January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion-No More signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 pm We just have to think back to the squad that Colin put together to see a perfect mish mash of players with no team spirit.....
This season's example for me is Stoke. Rowett spent £50 million to add to their premier league squad. Then Nathan Jones added a further dozen players.

Read their forum. All the complaints are of a toxic atmosphere fuelled by the conflicting egos of unused players, and a wage bill that is likely to hold them back for years to come. They've picked up a bit now under O'Neill, but the results of their big spending policy are plain to see.

Nobody gets anywhere without a cohesive plan and a style, and building a squad to suit it. We have that with Bielsa - a piece of recruitment in itself that is the envy of clubs like Manure.

Whilst Bielsa is here, I trust his vision in building the squad he wants, and in improving the players we already have. If he wasn't satisfied with the club's efforts to meet his demands, he would have walked by now.

Frustrating as it is, we don't have an automatic right to get the players we want, anymore than we do to win every game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Everton and Arsenal were two teams that for a fairly long period didn't invest in the club..player wise, I recall an Arsenal fan moaning they hadn't signed anyone for 2/3 seasons at one point..Everton couldn't afford to
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

I cant help think our system doesn't suit out and out goal scorers. Look at Eddie everyone calling out for him to start games when he did he wasn't nearly as effective as Bamford up top on his own.

I still think Gayle would be a great addition to any Championship squad. I'm just not sure that again he suits our style. Adam seems to fit the mold more, I think with Adams physicality and presence suit our style better than Gayle would. Just need to decide who and at what price you wanna go for???

Assuming Adams is much Cheaper than Gayle in terms of both fee and wages so that's a no brainer.

Gayle would get bags more goals than Adams tho, but that just my opinion and who am I to question MB. Ha

Which ever way you look at it, we need to get 2 players in if we are going to give this season one last big push for the Prem. I'd rather we took our time got the right player for the right money instead of hitting the self destruct button and panic buying. Just come on and hurry up already will ya!!!!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm 3 of the 4 sold were incoming purchases.
Only one of those purchases are better than the ones we brought in & the White/Jansson one I'm referring to is debatable. Both have special but different qualities especially with the nature of the championship.

I still believe bringing in White for Cooper would have been a more appropriate CB change for Leeds.

Cooper is a bench CB for me, he hasn't got the same qualities of the above two
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 pm Only one of those purchases are better than the ones we brought in & the White/Jansson one I'm referring to is debatable. Both have special but different qualities especially with the nature of the championship.

I still believe bringing in White for Cooper would have been a more appropriate CB change for Leeds.

Cooper is a bench CB for me, he hasn't got the same qualities of the above two
I agree White Jansson pairing could have been brilliant but up to the Cardiff game, we couldn't fault the defence, the problem there is the LB not the centre pairing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm So you're saying we won't have to pay for Costa..well that is good news
I would like to think so but I believe we've already agreed a fee.

We've become a HP club, loan now pay the higher price later!
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

It is so very hard not to get caught up in Leeds Groundhog day
You know when you have to relive the same experience over and over
again and again. The January transfer window is a case in question.

We throw the rune bones and and Odin's Rune comes up.
Odin's rune stands for the unknowable. (Will we get Che Adams... I say no)
Its representation is that which is not yet ready to be revealed. (But Orta has
already said that we will not be doing much business in January)
Odin's rune can fill you with hope. (Freeman, Woodward, Poveda, Gray, and Mor)
Odin's rune reminds you that your future is made from the actions of your own hands.
( More like the interminable twiddling of your thumbs)

We hope against hope that this time it will be different, We will get in players that
will make a difference to our season, Players who can fit into Bielsa's system
and hit the ground running. Players who will invigorate the team, players who
can halt the slump. It is what the fans want. It is what Bielsa wants, and I have
no doubt it is what the management wants as well, but it almost feels like there
is a deadening inertia that saps the will and strength out of every negotiation
Stones thrown in our pathway at every turn, blocking our way forward.
We may have all the good will in the world but the events seem to conspire against us
so we can't do the things we want to get done... or is it just bad management or scouting

From Bielsa's spygate presentation it was obvious he had done lots of research on Dan James,
and I have to believe that he has been no less methodical in trying to get players of a similar
calibre durning this transfer window. He is also a man who has vast amounts of contacts
in the footballing world, so surely it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could
line up someone to fulfill his needs. For most fans the unthinkable thing is that he is
happy and content with what he has (no backup striker, no tall centre back, no one
to fill in for the injured mid field, no experienced goal keeper to stand in if Kiko gets banned,
Oh and let's not forget the small squad and burnout... we as fans are so great at stating the obvious)

There are so many ways to try and tell the future, from tarot cards, to fortune cookies,
and the Greek Oracle when predicting the future spoke in riddles just to give you hope
Her favourite phrases were "Irons in the fire" and "Don't go to sleep just yet"
Phrases calculated to give you hope and belief but evaporates like a meaningless
vapour. My crystal ball says this transfer window will be a none event, and I further
predict that it will infuriate the fans no end.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm I would like to think so but I believe we've already agreed a fee.

We've become a HP club, loan now pay the higher price later!
So we have in effect spent 15M since Bamford. What tends to happen to people who put everything on buy now pay later who continue to spend money because they have a whole year to pay?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 pm I agree White Jansson pairing could have been brilliant but up to the Cardiff game, we couldn't fault the defence, the problem there is the LB not the centre pairing.
We were bulled at Hillsborough by that Nuhiu fella & Fletcher, we had to bring on a 3rd CB in Cooper to combat their physical challenge so the writing was on the wall even then. Sadly one of Wednesday's five strikers Nuhiu came back to haunt us last Saturday.

Still believe our defence has weakened since Dallas was omitted from his full-back role, now we have the blonde bombshell or Douglas as leading contender for the LB spot expect us to continue leaking goals :(
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote: So we have in effect spent 15M since Bamford. What tends to happen to people who put everything on buy now pay later who continue to spend money because they have a whole year to pay?
And sold over 30 mil last summer .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sky Sports just doubling down.

Che Adams is NOT leaving Southampton.

I have to ask, what made us think we could get Che Adams?

Had the same feeling about Vydra.

Neither made any sense.

Sometimes i think our board live in dream land tbh and talk crap.

Southampton have been adamant publicly Adams isnt going for the entire window.

Vydra was never going to leave playoff placed Derby at the time for midtable Leeds at the time without a significant wage increase (which we werent offering).

Are we deluded? Arrogant?

Be really annoyed if we piss away this window chasing players we have no hope of getting and end up with some crap no hoper.

Our organisation is piss poor.

Orta apparently used soms sort of analytical thing to find targets and presented them to Bielsa to pick, Bielsa wanted Adams most of all.

Surely to god BEFORE going to Bielsa, Orta spoke to Southampton first to check whether a deal was possible?

Otherwise thats even more incompetent and why offer Bielsa players he cant have? Will we be calling PSG about Cavani next ffs?
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm So we have in effect spent 15M since Bamford. What tends to happen to people who put everything on buy now pay later who continue to spend money because they have a whole year to pay?
Glad you are happy with the situation mate

I don't believe in purchases on tick in real life so maybe I struggle to comprehend loan signings
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 pm And sold over 30 mil last summer .

I'm only seeing about 25/26 and some of that won't be instant cash either but in conditions I'd expect..So of the remaining 10 ish (if we're lucky) we paid 3 M for Nketiah loan, I'd imagine around a million for Jack so far at least. Ditto White and we're down to 5M at best. The club runs at a loss most seasons too, most teams down here do and we haven't had premiership prize money or any sniff of parachute payments to help out either like a few of our rivals

We've also been bankrupt in our recent history ....
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 pm It is so very hard not to get caught up in Leeds Groundhog day
You know when you have to relive the same experience over and over
again and again. The January transfer window is a case in question.

We throw the rune bones and and Odin's Rune comes up.
Odin's rune stands for the unknowable. (Will we get Che Adams... I say no)
Its representation is that which is not yet ready to be revealed. (But Orta has
already said that we will not be doing much business in January)
Odin's rune can fill you with hope. (Freeman, Woodward, Poveda, Gray, and Mor)
Odin's rune reminds you that your future is made from the actions of your own hands.
( More like the interminable twiddling of your thumbs)

We hope against hope that this time it will be different, We will get in players that
will make a difference to our season, Players who can fit into Bielsa's system
and hit the ground running. Players who will invigorate the team, players who
can halt the slump. It is what the fans want. It is what Bielsa wants, and I have
no doubt it is what the management wants as well, but it almost feels like there
is a deadening inertia that saps the will and strength out of every negotiation
Stones thrown in our pathway at every turn, blocking our way forward.
We may have all the good will in the world but the events seem to conspire against us
so we can't do the things we want to get done... or is it just bad management or scouting

From Bielsa's spygate presentation it was obvious he had done lots of research on Dan James,
and I have to believe that he has been no less methodical in trying to get players of a similar
calibre durning this transfer window. He is also a man who has vast amounts of contacts
in the footballing world, so surely it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could
line up someone to fulfill his needs. For most fans the unthinkable thing is that he is
happy and content with what he has (no backup striker, no tall centre back, no one
to fill in for the injured mid field, no experienced goal keeper to stand in if Kiko gets banned,
Oh and let's not forget the small squad and burnout... we as fans are so great at stating the obvious)

There are so many ways to try and tell the future, from tarot cards, to fortune cookies,
and the Greek Oracle when predicting the future spoke in riddles just to give you hope
Her favourite phrases were "Irons in the fire" and "Don't go to sleep just yet"
Phrases calculated to give you hope and belief but evaporates like a meaningless
vapour. My crystal ball says this transfer window will be a none event, and I further
predict that it will infuriate the fans no end.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.
Just drawn a rune for this transfer window, and ultimately its effect on the rest of our season:

Dagaz - we're going up!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 pm Glad you are happy with the situation mate

I don't believe in purchases on tick in real life so maybe I struggle to comprehend loan signings
In general I am, Rads has done a cracking job up to now. we finished third last season in a new managers first season and as a rule foreign managers don't do well season 1. Orta sources some very nice kids, probably the best recruitment programme in our history. Bielsa has us going nicely in the league

My main issue is with Bamford but everyone knows that and why so no need to keep playing that broken record and if he's MB's guy then I'll keep hoping for the best.

I'd love to get Che but no one has mentioned any other name as a viable alternative so I won't panic if no one comes in. (Someone will arrive at some point, but it could be a player MB will convert) Next man up if Paddy gets injured.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My 11 currently is in my sig for everyone to see and it's predicated on anyone but Bamford up front. Klich would be my captain for this armchair managers team
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

If we paid 3m for the nketiah season loan surely we'd get some of it back if when they recalled him early?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:12 pm In general I am, Rads has done a cracking job up to now. we finished third last season in a new managers first season and as a rule foreign managers don't do well season 1. Orta sources some very nice kids, probably the best recruitment programme in our history. Bielsa has us going nicely in the league
Has Radz done a cracking job though?

From what I can see his business plan is on the brink of failing and leaving us in a mess.

Radz got Orta in on the basis that Orta is meant to be able to find gems cheaply who will be sold at a profit to help run and fund the club, that hasn't happened.

None of the kids Orta has found have done that, the ones who have properly broken through were all here before Radz and before Orta, Clarke, Shacks even Gotts.

Not one signing Orta has found has been sold for good money, Vieira, Roofe, Jansson, all here before.

The money the club have wasted is astronomical, Nketiah, Brown, Baker, De Bock, Cibicki, Grot, Anita, Ideguchi, Ekuban, Blackman, Wiedwald, Bouy, Gomes, Lassie, Halme, Pennington, Borthwick- Jackson, the list goes on and on of players who we lost money on.

Even Saiz we sold at a loss.

The wage bill has gone through the roof, the club is close to ffp limit despite Radz officially having the lowest net spend of any Chairmen in recent memory (and refusing to put money in to allow us to raise the ffp limit), that doesn't sound like a well run club to me.

The club have currently got 3 key players who were here before Radz and Orta that they haven't replaced.
Roofe- not replaced
Vieira- not replaced
Jansson - not replaced (Ben White is a loan, we don't own him so he cant count as an actual replacement for an asset imo)

If the club isn't promoted the club will still have a far higher wage bill then before, less assets then they had before Radz arrived and seemingly no money to buy more partly because the club have wasted so much money (something radz himself has admitted).

The best thing Radz has done is get in Bielsa, 100% credit for that.

But we don't seem to be a well run club if we need to bring in £30mil to survive.
We don't have many assets left because we now run a buy to loan policy
We have lost a lot of money and so far not one of the pet projects of Orta has paid off to help us bring some money in.

radz gets a lot of credit for MB but imo people are ignoring the absolute mess we could be in at the end of the season.

Very few assets left, a massive wage bill and a squad that will be beyond paper thin.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm If we paid 3m for the nketiah season loan surely we'd get some of it back if when they recalled him early?
apparently not .
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rrfierce wrote:If we paid 3m for the nketiah season loan surely we'd get some of it back if when they recalled him early?
I think the initial figure was 4 k but only 3 after going back early.