Whisk(e)y

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Whisk(e)y

Post by Irish Ian »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 pm I'm not really a great whiskey drinker, but following a significant birthday last year I ended up with two bottles of Bushmills Malt (one with a personalised label from the distillery as my sister-in-law lives in Bushmills), an Aberfeldy 12 year old and an intriguing bottle of Jameson Black Barrel, which I'd never heard of.

Don't know if you ever came across a novelist called Iain Banks (The Wasp Factory), sadly no longer with us - among many claims to fame, when diagnosed with terminal cancer he invited his long-term girlfriend to do him the honour of becoming his widow. :shock:

He wrote a non-fiction book called Raw Spirit , subtitled "in search of the perfect dram" - a raucous tour round Scotland's far-flung single-malt distilleries. Might be worth a look.

What brought him to mind when I saw this thread, in one of his sci-fi novels, a race of alien overlords in the future will drink only vintage Lagavulin, so his heart clearly belongs to Islay.

Fantastic writer too.
Read the Wasp Factory, but imo by far his best is The Bridge. Read it three or four times over the years, in fact if I can dig it out it willl be my second holiday book.

In fact that will be my
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 pm Glen Moray.png... A tad sweet generally for my taste, but now and again a couple are nice with a good book...average price 26 quid a bottle.

JW 12 year old.png... Right on your budget, and always reliable.

btbscotch_internal_ancnoc12.png...If you feel adventurous and splashing an extra 10 quid ...cant go wrong mate

Enjoy your trip...
The ancnoc is a new one. I just put in an order to masterofmalt.co.uk for some metaxa and tequila I wonder if I can add that to it.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 pm I'm not really a great whiskey drinker, but following a significant birthday last year I ended up with two bottles of Bushmills Malt (one with a personalised label from the distillery as my sister-in-law lives in Bushmills), an Aberfeldy 12 year old and an intriguing bottle of Jameson Black Barrel, which I'd never heard of.

Don't know if you ever came across a novelist called Iain Banks (The Wasp Factory), sadly no longer with us - among many claims to fame, when diagnosed with terminal cancer he invited his long-term girlfriend to do him the honour of becoming his widow. :shock:

He wrote a non-fiction book called Raw Spirit , subtitled "in search of the perfect dram" - a raucous tour round Scotland's far-flung single-malt distilleries. Might be worth a look.

What brought him to mind when I saw this thread, in one of his sci-fi novels, a race of alien overlords in the future will drink only vintage Lagavulin, so his heart clearly belongs to Islay.

Fantastic writer too.
Jameson Black Barrel is very nice indeed Dave, tbh though the standard Jameson is very nice too, as good as a lot of the lower end Scottish malts imo.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Carrick Dave wrote...
an intriguing bottle of Jameson Black Barrel,
Not a Jameson fan at all really... my absolute favourite Irish by far is Powers (Gold) reasonable price to
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:20 pm Jameson Black Barrel is very nice indeed Dave, tbh though the standard Jameson is very nice too, as good as a lot of the lower end Scottish malts imo.
I enjoy both mate :tumbler:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:25 pm Not a Jameson fan at all really... my absolute favourite Irish by far is Powers (Gold) reasonable price to
Sexton is a very nice Irish.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm Sexton is a very nice Irish.
:tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm Sexton is a very nice Irish.
Never tried Sexton or Power Gold :(
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Never heard of Sexton until today.
'
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 pm Never tried Sexton or Power Gold :(
Never tried the Powers either.
The Sexton is very like the Redbrest 12 yr old, if youve tried that but a tenner a bottle cheaper. They're distilled in Copper pots not wooden barrels
gessa

Post by gessa »

Off to do some walking on Arran and Jura in a few weeks time, lockdown permitting, hopefully get some tastings in.

Arran 10 yr old, non chill filtered is another goodie, around the £35 mark.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:50 pm Off to do some walking on Arran and Jura in a few weeks time, lockdown permitting, hopefully get some tastings in.

Arran 10 yr old, non chill filtered is another goodie, around the £35 mark.
All the Arran malts are superb IMO Gessa... was fortunate to have been given this for one of my 65th birthday presents last year..(still have a half bottle left :-D )
Arran 21 yr old.jpg
gessa

Post by gessa »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:02 pm All the Arran malts are superb IMO Gessa... was fortunate to have been given this for one of my 65th birthday presents last year..(still have a half bottle left :-D )

Arran 21 yr old.jpg
Very nice.

I have a limited edition 10 yr old, only 750 bottles made, only sold in a whisky bar in Edinburgh, the more they sell, the rarer it becomes :)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:16 pm Read the Wasp Factory, but imo by far his best is The Bridge.
The Bridge is excellent, my favourite too. I also love Walking on Glass & Espedair Street ( for the music lovers) from his early stuff, and Whit and The Crow Road later on.

His Culture sci-fi novels were ground-breaking in their day.

Loved that he stayed true to his roots, same town same pub, even when globally successful.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 pm The Bridge is excellent, my favourite too. I also love Walking on Glass & Espedair Street ( for the music lovers) from his early stuff, and Whit and The Crow Road later on.

His Culture sci-fi novels were ground-breaking in their day.

Loved that he stayed true to his roots, same town same pub, even when globally successful.
Sh yes Espedair Street, I had forgotten about that one.

Most of his stuff was set sround Edinburgh if I recall.

I never dabbled with his Sci Fi, what would you reccomend as a starter?
'
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:23 pm Sh yes Espedair Street, I had forgotten about that one.

Most of his stuff was set sround Edinburgh if I recall.

I never dabbled with his Sci Fi, what would you reccomend as a starter?
Consider Phlebus was first, but his second The Player of Games was great. Feersum Endjinn, Use of Weapons, Against a Dark Background all good, avoid Excession. While not sequential, concepts migrate from one book to another so reading them in order would make sense.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

The 17-year-old Bowmore has been my favorite for many, many years
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:13 am The 17-year-old Bowmore has been my favorite for many, many years
Lovely smooth tipple John :tumbler:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I organized Burns suppers for many years when I was working in the UK and we always had a large selection of scotch whiskys.As opposed to Irish whiskeys which are triple distilled scotch whiskys are only double distilled and are often rather rough and harsh. We always had to have a smooth scotch whisky for the ladies, and the whiskey of choice was Bunnahabhain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Bunnaha ... f_=ast_bln

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 am I organized Burns suppers for many years when I was working in the UK and we always had a large selection of scotch whiskys.As opposed to Irish whiskeys which are triple distilled scotch whiskys are only double distilled and are often rather rough and harsh. We always had to have a smooth scotch whisky for the ladies, and the whiskey of choice was Bunnahabhain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Bunnaha ... f_=ast_bln

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I don't ever think I have been on a tour of an Irish distillery when they haven't banged in about the "ours is triple distilled" as if the idea just never occurred to the Scots :roflmao:

That 25yo looks nice, I might get two.
'