Whisk(e)y

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Whisk(e)y

Post by Irish Ian »

Hi Folks

So this weekend my missus and a few friends head off for our annual Winter hire a cottage in the wilds of Ireland get away from it all hibernation.

Last time I had very limited tinternet so it was seriously taxing following the Villa and Blackburn games, this time it is Fulham and Preston I will be trying to follow while being in the middle of nowhere. ( Actually away out west in Mayo, and officially designated Dark Sky area , so stargazing is fun)

But I digress.

The whole experience isn't complete without the turf or log fire ( sorted already) and a drop of the good stuff in your hand.

So whats your favourite whiskey?

Smooth?
Peaty?
Smokey?
Fruity?
Mixer or neat? Water?
Cocktail ideas
Single Malt?
Blend?
Scotch?
Irish?
Welsh ( I do not jest)
Japanese?
Bourbon
Whiskey Liquer?
Honeyed?

Generally I go like a nice Single Malt on the peaty side, Talisker, Ardmore, laphroaig,Highland Park for the cold dark nights somethimg which warms up with the glass and releases all those warming aromas.

But any thoughts on what you like or what I might try and pick up for a change?

Nothing too pricey , £30 limit ( which is plenty at this time of years)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Whisk(e)y

Post by whiteswan »

'Cardhu Gold Reserve' single malt is a beauty Ian. ( The mother in law has got me one for Christmas) on offer at Asda at £25.00. Also 'Aberfeldy Highland' another lovely malt is on offer at Asda at £25.00. gessa is a bit of a malt expert.....hopefully he might come up with something special as well....
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

It is Irish Whiskey spelled with an ''e" and Scottish whisky without the "e"

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:14 pm It is Irish Whiskey spelled with an ''e" and Scottish whisky without the "e"

I know I was doing my best to be cross community :P
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm 'Cardhu Gold Reserve' single malt is a beauty Ian. ( The mother in law has got me one for Christmas) on offer at Asda at £25.00. Also 'Aberfeldy Highland' another lovely malt is on offer at Asda at £25.00. gessa is a bit of a malt expert.....hopefully he might come up with something special as well....
Yes I have tried the Cardhu Gold swannie.. I took a bottle away last summer, I think it didn't last too long, beautiful stuff. :whistle:
'
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Irish Whiskey is very often triple distilled which makes it smoother and easier to drink... a drink for the ladies... whereas Scottish whisky is much rougher and has more character since it is only double distilled.

A whisky for the ladies is Bunnahabhain but still has enough character that it can still grace the palate of a gentleman.

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:06 pm Generally I go like a nice Single Malt on the peaty side, Talisker, Ardmore, laphroaig,Highland Park for the cold dark nights somethimg which warms up with the glass and releases all those warming aromas.
Likewise Talisker tends to be the tipple of choice, though do have a bottle of 10 year old Macallan Fine Oak in the house at the moment.
hector

Post by hector »

I knew Duckie would be one of the first to respond on this thread...........

Hmmm wonder why? :mrgreen:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I read somewhere that during the prohibition era in America the customs could not believe Laphroaig was a whisky since it tasted like a medicine.

The reason being that kelp seaweed with lots of iodine in it was used when they were roasting the malt and that found its way into the whisky giving it a medicinal flavour.

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:41 pm I read somewhere that during the prohibition era in America the customs could not believe Laphroaig was a whisky since it tasted like a medicine.

The reason being that kelp seaweed with lots of iodine in it was used when they were roasting the malt and that found its way into the whisky giving it a medicinal flavour.

Interesting rab. I love Lafroaigh. I think it's a bit like marmite.....you either love it or hate it :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm 'Cardhu Gold Reserve' single malt is a beauty Ian. ( The mother in law has got me one for Christmas) on offer at Asda at £25.00. Also 'Aberfeldy Highland' another lovely malt is on offer at Asda at £25.00. gessa is a bit of a malt expert.....hopefully he might come up with something special as well....
Not sure expert is correct but I do like to sample a few now and again.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:25 pm I knew Duckie would be one of the first to respond on this thread...........

Hmmm wonder why? :mrgreen:
I knew...just knew that you would appear on this thread looking to tease Duckie :x

QWhack! :cricket:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'm struggling with the £30 limit, but these are my thoughts, and all are suitable for ladies and gentleman alike.

I'm an Ardbeg girl, and Uigeadail is my favourite. It's sherry cask conditioned for extra body and warmth. The Corryvreckan is also cask strength, and more traditional; like a turbo charged 10 Yr Old... which is also more than acceptable. If you ever get the chance to try their Grooves, go for it; more flavours than you can count, but limited edition and about £100, I think.

I also really like Lagavulin. The 16 Yr Old is fine, but the 24 is another level.

Of the younger Islays, Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie is worth a go, and I also like the Port Charlotte.

For Speysides, I like Glenfarclas. The 15 is good, but I prefer the cask strength 105 because it melts your face.

Another good cask strength is Aberlour A'Bunadh. Have a sip of that and then eat a scampi fry dipped in mustard; your taste buds will never be the same again.

I also rate Benromach, and am looking forward to trying the Anniversary Edition.

As for Japanese whisky, our local landlord has a bottle that he just can't sell, so we get plied with it after hours. It's absolute filth, and not in a good way.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I've tried a few and there's not many I don't like, not overly keen on the lowland malts, although there aren't that many. I'd say my least favourite that I remember was the Loch Lomond original single malt.

Favourites atm are.

Rye - Gentleman Jack.

Peat - Lagavulin 16 yr old, peat whisky is something I only drink on the odd occasion but I do like a good one.

Single malt- Oban 14 yr old
but really enjoying a 12 yr old Aberfeldy I have, infact just ordered another one.

Irish - Jameson Black Barrel blended. Irish blended are as smooth as a lot of Scottish malts.

Pot Stilled - Redbreast 12 yr old. Just ordered another one of these too.

Always have a malt just before bedtime on Christmas Eve, bit of a tradition for the last 25yrs or so.

Think my favourite though is Tomintoul 15 yr old portwood

I'm partial to a nice cognac also.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Was violently sick after drinking Whisky, when 16yrs old on a holiday in Portugal.

Haven't touched the stuff since (39yrs) and the smell of it still makes me heave.

Sorry Ian, that didn't really answer your ? did it :sick: :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Sorry missed the £30 limit.

So 5 I'd recommend under that price.

Aberfeldy 12 yr old
Glenrothes 10 yr old
Highland Park 12 yr old
Any of the Jameson's.
The best bargain for me is Glen Marnoch Islay single malt, £17.49 from Aldi. Pretty peaty.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Just reminded me ges, Asda have Highland Park on at £25 as well....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:34 pm I'm struggling with the £30 limit, but these are my thoughts, and all are suitable for ladies and gentleman alike.

I'm an Ardbeg girl, and Uigeadail is my favourite. It's sherry cask conditioned for extra body and warmth. The Corryvreckan is also cask strength, and more traditional; like a turbo charged 10 Yr Old... which is also more than acceptable. If you ever get the chance to try their Grooves, go for it; more flavours than you can count, but limited edition and about £100, I think.

I also really like Lagavulin. The 16 Yr Old is fine, but the 24 is another level.

Of the younger Islays, Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie is worth a go, and I also like the Port Charlotte.

For Speysides, I like Glenfarclas. The 15 is good, but I prefer the cask strength 105 because it melts your face.

Another good cask strength is Aberlour A'Bunadh. Have a sip of that and then eat a scampi fry dipped in mustard; your taste buds will never be the same again.

I also rate Benromach, and am looking forward to trying the Anniversary Edition.

As for Japanese whisky, our local landlord has a bottle that he just can't sell, so we get plied with it after hours. It's absolute filth, and not in a good way.
I must try some of those Sara

We once bought a bottle of Japanese malt, can't remember its name but it was delicious :tumbler: :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm I must try some of those Sara

We once bought a bottle of Japanese malt, can't remember its name but it was delicious :tumbler: :)
Maybe we're just unlucky with our Japanese paint stripper then!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Has anyone tried Penderyn? Welsh. Our Asda had it on offer once and I picked up a couple of bottles. No one seemed to go for it so they never brought it back again.
'