Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Nketiah Starts, Bamford Out!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Nketiah Starts, Bamford Out!

Post by Ellandback1 »

Birmingham City v Leeds Utd

Sunday 29th December 2019 15.00 | St Andrews

Having collected just two points from an available nine, Leeds travel down to the Midlands to St Andrews hoping to extend the eight point gap between second and the chasing pack. The Whites will be without Hernandez and Forshaw, and whilst Shackleton and Roberts have both recovered from their respective injuries, but are not yet match fit. Jack Clarke has returned to his parent club Spurs. I'm sure he'll come back to haunt us towards the latter end of the season. The word coming from associates of Nketiah, is that North London beckons, and we may have seen the end to the 20 year old hitman.

Second place Leeds are 19 points, and 14 places higher than the Blues, and have a better goal difference by 31, yet St Andrews continuous to be bogey side to the Whites. Blues gaffer Pep Clotet, alongside coaching staff Darryl Flahavan and James Beattie all enjoyed success at Elland Road under the supervision of Garry Monk. How will they fare when they come up against Bielsa? Birmingham are having their own bad spell with just one point from their last four games, that came in a 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day.

Last time the teams met Leeds came away with a 1-0 win thanks to Kalvin Phillips in their centenary game. Last season Birmingham were a bit of a bogey team for Leeds, with the Blues taking all the points thanks to a 2-1 victory at Elland Road and a 1-0 victory at St Andrews. The Blues have a a few injury issues with defender Jake Clarke-Salter is expected to be missing having dislocated his shoulder against Reading. Fellow defender Marc Roberts is also out with an ankle injury. Midifelder Maikel Kieftenbeld will return to training after Christmas having pikced up a knee injury in last Aprils fixture against Leeds but it will not be soon enough to feature this Sunday.

Leeds are without a clean sheet in each of their last 11 away league visits to Birmingham, conceding exactly one goal in each of their last nine such games there. Birmingham are winless in their last four home games in the Championship (D1 L3), suffering defeats in each of the last two. They last suffered three consecutive home defeats in the competition in March 2018. Leeds have won 11 league games away from home in 2019 - their most in a calendar year since 2009 when they were in League One.

Referee Watch - Keith Stroud

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse, referee for Birmingham on Sunday will be "fans favourite" Keith Stroud. The Luton fan has refereed 28 Leeds games, W13 D6 L9 - Y54 R2 R(×2Y)2. We've won all 3 of the games he's reffed this season: Salford, Barnsley(A), Boro(H). He has refereed 18 Birmingham games to date; W5 D7 L6.

He's well known for not giving us a penalties; last season's away loss to Brentford and against Salford in the cup this season when Harrison was blatantly pulled back by his shirt. Interestingly, Stroud was a Premier League ref for only two seasons before demotion again in 2009/10.

Referee information from Jo Bedford (@El_Loco_JoJo)

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Ayling, White, Cooper, Alioski, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa, Nketiah

Subs: Meslier, Casey, Douglas, Berardi, Gotts, Stevens, Roberts
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB

It’s a must win simple as
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 am Morning EB

It’s a must win simple as
Accuse me of not being adventurous but I would take two points from the next two matches.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I'd take 2 as well ...but can only see 1 maximum

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:03 pm Accuse me of not being adventurous but I would take two points from the next two matches.
Hi Ian don’t disagree two draws wouldn’t be a bad result but I’d rather we beat Brum then go into the next game feeling positive then a draw there would be an excellent result :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Our next two are both winnable matches, firstly Birmingham are very hit and miss at home and although we were beaten there last season I see no reason why we can’t dust ourselves down from the last 3 games and get back to winning ways. Then onto WBA full of confidence. They will be aware that we are the only team to have beaten them so far and at home they’ve drawn 5 but they’re not going to go all season without a home defeat so I can see a minimum 4 points with every chance of 6 from our next 2
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Again, take our good chances and we are comfortable winners. The only reason we on here are not saying 2-0 3-0 or similar is because we don't possess anyone who can score 1 in 3-4 chances . If we had a Grabban or Maupey or Adams or Watkins for example we'd be up by now !

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Referee Watch - Keith Stroud

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse, referee for Birmingham on Sunday will be "fans favourite" Keith Stroud. The Luton fan has refereed 28 Leeds games, W13 D6 L9 - Y54 R2 R(×2Y)2. We've won all 3 of the games he's reffed this season: Salford, Barnsley(A), Boro(H). He has refereed 18 Birmingham games to date; W5 D7 L6.

He's well known for not giving us a penalties; last season's away loss to Brentford and against Salford in the cup this season when Harrison was blatantly pulled back by his shirt. Interestingly, Stroud was a Premier League ref for only two seasons before demotion again in 2009/10.

Referee information from Jo Bedford (@El_Loco_JoJo)
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I think that Eddie deserves a runout after his performance last night. Bamford to be allowed a rest after his strenuous efforts this season.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Gandalf wrote:I think that Eddie deserves a runout after his performance last night. Bamford to be allowed a rest after his strenuous efforts this season.
Totally agree. Blues will have prepared to face PB so let's surprise them and start Eddie...put them on the back foot from the off. Let's show other teams that there's more than 1 bow to our arrow and be less predictable, I'm sure our own players would welcome it as well.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:53 pm Our next two are both winnable matches, firstly Birmingham are very hit and miss at home and although we were beaten there last season I see no reason why we can’t dust ourselves down from the last 3 games and get back to winning ways. Then onto WBA full of confidence. They will be aware that we are the only team to have beaten them so far and at home they’ve drawn 5 but they’re not going to go all season without a home defeat so I can see a minimum 4 points with every chance of 6 from our next 2
4 points would be excellent Rich :tup:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

After WBA only managing a draw last time out and when they have won games at the death
through dubious penalties I think we can handle them. They are not exactly inspiring confidence
even though they are top of the league, and they are not scoring many goals. In the last four games
three 1-1 draws against Wigan Brentford and Barnsley, and a fortuitous 3-2 win against Brum
I would say if we are on song we have nothing to fear.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:13 pm After WBA only managing a draw last time out and when they have won games at the death
through dubious penalties I think we can handle them. They are not exactly inspiring confidence
even though they are top of the league, and they are not scoring many goals. In the last four games
three 1-1 draws against Wigan Brentford and Barnsley, and a fortuitous 3-2 win against Brum
I would say if we are on song we have nothing to fear.
The baggies are top by default imo!

West Brom have had two dodgy penalties that gained them four points, we've had two soft penalties given against us at Millwall & Fulham that probably cost us points!
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

..... And Leeds United ought to be on top mate probably 3 points clear of the baggies.
Looking at those season to date we really should have 5 or 6 points more than we do but..Hey ho!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

paddy parrott wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:52 pm ..... And Leeds United ought to be on top mate probably 3 points clear of the baggies.
Looking at those season to date we really should have 5 or 6 points more than we do but..Hey ho!
Add the points we threw away against Swansea, Forest & Derby we'd have the championship wrapped up by now
jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

Leeds are a big scalp, and also the team to beat. I cannot see us responding to what will envitably be alot of pressure on our defense from KO. We have no alternative gameplay except to continue to play it slowly and nervously out of defense. Maybe if we can get an early goal we might win but I am going for a 2 2 draw. With Pablo's continued absence and after the last game will Beilsa make a change? I think not,

Like most games I wonder to myself, who is going to score?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

In the minds of many Leeds fans there echoes that old song from Shirley Bassey
"A little bit of history repeating" They look to past years and observe the poor performance
during the Christmas period, the failure to strengthen during the January transfer window,
and all this compounded by either suspensions, banns, or injuries.

This generates a mindset amongst the players and the fans of a sense of deja vu, or
the eternal groundhog day that it is our fate to continuously repeat the mistakes of the past
and we are trapped in an eternal loop that will keep us in the Championship forever.
These fears and worries seep into the subconscious of everyone and temper what we
perceive and how we behave.

Nobody wants to be trapped in this deterministic hell from which there is no escape.
Coming so close to gaining the victory only to have it snatched away at the last moment.
This makes for a good documentary but the literary device being used is the tragedy, where the
heroic character (Bielsa/Radrizzanni/Bamford) has one fatal flaw that leads to their downfall
and destruction... if you flip the coin over the opposite of tragedy is comedy and the rule of
thumb is that there is a triumph over unpleasant circumstance, resulting in a happy or successful
conclusion. (Enter Alioski stage left)

Talking about coins and probabilities Tom Stoppard wrote a play called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
are dead. The play opens with them betting on coin flips. Rosencrantz, who bets heads each time,
wins ninety-two flips in a row. The extreme unlikeliness of this event according to the laws of probability leads
Guildenstern to suggest that they may be held in the grip of "supernatural forces".

And all the doom and gloom merchants when they review past seasons must feel that if we can't get out
of this league then we are in the grip of some great conspiracy planned and directed by the EFL, who in
collusion with a whole host of referees thwart all our chances for getting promoted.

But as Guildenstern noted it is against the rules of probability that the same events continue to
happen over and over again and again, so take heart my friends the equation has so many variables.
Could be Jack Clarke gets loaned out to a team who's sole purpose is to take points off the chasing pack
and allow Leeds to progress. That is the way tragicomedies work... the disaster turns out to be a
blessing in disguise.

Exit stage right to the premiere league.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

-----------------------------Casilla-------------------------
Dallas-----------Cooper---------White-------Alioski
--------------------------Phillips---------------------------
Costa ------------------Klich------------------Harrison
--------------Bamford-----------Nketiah---------------
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 am -----------------------------Casilla-------------------------
Dallas-----------Cooper---------White-------Alioski
--------------------------Phillips---------------------------
Costa ------------------Klich------------------Harrison
--------------Bamford-----------Nketiah---------------
After the comment about Bamford and Nketiah playing together after the Fulham game can't see that happening Matt.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

And nor should it, would leave us massively undermanned in the centre of the park and I don't think Bamford is good enough to play the 10 in this system..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"