The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 11th Dec) - With such a big gap at the top, will this effect the chasing packs spending?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 11th Dec) - With such a big gap at the top, will this effect the chasing packs spending?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 11th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Gap widens to 11 points for an automatic place, as the Whites return to the top of the Championship

Leeds moved back to the top of the Championship with two goals in the final 20 minutes sending 35,000 jubilant Leeds fans euphoric in treacherous gale force winds and the pouring rain. The weather was not the factor that had an influence; lady luck was also shining down on Leeds.

The stalemate was broken in the 73rd minute as Ayling led a breakaway down the right flank before feeding Hernandez. The 34yo threaded a pass deep on the right hand side for Costa to latch onto and drive the ball across the penalty area where Leeds players were waiting. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Dutch centre back Jordy De Wijs turned the ball into the back of his own net whilst trying to clear it.

With eight minutes from time, Grant McCann's men must have thought they were leaving LS11 with a share of the spoils. Grosicki delivered an inswinging corner from the right which found the head of Eaves. The 6 ft 3 powerhouse had already started to celebrate when somehow the combination of Bamford and Casilla managed to claw the ball away from danger.

With the Tigers shell shocked that they hadn't scored, Klich led a breakaway. The Polish International sprinted three quarters of the way up the pitch before squaring the ball to Bamford, whose effort smashed on to the post and seemingly away from danger. The ball fell to Alioski, who drilled the ball past Long from the acutist of angles.

Post Match press conference

With an 11 point gap, will the Championship chasers invest heavily in January?

With the gap between the top two in the Championship and the play off places widening to 11 points, will this effect the spending of the fellow Championship promotion hopefuls in the January transfer window?

It has been widely expected that Nottingham Forest and Bristol City in particular are expected to strengthen significantly, but with such a big gap between the play off places and automatic promotion, will they wait until the Summer or go for broke?

What about Fulham? They won't want to lose the likes of Knockaert, Cavaleiro or Mitrovic; but without Premiership football guaranteed for next season, should they fail to go up, their squad could be decimated in the Summer.

Then we have the chasing pack of Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Cardiff and Brentford. We all know what a lottery the play offs are. Twist or stick?

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 11th Dec) - With such a big gap at the top, will this effect the chasing packs spend

Post by Cjay »

G'mornin

Mind the gap.

Its great to have the gap, if us and WBA can keep this a 2 horse race then great. Far as im concerned now any time WBA face anyone in the top 10 i hope they win. But we havent won anything yet and we know what happened last season so will keep feet firmly planted.

January.

WBA, Bristol City, Forest, Fulham, will definitely strengthen (how the hell Forest can but we seemingly cant baffles me).

The best thing Fulham could do is use their owners generosity and get a quality manager, Parker is the biggest liability they have.

WBA will spend, read Diangana may go back to WHU (Harvey Barnes mk2) so they will need to replace him.

Bristol City im thinking will end up with a striker or 2.

We should strengthen, Eze from QPR for me, pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 11th Dec) - With such a big gap at the top, will this effect the chasing packs spend

Post by gessa »

An 11 point gap is excellent, especially when you consider how tight it was at the beginning of November. Don't want to tempt fate but 48 points from the last 75 must be very doable.
Last season at this stage I think we got 10 from the next possible 30, surely we can better that that.

There's not many teams going to add big numbers , does anybody in January? and they inevitably pay over the odds for anyone of note, but 2 quality additions to any squad can make a big difference, we can only wait and see.

Heard the same as CJay about Diangana going back to WH.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:43 am An 11 point gap is excellent, especially when you consider how tight it was at the beginning of November. Don't want to tempt fate but 48 points from the last 75 must be very doable.
Last season at this stage I think we got 10 from the next possible 30, surely we can better that that.

There's not many teams going to add big numbers , does anybody in January? and they inevitably pay over the odds for anyone of note, but 2 quality additions to any squad can make a big difference, we can only wait and see.

Heard the same as CJay about Diangana going back to WH.
16 from the next ten last season

C22. Bolton Wanderers 0 Leeds United 1
C23. Aston Villa 2 Leeds United 3
C24. Leeds United 3 Blackburn 2
C25. Leeds United 0 Hull 2
C26. Nottingham Forest 4 Leeds United 2
C27. Leeds United 2 Derby County 0
C28. Stoke City 2 Leeds United 1
C29. Rotherham 1 v Leeds United 2
C30, Leeds United 1 Norwich 3
C31. Middleborough 1 Leeds United 1
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 pm 16 from the next ten last season

C22. Bolton Wanderers 0 Leeds United 1
C23. Aston Villa 2 Leeds United 3
C24. Leeds United 3 Blackburn 2
C25. Leeds United 0 Hull 2
C26. Nottingham Forest 4 Leeds United 2
C27. Leeds United 2 Derby County 0
C28. Stoke City 2 Leeds United 1
C29. Rotherham 1 v Leeds United 2
C30, Leeds United 1 Norwich 3
C31. Middleborough 1 Leeds United 1
Cheers, I read somewhere it was 10,that will teach me to double check.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Lucky Leeds they are calling us.
Long may it last.
I expect everyone will strengthen.

Apart from us.

MB seems happy with what we have and believes our kiddies can fill in the gaps. If Roberts, Cooper, Forshaw and Shacks weren’t so injury prone he might have a case.

Our biggest challenge will be hanging on to our players when others come waving their cheque books at us.

Douglas can go.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

GK - Casilla - Messlier

RWB - Ayling - Dallas - Berardi - Shackleton - Hernandez - Costa - Gotts
LWB - Alioski - Dallas - Berardi - Douglas - Davis - Harrison
CB - White - Cooper - Berardi - Philips - Struijk - Casey - Ayling- Douglas

DMF - Phillips - Forshaw - White - Dallas - Casey - Struijk - Ayling - McCalmont - Gotts

CMF - Klich - Forshaw - Phillips - Shackleton - Dallas - Hernandez - Roberts - Gotts - Stevens

RW - Costa - Hernandez - Alioski - Shackleton - Stevens

LW - Harrison - Alioski - Costa - Hernandez - Davis

10 - Hernandez - Roberts - Shackleton - Bamford - Forshaw

9 - Bamford - Nketiah - Roberts - Edmondson

Not a lot of room for an expensive signing to come in, I could see a loan if we send Clarke back who I've not included above but adds to that rotation
Maybe 2/3 more U 23's like Bogusz who will come good if needed
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd keep everyone atm...Douglas will do a Harrison/Dallas/Berardi and become quality if he gets a long run and is needed. The key is continuity for us and the ability to morph formations and positions at a seconds notice..We seem to be a team on the field and in the dressing room.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

To get 16 from the next 10 would mean dropping half a point per game compared to our current return, it would also mean we would then be on a par with the likes of Fulham and their pts return per game on average. It would take a massive drop in form for us to sink that low but I seem to remember it has happened to us before

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

48 from 75 is only a slight drop in pts per game compared to our current form which I think is a big ask but is doable. We are very close to our ' favourite part of the season' and we all know what that means. Only time will tell .

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am G'mornin

Mind the gap.

Its great to have the gap, if us and WBA can keep this a 2 horse race then great. Far as im concerned now any time WBA face anyone in the top 10 i hope they win. But we havent won anything yet and we know what happened last season so will keep feet firmly planted.

January.

WBA, Bristol City, Forest, Fulham, will definitely strengthen (how the hell Forest can but we seemingly cant baffles me).

The best thing Fulham could do is use their owners generosity and get a quality manager, Parker is the biggest liability they have.

WBA will spend, read Diangana may go back to WHU (Harvey Barnes mk2) so they will need to replace him.

Bristol City im thinking will end up with a striker or 2.

We should strengthen, Eze from QPR for me, pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.
I think Millwall's Jed Wallace would be a useful addition to our squad. An attacking midfielder/ forward with goals in his locker. A number of Premiership clubs are rumoured to be watching him.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Anyone know how big the gap was between 1/2nd and 3rd last season at its biggest, before our collapse?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Don't remember there being a gap like 11 points last season.

wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

The 3-2 win at home to Blackburn on Boxing Day (match 24) was the last of our 7 straight wins and was followed by defeats to Hull and Forest. After the Blackburn match the gap was still only 6 points to West Brom.

1. Leeds Pts: 51
2. Norwich Pts: 48
3. W Brom Pts: 45

Sheffield U were in 4th on 41 points but pretty much matched or bettered our results in the second half of the season as we stuttered.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am The best thing Fulham could do is use their owners generosity and get a quality manager, Parker is the biggest liability they have.
I've said since the start of the season Parker would be Fulham's achilles heel :P

West Brom's problem last season, probably have been in the prem if Bilic was in charge!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:02 pm Douglas can go.
We may get 300k for him :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 pm Not a lot of room for an expensive signing to come in, I could see a loan if we send Clarke back who I've not included above but adds to that rotation
Maybe 2/3 more U 23's like Bogusz who will come good if needed
There would be if we signed a better player than we already have in the squad
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:01 pm I think Millwall's Jed Wallace would be a useful addition to our squad. An attacking midfielder/ forward with goals in his locker. A number of Premiership clubs are rumoured to be watching him.
Excellent player Chilli, Bielsa's type as he has bags of energy
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 pm To get 16 from the next 10 would mean dropping half a point per game compared to our current return, it would also mean we would then be on a par with the likes of Fulham and their pts return per game on average. It would take a massive drop in form for us to sink that low but I seem to remember it has happened to us before Image

I reckon at least 9 points from our next 4 games
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:29 pm Excellent player Chilli, Bielsa's type as he has bags of energy
Can also seem to squeeze a goal out of nothing, sort of the opposite of Bamford in a sense.