'Looking for Elizabeth'

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

'Looking for Elizabeth'

Post by whiteswan »

Did anyone watch this truly amazing drama starring the wonderful Glenda Jackson?
gessa

Re: 'Looking for Elizabeth'

Post by gessa »

No
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

No and not a fan of her anyway :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Great book told with a lot of humour by Emma Healey.(Probably the most original whodunnit since The Curious Incident by Mark Haddon) didn't see that on the clips and Jackson looks like she's overacting but have it recorded and will take a look.. I'd suggest you read the book. Did the peaches thing come up?
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

No
Maybe you imagined it Duckie.... You know, after all your "sampling" ;-)

:mrgreen:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Yes, I watched it, but I was surprised to see that Glenda Jackson had been replaced by Sir Ian McKellen ! It was pretty good, and Glenda put in a marvelous performance as a woman with dementia. However, I couldn't enjoy it fully, as I am probably too near the dementia phase, myself.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 pm Yes, I watched it, but I was surprised to see that Glenda Jackson had been replaced by Sir Ian McKellen ! It was pretty good, and Glenda put in a marvelous performance as a woman with dementia. However, I couldn't enjoy it fully, as I am probably too near the dementia phase, myself.
Mum has it, vascular dementia, which is getting very stressful to manage on top of her heart failure and full body arthritis. Her dementia can be traced back to a operation mishap 15 yrs ago when after having a valve replaced they sowed into her AV node while closing.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm Mum has it, vascular dementia, which is getting very stressful to manage on top of her heart failure and full body arthritis. Her dementia can be traced back to a operation mishap 15 yrs ago when after having a valve replaced they sowed into her AV node while closing.
I'm sorry to hear that. It must be very distressing for you and your family.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very stressful and cheers. We've spent hours in waiting rooms and A&E in the last 6 months..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm Mum has it, vascular dementia, which is getting very stressful to manage on top of her heart failure and full body arthritis. Her dementia can be traced back to a operation mishap 15 yrs ago when after having a valve replaced they sowed into her AV node while closing.
Sorry to hear that Faaip, a horrible distressing illness for you & all your family
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:39 pm Very stressful and cheers. We've spent hours in waiting rooms and A&E in the last 6 months..
Not great :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cheers
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

My mother in law had it until she passed away in May this year.
For the last 18 months of her life she didn't know who my wife was or any of us for that matter which was very upsetting for my wife and kids especially.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Chilli D wrote: My mother in law had it until she passed away in May this year.
For the last 18 months of her life she didn't know who my wife was or any of us for that matter which was very upsetting for my wife and kids especially.
I can relate to that Chilli. My mother has it and isn't sure who i am at all. She seems to remember my wife more than me strangely but my dad is referred to as 'that man'. Its upsetting but feeling helpless is heartbreaking. She started going to wolves games as a kid in the late 40's right through to the mid/late 60's and saw all those big european matches when they were right up there with the elite. She recalls those games like yesterday which is good because it keeps her happy in her own little world now. Horrible disease though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:50 pm Great book told with a lot of humour by Emma Healey.(Probably the most original whodunnit since The Curious Incident by Mark Haddon) didn't see that on the clips and Jackson looks like she's overacting but have it recorded and will take a look.. I'd suggest you read the book. Did the peaches thing come up?
Yes faaip, the peaches thing came up.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

So sorry to hear that faaip. That's awful, and to come from an operation mishap....terrible.

The drama took me into a world I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with. It wasn't just Jackson's role, but what the family had to deal with it and how they dealt with it. The acting from everyone I thought was outstanding, and moved me to tears. From the gentleness, to the despair. From the emotions to the sometimes
controlled anger.....I really felt something :cry:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:18 am My mother in law had it until she passed away in May this year.
Sorry to hear that Chilli :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:50 pm I can relate to that Chilli. My mother has it and isn't sure who i am at all. She seems to remember my wife more than me strangely but my dad is referred to as 'that man'. Its upsetting but feeling helpless is heartbreaking. She started going to wolves games as a kid in the late 40's right through to the mid/late 60's and saw all those big european matches when they were right up there with the elite. She recalls those games like yesterday which is good because it keeps her happy in her own little world now. Horrible disease though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Yes, horrible BG. As I say, I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with it, but watching the film took me into that world and it was frightening....
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:29 pm Sorry to hear that Chilli :(
Thanks Swannie
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden