treated very badly by Bielsa. Freddie Ljungberg, Arsenal's interim manager, also hinted at the Gunners' displeasure with England under-21 striker's situation.

I need to be careful [what I say] but I think Eddie is a great player. If he goes on loan we want him to play football and get minutes otherwise they can maybe be here. I feel a bit sorry for him because he is a great player and the future of this club. When he has had his chance he scores goals and that's what he is about.

What impact will it have if Leeds lose Clarke and Nketiah?

A separate North London source are claiming that Jack Clarke will be moving to the City Ground in January. Whilst both rumours have been circulating for some time, there now seems to be far more likely that Leeds will lose 30m pounds worth of talent in January that they won't be able to replace very easily!

We all know how difficult it is to pick up talent in the January transfer window, yet in all likelihood two of Leeds promotion rivals could pick up the bargains of the season. We've seen what both players can do, yet have not been given the opportunity to show it! What impact will it have if Leeds lose Clarke and Nketiah? How difficult will they be to replace?

Sheffield Wednesday to counter-sue the EFL regarding FFP charges

Sheffield Wednesday are counter suing the EFL for bringing charges against them for misconduct following the sale and subsequent buy back of their ground. The charges relate to the process of how and when the stadium was sold and the inclusion of the profits in the 2017/18 accounts. If found guilty, the Wendies could face a 21 point deduction.

A statement for the South Yorkshire club read:
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club has today filed its response to the charges brought against it by the English Football League for alleged misconduct concerning the sale and leaseback of Hillsborough stadium and the inclusion of the profit on that sale in the Club’s 2017/18 accounts.

The Club has informed the EFL that the charges are themselves unlawful and, without prejudice to that fact, are all denied by the Club and the other Respondents.

The Club has reserved all of its rights against the EFL and will take all such actions as are necessary to protect its rights and integrity, and those of its current and former officers, including in relation to inaccurate reporting. The Club has also notified the EFL that it stands ready to bring a claim against the EFL to obtain compensation for its conduct.

The Club maintains that it consulted with the relevant executive officers of the EFL in connection with the stadium transaction and that it acted in good faith. The Club has in its possession numerous emails, letters and other documents in which the EFL gave authorisation to the transaction, and on which authorisation the Club understood it could rely.

That authorisation gave rise in law to a legitimate expectation that the transaction would be accepted by the EFL, which is binding on the EFL. The EFL is acting in breach of that binding legitimate expectation by retrospectively treating as misconduct that which it had itself previously authorised, and this makes the charges themselves "unlawful.

The Club is accordingly bringing its own claim against the EFL to establish that it is acting unlawfully, as well as standing ready, if necessary, to vigorously defend the charges.

The Club will make no further comment at this time.

Whilst its mildly amusing that a football club is suing its governing body for suing them, it does at least show that they won't be walked over. I can't help but feel that with all the trials and tribulations that have occurred at Elland Road, if Leeds had done the same, perhaps the FA / EFL would think twice before doing it again.

Thoughts?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th December) - The writing is on the wall for Nketiah

Post by HarryofOz »

Whilst Nketiah's abdominal injury came at a bad time, I can't help but think that he has been treated very badly by Bielsa.
No he hasn't
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th December) - The writing is on the wall for Nketiah

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning all

I for one have called for Eddie to start instead of Bambi numerous times on here and elsewhere but Bielsa is the boss and he decided not to, unfortunately when he pretty much had to play Eddie he picked up an injury :shock: so we’ll never know how well that would have gone, thankfully Bambi started hitting the net.

If Eddie goes back I’ll be massively disappointed, same with Clark but we move on this is Leeds it’s not meant to be a smooth ride ;-)
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I think the only way that leeds can hold onto him is to play him in every match which is not going to happen when the team playing well and near top of the league. I feel like its a missed opportunity for leeds and one which could have been avoided had bielsa started eddie when bamford was struggling.

The only positive i would say is if eddie goes back it may open the door for ryan edmundson.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Daily Fail? ...seriously?

Not saying he won't get recalled but the sources so far have been less than reliable.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 amNo he hasn't
I'd have played him more but he's not been treated badly I agree, We haven't really had the opportunity to give him a run

It's a tricky one because he doesn't seem to either fit into or is deemed ready for our system. Problem is if (big if) he's recalled and re-loaned to a championship contender he has the kind of talent that would instantly become a threat for us. To a top 6 side he could make them a top 2 side in a heartbeat.

But I'm not convinced Arse will recall, if they can recall ( I thought recall clauses were no longer available on season long deals) and I'm hoping they'll realise he'll learn a lot more sitting on the bench under Bielsa than playing under just about any other manager.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:35 am I'd have played him more but he's not been treated badly I agree, We haven't really had the opportunity to give him a run

It's a tricky one because he doesn't seem to either fit into or is deemed ready for our system. Problem is if (big if) he's recalled and re-loaned to a championship contender he has the kind of talent that would instantly become a threat for us. To a top 6 side he could make them a top 2 side in a heartbeat.

But I'm not convinced Arse will recall, if they can recall ( I thought recall clauses were no longer available on season long deals) and I'm hoping they'll realise he'll learn a lot more sitting on the bench under Bielsa than playing under just about any other manager.
I'm just sick of the complaints about Bielsa. He took us within a whisker of promotion last season, and has us at the top of the table this season. We are not only winning games, but we are playing good football.

There is no basis for the assumption that we'd be doing better if we played Eddie more. Maybe he will be a success elsewhere - should that happen - but that doesn't mean the he'd make us more successful than we already are,
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Yeah I agree with Ratscoot.
Eddie had bided his time, was doing the business when he came on and was about to replace Bamford in the stadting line up when he picked up his abdominal injury.
He's only just come back and had 45 minutes for the U23's and a short appearance against Boro, so what do Arsenal expect?
Maybe Bielsa stuck with Bamford for a game or two longer than she should have but we all know how loyal he is to his players.
And Bamford is scoring again now so unless Bielsa decides to play them both or Bamford gets an injury I don't see Eddie starting in the near future.

It will be interesting to so how the Wendies dispute turns out. They've certainly come back at the EFL with all guns blazing and claim to have proof the sale of the ground was sanctioned.
We should have stood up to them in the same way over Spygate. A 200k fine when nothing illegal was committed is disgraceful.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Eddie was kept out of the starting 11 from a mis firing slow CF
That was called as a mistake at the time and if this story is true the mistake grows bigger by the week.

For all those who will play the Bielsa didnt want him card( they think) even if true good managers use the tools they have been given. Going into the season with only two strikers was silly but only playing one of them was just madness. Eddie gives us something different. That header against Preston would never have been taken by Bamford.

I applaud Wednesday for fighting back properly against the EFL. It will be interesting going forward to see what argument they use.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

If Eddie does go back the problem I envisage would be, what club would send any of their young talent here to replace him, they send them out on loan to get game time not a few minutes here and there.
Hopefully it won't come to that.
I did see an interview with Johnson at Bristol City, he reckons it has come to there attention that Eddie may be available in January and they would do all in their power to get him, could be just shite stirring though.

I was told last week by a Spurs fan, the talk there is that Clarke was definitely being recalled, to go back out on loan to play games elsewhere in the Championship. He may do well elsewhere but doesn't seem to be a good fit here.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 amNo he hasn't
In my best panto voice) Oh yes he has!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 am Eddie was kept out of the starting 11 from a mis firing slow CF
That was called as a mistake at the time and if this story is true the mistake grows bigger by the week.

For all those who will play the Bielsa didnt want him card( they think) even if true good managers use the tools they have been given. Going into the season with only two strikers was silly but only playing one of them was just madness. Eddie gives us something different. That header against Preston would never have been taken by Bamford.

I applaud Wednesday for fighting back properly against the EFL. It will be interesting going forward to see what argument they use.
Ian, Nketiah was interviewed following scoring a hatrick for the U21's and was asked about not starting games at Leeds.

How much of a warning did Leeds need? He scored a hattrick for England U21's and still ignored.

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

This is also part of Ljungberg's statement, the comment at the end could be significant.

"I’ve been calling him (throughout the season) and he texted me as well two days ago," he added before playing down the chance of a January recall.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 am I'm just sick of the complaints about Bielsa. He took us within a whisker of promotion last season, and has us at the top of the table this season. We are not only winning games, but we are playing good football.

There is no basis for the assumption that we'd be doing better if we played Eddie more. Maybe he will be a success elsewhere - should that happen - but that doesn't mean the he'd make us more successful than we already are,
If it wasn't for a dodgy penalty we'd be top now, still second 5 points clear of third,on an eight game unbeaten run and that loss was because of three substantial reffering decisions, yet still he gets questioned and criticised, what would it be like if we were mid table or worse, yes perhaps then it would be justified, really not sure what folk want, that is reasonable to want.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:42 am I'm just sick of the complaints about Bielsa. He took us within a whisker of promotion last season, and has us at the top of the table this season. We are not only winning games, but we are playing good football.

As am I and doubly so for Rads and Orta who have effected a miraculous change throughout the club in no time at all and without going all Viv Nicholson about it

I'm never going to be a Bamford fan, he's a serviceable, limited CF but he's our number 1 for MB and that's that. I can live with that as I had to live with watching Lee Chapman play.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I'll play devils advocate

Bielsa has been great for Leeds (so far), but is rewarded handsomely for his efforts.

Has he learnt by his mistakes last season?

When was the last time we has a decent second half of the season?

What I see is that Leeds have an amazing opportunity in what can only be described as an average Championship league, yey he refuses to rest people, and give 30-35m of talent an opportunity to impress.

Has Clarke turned crap overnight - No

If Nketiah can score hatricks foe England U21's, why hasn't he been given an opportunity at ER?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 am If it wasn't for a dodgy penalty we'd be top now, still second 5 points clear of third,on an eight game unbeaten run and that loss was because of three substantial reffering decisions, yet still he gets questioned and criticised, what would it be like if we were mid table or worse, yes perhaps then it would be justified, really not sure what folk want, that is reasonable to want.
But life isn't that black and white gessa, Bielsa does good things and is rightly praised he has transformed Leeds but even he has said that he has regrets about the way he has handled certain players -- two weeks ago he spoke about Izzy Brown.

How easy will it be to Leeds to replace Nketiah if Arsenal recall him because Leeds did not honour an agreement they made?

Half the league were after Eddie and we got him, and are doing our best to let him go.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:59 am Ian, Nketiah was interviewed following scoring a hatrick for the U21's and was asked about not starting games at Leeds.

How much of a warning did Leeds need? He scored a hattrick for England U21's and still ignored.

I saw that at the time and had hoped that he would be rewarded with a start the next game.

Edit: I just noticed that it was only this week that Eddies picture appeared on the Leeds United squad page.
Sloppy Leeds

Oh and just to keep up.

Ryan Kent goals and assists for Rangers.
'
gessa

Post by gessa »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am But life isn't that black and white gessa, Bielsa does good things and is rightly praised he has transformed Leeds but even he has said that he has regrets about the way he has handled certain players -- two weeks ago he spoke about Izzy Brown.

How easy will it be to Leeds to replace Nketiah if Arsenal recall him because Leeds did not honour an agreement they made?

Half the league were after Eddie and we got him, and are doing our best to let him go.
My point being, we are top 2, every manager in football is judged on results, we have no way of knowing if Eddie started every game would we have more points, we can only summise, he looks the deal scoring goals but does he do the other stuff Bielsa requires as effectively, perhaps he does now he's being coached that way, I don't think anyone wants him gone and in my first post I did say in around about way he would be difficult to replace but we have to trust in what Bielsa does. He's not flawless but the way we've ground a few results out this season that we couldnt do last, shows he's adapted to the difficulty of the Championship, there can be very few managers who look back on a season and not have regrets and given their time again would alter certain things. Bielsa did say Eddie would be starting games and was down to play before his mysterious injury.

Reading Ljungberg's presser, I would saying reading between the lines, if it was his decision he'd recall him but it's not his decision.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

If two players who barely played are recalled, how can that it be a massive blow to us? No doubt we'll slip down the table without those negligible presences to add their minor influences.

To be clear, I rate both Clarke and Nketiah highly but the view that we'll be much worse off losing two players we barely used is contradictory.