Time to hit the panic button?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Time to hit the panic button?

Post by Sara »

It's the risk of overspending now and then not going up which holds us back, I think.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 am It's the risk of overspending now and then not going up which holds us back, I think.

If we don't go up we are screwed
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think we're still operating within means atm. But another big spend or two and we don't go up and we're probably in trouble. Though if Kalvin keeps playing to this level we can clear debts that way. We have a rather good 23 waiting in the wings.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:29 am I think we're still operating within means atm. But another big spend or two and we don't go up and we're probably in trouble. Though if Kalvin keeps playing to this level we can clear debts that way. We have a rather good 23 waiting in the wings.

Financially if we dont go up we are ok, Costa's £15m transfer hits but Phillips goes to cover our costs in my opinion. WE can't afford to keep hold of him for another season.

Everything built goes out the window though, coaching staff gone and management looking for a way out.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 am If we don't go up we are screwed
Even more so if we take on big debts and wages now....
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Tbf if we don't go up this season we won't be going up next season overspend this or not. Kp will leave, Hernandez another year older, owners will be looking to go.

Therefore I say go for broke this. All we need is a top quality striker and winger, perhaps cover in defence. Tbh as long as we spend wisely it's not a gamble as all of the players will still have sell on value. The problem is that we've bought so badly under radz that a lot of what we've bought has reduced in value - forshaw, bamford, lumped with casillas wages, Costa not looking worth anywhere near 15 mil, then there was all the rest grot, de Bock, Cibicki, ekuban etc

Saying that, under radz, we won't spend a penny this transfer market will only be loans in which we'll either get lucky or we won't.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The first change I'd make is to promote Edmondson to the bench in readiness to switch strikers in Feb if we can't buy one. He knows the system, looks more predatory than Paddy, in box movement is better, superior in the air (not difficult Berardi is superior in the air) Looks physically stronger.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

No need for panic, WBA have taken 4 from the last 15, ourselves 5 so it's not like we're the only top side struggling to match early season form. But the old albatross is still there, we don't convert the chances we create. If that isn't addressed, then there is every chance that it will cost us. Perhaps Radz doesn't care, he's a businessman, not a fan after all, but his legacy, should we fail to go up will be that he secured the services of one of the world's most respected coaches and then fail to give him the tools to do the job properly. We are a striker and a 10 away from the Prem, that's how I see it. If we don't get them in this window, then strap yourselves in as it may get bumpy.

Agree with faaip re Edmondson, needs to be in the matchday squad as he looks to have all the attributes to make it at this level. I'm not a Bamford knocker, but a blind man on a galloping horse could see that he is profligate. Can't see young Ryan being as wasteful, despite his lack of opportunities. Something has to give, we can't keep bossing games and getting sucker punched because we can't put the ball in the net.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

From what I over heard at the game yesterday, you won't be seeing Edmondson anytime soon.
Not going to repeat it, as there may not be any truth in it, but it sounded very plausible.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:22 pm From what I over heard at the game yesterday, you won't be seeing Edmondson anytime soon.
Not going to repeat it, as there may not be any truth in it, but it sounded very plausible.

Seem to be suggestions he’s off out in loan
gessa

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:22 pm Seem to be suggestions he’s off out in loan
Yes, that seems to be happening too.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

If Ryan's off out on loan that would suggest that Leeds have lined up another striker to come in OR MB thinks that the cleaner could probably put a decent shift in !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interestingly we only took 12 points from 9 matches prior to our winning run, 6 from 6 matches since the winning run ended. So that shows that we have to be realistic that we won't simply win every match. The concern for me though is that during the first poor run the only problem we had was not scoring, in this run we have suddenly started leaking goals and whilst we scored goals against Cardiff and Birmingham we have been our usual wasteful self in the other matches.

Yesterday's match was like a lot of matches early on in the season where we failed to capitalise on our chances and then conceded late goals to the likes of Swansea, Forest, Derby etc. For the most part yesterday we defended well (same as early in the season) but when you don't score there is always the chance that the opposition will eventual get a chance that they take, like they did early in the season. What we need to do is not panic but to keep doing what we do well which is play the way we do, create the chances and trust that we will occasionally score - apart from against Middlesborough it wasn't like we were blowing teams away during our winning run. If we can add a couple of players during the transfer window that can help us score more goals then I think the problem will sort itself out. It isn't like we played poorly yesterday, we dominated the first half and although Sheff Wed improved in the second half and dominated for a patch I felt we had weathered the storm and then had begun to look the better team again so I would refute any suggestions we were tired.