Pressure off?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Pressure off?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Anyone else feel like the pressure is off compared to last season?

This time last season people were already talking about promotion, the performance exceeded the expectation of the start of the season and as a result the pressure seemed to pile up. Felt a bit like a once in 15 years opportunity too which didn’t help. But here we are this season, not being talked up quite as much, West Brom leading the pack taking the lime light but yet we are four points up on last season.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Pressure off?

Post by Sara »

For me, the thing that's reducing the pressure is how much more solid we seem; the parcity of goals and chances conceded, and the ability to see out tough games. It doesn't feel like an implosion is coming, and if we keep going like this, we're up.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

SaraM wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:49 pm For me, the thing that's reducing the pressure is how much more solid we seem; the parcity of goals and chances conceded, and the ability to see out tough games. It doesn't feel like an implosion is coming, and if we keep going like this, we're up.

The last gasp victories against Villa and Blackburn were exhilarating but for every high there is the lows of QPR and Wigan. Your right, that solid defence this season and more consistent results means everything feels much more measured this season. Not as exciting but not as anxious either.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

SaraM wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:49 pm For me, the thing that's reducing the pressure is how much more solid we seem; the parcity of goals and chances conceded, and the ability to see out tough games. It doesn't feel like an implosion is coming, and if we keep going like this, we're up.
Agree Sara. Last season I’d have more feared us conceding one, in today’s game, than scoring. We now seem happy to more patient, knowing that chances will come (although we still don’t convert enough of them). Watching today I always thought we’d win in the second half.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:00 pm Agree Sara. Last season I’d have more feared us conceding one, in today’s game, than scoring. We now seem happy to more patient, knowing that chances will come (although we still don’t convert enough of them). Watching today I always thought we’d win in the second half.

Was really edgy ealier in the season about our conversion rate, last 5 weeks or so they have put that at ease. If we go into the latter stages of a game 0-0 I'm confident we can still grab a winner.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Parcity rather than paucity..I'm impressed
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:16 pm Parcity rather than paucity..I'm impressed
Except I originally spelt it with an 's' and had to check the dictionary!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A major difference to last season is not only the defence but Kiko. Too often last season we seemed to concede goals form nothing with either our defence carved wipe open or BPF seemingly unable to deal with long range shots. The defence so far has been much improved but credit has to go to the whole team for that with the likes of Harrison and Bamford especially, defending from the front despite their attacking play sometimes letting them down.

The team is beginning to reward Bielsa's faith in them and that if they kept playing well then at some point they would get rewarded with the goals their play deserved. Too many people try to make changes too quickly but Bielsa knew that the way we were playing was right, the players were good enough and that it was only a matter of time before we started converting a more normal amount of our chances. Whilst Bamford has started scoring again it is more noticeable that we are beginning to start scoring goals from the rest of the team too and that is vital.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I'm not sure if the players are feeling less or more pressure, but I think there is more pressure.

We came close last season and most people would accept that despite the disappointing end to the season that just challenging was fine given that it's been so long since that happened.

However, this season expectation are higher and if the same thing happens there will be more critics.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:43 pm Except I originally spelt it with an 's' and had to check the dictionary!
I actually nodded to myself when I read it ...most people would use paucity, actually most people would use a longer more basic descriptive..I like parcity must use it more
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:52 pm A major difference to last season is not only the defence but Kiko. Too often last season we seemed to concede goals form nothing with either our defence carved wipe open or BPF seemingly unable to deal with long range shots. The defence so far has been much improved but credit has to go to the whole team for that with the likes of Harrison and Bamford especially, defending from the front despite their attacking play sometimes letting them down.

The team is beginning to reward Bielsa's faith in them and that if they kept playing well then at some point they would get rewarded with the goals their play deserved. Too many people try to make changes too quickly but Bielsa knew that the way we were playing was right, the players were good enough and that it was only a matter of time before we started converting a more normal amount of our chances. Whilst Bamford has started scoring again it is more noticeable that we are beginning to start scoring goals from the rest of the team too and that is vital.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:30 pm I actually nodded to myself when I read it ...most people would use paucity, actually most people would use a longer more basic descriptive..I like parcity must use it more
I like the idea of using parcity more...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

But has parcity been used grammatically in Saras' post.

Tricky one.

Parcity basically means frugalty or sparing. So it seems to imply some responsibility on behalf of the person(s) who cause the parcity...ie the teams who try but fail to create chances against us.

As an example. Derby v Leeds. They weren't being frugal - sparing or economical in creating chances against us were they? They were just unable to because we were stronger all over the pitch. So intent was there but not skill.

But they did have a paucity of chances. Think it was only one, which was defo little fir an average 90 mins of football. Looking at our season paucity seems to be a better fit. They try but we stop them.

Now if it was to describe Barndoor strikerate before the Blackburn game...

Parcity gets my vote every time.

Words eh?

But OT.

Pressure. I'm enjoying the feel good factor. Longer it lasts the better.

I am planning to build a faraday cage around my home for April if I cant get the flights to Antarctica booked...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:15 am But has parcity been used grammatically in Saras' post.

Tricky one.

Parcity basically means frugalty or sparing. So it seems to imply some responsibility on behalf of the person(s) who cause the parcity...ie the teams who try but fail to create chances against us.

As an example. Derby v Leeds. They weren't being frugal - sparing or economical in creating chances against us were they? They were just unable to because we were stronger all over the pitch. So intent was there but not skill.

But they did have a paucity of chances. Think it was only one, which was defo little fir an average 90 mins of football. Looking at our season paucity seems to be a better fit. They try but we stop them.

Now if it was to describe Barndoor strikerate before the Blackburn game...

Parcity gets my vote every time.

Words eh?
Well, you could say that we were spared the opposition's attacks due to our superior control of the game, hence parcity.

Paucity, on the other hand, refers to a deficiency or lack, implying a desire for more, which is certainly not the case in this instance.