Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

Post by BGwhite »

That's decided it for me, after much thought and deliberation I can confirm Bamford is erm.....SH!TE !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:49 pm Bamfords stats for what they are worth;

All Clubs/Championship
149 Games
9623 Minutes
55 Goals
Games per goal: 2.7
Minutes per goal: 175

Leeds/Championship
49 Games
3454 Minutes
19 Goals
Games per goal: 2.5
Minutes per goal: 181

2019/2020 Season
27 Games
10 Goals
2093 Minutes
Games per goal: 2.7
Minutes per goal: 209

This season, up to Sheff Wed game;
Minutes: 2006
Goals: 10
xG: 15.61
xG Difference: -5.61
Mins per Goal: 201
Shots: 85
Shots on Target 32
Shots per Goal: 8.5
Mins per Shot: 23.6
Big Chances Missed: 15
Shot Accuracy 38%
Conversion (On-Target): 31%
Conversion (Total): 12%
I think that's generous, I can think of 3/4 times this season when he hasn't even got a shot away in a good position
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:28 pm I think that's generous, I can think of 3/4 times this season when he hasn't even got a shot away in a good position

Procrastination is certainly an issue for him, he takes too long on the ball a lot of the time. But even when he does shoot only 1 in 3 are on target. And of those on target only 1 in 3 score.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd defend him to the hilt if I thought he was getting unlucky. But this is a lot more than just poor confidence for me.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Bamfords had enough chances now to have put Leeds clear at the top of the Chanpioinship ,what's the point of a hard working striker if he regularly misses the target no team who relys on Bamford will be in the top two of the championship
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Looks like Rab is the last member of the Patrick Bamford Appreciation Society.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

There are others and you have to respect their opinion. I see JFH said this is as good as Paddy gets and we're apparently offering 18M for Bowen if we can loan him RoS first. That will cripple if we fail to go up. I'm not entirely sure where we get the 33 - 41M even if we do go up. The FA doesn't pay out pre season.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I just read this article and I post it here for your contemplation and meditation.

Leeds United “Fans” Must Take Blame for Paddy’s QPR Penalty Miss – by Rob Atkinson #LeedsNews #MOT https://roblufc.org/2020/01/18/leeds-un ... -atkinson/

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rab_rant wrote:I just read this article and I post it here for your contemplation and meditation.

Leeds United “Fans” Must Take Blame for Paddy’s QPR Penalty Miss – by Rob Atkinson #LeedsNews #MOT https://roblufc.org/2020/01/18/leeds-un ... -atkinson/

Bamford has to instill confidence in us. It's not our job to instill confidence in him. The recent history in converting penalties means that a large percentage of the crowd were expecting him to not score the penalty just the same as he doesn't find the net with shots in open play. We're at the point now where I find the way Leeds play as boring because the end product is invariably the same. That means I have no confidence in the them . Prove me wrong please.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 am I just read this article and I post it here for your contemplation and meditation.

Read it, ironic that a blogger laments the use if social media....

So what?

Are you really saying all the worry being felt on the internet overrode the support that Bamford was getting from the fans at the stadium? . Fans who had made many sacrifices to be there as Leon will testify?

Not sure if you picked it up but as the teams were going off at HT yesterday the Leeds fans were again chanting Bamfords name. I'm sure he heard it.

If he is really that affected by his own imagination then I suggest he use some of that salary he picks up to pursue some cognitive therapy.

But truth be told, while he isnt the worst player in the world, he isnt consistent enough to leading the attack at Leeds. And no amount if confidence will change that.

We are back to Belshazzars feast again, and Bamford has been weighed, found wanting and surely his days are numbered.

And I dont think it is just the internet fan base who think so Rab.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Fact- Bamford may be inconsistent but at the moment he is the ONLY STRIKER We have.

I read on here that Dallas needs to go in at left back, and Bielsa duly obliges which pleases the fans. He gets continuously skinned by the QPR winger gets hauled off and replaces by Alioski who the fans think is Shite as a left back and the dynamic of the game changes.

just goes to show that even when the fans get their wishes then it doesn't mean the team will play better.

we lost the game to a double hand ball and there was the ironic shot of Wells kissing his wrist with a smile on his face.

Pablo hits the post. Jack misses with a couple of headers, Paddy's best shot is a lob from the half way line... how is that for vision.?

we are not where we are in the league because we are a bad team. what I can say is that this is a chaotic league and no team is playing with any consistency. Brentford beat QPR 5- 1 and then draw 0-0 with Huddersfield.

we are blinkered into looking only at our own form and disregarding the mayhem that exists elsewhere in the league.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

My final words on this thread.

People called for Dallas because he wasnt going to be dropped and wasnt going to be used at RWB so we preferred him there rather than CM. Dallas was subbed because he was booked in the first half. Qpr have pacey wingers but truth be told they rarely threatened.

Bamford is getting the flak because he IS the only option we have. Not his fault he is the only option but it doesnt change the fact.

With great responsibility comes great accountability.

Yes it is a chaotic league but while there are huge elements of randomness there isnt any about Leeds, we are doing, no not doing, we are allowing to happen what happened last time.

Small injury prone squad, no options up front, no options off the bench and a stoic manager banging in about efficiency in front if goal. And in getting rid of all the dead wood in the squad during the summer did no-one think seriously about bringing someone who could help out?

I know that is a wider debate but truth be told he just isnt a strong enough striker for this side
'
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Scapegoat: a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

There are few things are harder to bear than being scapegoated.
Yet this is what is happening to Bamford. He is being blamed for everything.
We forget what he was able to do during our 7 game winning streak.
The fans on the terraces may still chant his name, but it is the
keyboard warriors, who as the title of this thread suggests, want him
sent into the wilderness. But if this were to happen, what alternatives
do we have to step into his place... NONE.

Scapegoat: a goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it (Lev. 16)

The banishing to the wilderness happens to the easy targets
and if that does not work, the fans will then clamour for Bielsa's head,
and if disaster follows that then Radrizzanni will be the final scapegoat,
and the fans will have got what they have demanded and deserve.
Last edited by rab_rant on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:32 pm It actually works the other way though for me, it becomes easier for the rest of the team to score if the main striker is scoring and when you really only have Bamford and Harrison getting in the box regularly (and Harrison does a lot more defensive work than Paddy and has a decent strike rate plus he came a lot closer to scoring than Paddy and Paddy had a pen) it's up to the striker to put away the chances ..including the pen today
I think it is the same argument in effect - if the rest of the team is scoring it is easier for the striker to score and if the striker is scoring it is easier for the rest of the team to score. Teams, not just strikers, thrive on confidence and if players in the team feel like they can score 2 or 3 times every time they go onto the pitch they are all more relaxed and then the goals generally flow, when a team knows they are all struggling to score it builds the pressure up all over the pitch as in defence you know 1 mistake could mean you losing 1-0 no matter how much you dominate, play well etc.

For me if you don't have enough goals coming from other positions then you need to have 2 strikers. Even if Bamford scored 25 goals for us then you are still needing 3 other players to get a minimum of 10 goals plus each, then a few from elsewhere to try to get to somewhere near around 80 goals. At present Bamford looks unlikely to get to 25 and can anyone see 3 other players getting 10 each. Even if we got those we'd still need 25 goals from elsewhere and only own goals looks like a main contributor.

Take the Wilkinson side as an example and Batty was the only player not scoring. We had Chapman and Wallace, so probably looking at 30 to 40 goals there. Speed, Strachan and McAllister would likely add 10+ each. You then also had a few goals from the defenders, Dorigo, Sterland, Fairclough and Whyte. Well there is a great platform to doing well.

Take O'Leary's team and Viduka would be getting 20. Kewell, Bowyer, Bakke all likely in double figures. Harte knocking in a few too and again you have a platform to success.

This team doesn't have that, nowhere near. The first half of the season the success was built around an incredible defence. Conceding less than 1 goal every 2 games and you don't need to score 2 to win. Now that we are conceding then the writing is on the wall. We need to improve at both ends.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:48 am Fact- Bamford may be inconsistent but at the moment he is the ONLY STRIKER We have.

I read on here that Dallas needs to go in at left back, and Bielsa duly obliges which pleases the fans. He gets continuously skinned by the QPR winger gets hauled off and replaces by Alioski who the fans think is Shite as a left back and the dynamic of the game changes.

just goes to show that even when the fans get their wishes then it doesn't mean the team will play better.

we lost the game to a double hand ball and there was the ironic shot of Wells kissing his wrist with a smile on his face.

Pablo hits the post. Jack misses with a couple of headers, Paddy's best shot is a lob from the half way line... how is that for vision.?

we are not where we are in the league because we are a bad team. what I can say is that this is a chaotic league and no team is playing with any consistency. Brentford beat QPR 5- 1 and then draw 0-0 with Huddersfield.

we are blinkered into looking only at our own form and disregarding the mayhem that exists elsewhere in the league.

In essence, it's generally about the standard of players we have at our disposal. They are pretty average at best and MB has worked miracles in maximising their potential. However, the cracks are showing and there needs to be an injection of fresh blood.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:41 am There are others and you have to respect their opinion. I see JFH said this is as good as Paddy gets and we're apparently offering 18M for Bowen if we can loan him RoS first. That will cripple if we fail to go up. I'm not entirely sure where we get the 33 - 41M even if we do go up. The FA doesn't pay out pre season.
Presumably structured over the length of the contract, like Costa.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

He’s been far too wasteful, he could well end up with 20 league goals this season but even when he’s scoring he’s missing a lot of chances. He’s proving he’s not cut out to be the main man here, just can’t hack it.
He’s worked so hard for the team and played well on a whole, but 3/10 shots on target is so poor. We need someone to come in and take the starting role from him
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I hate knocking players, but I do believe that if we finish this season with Bamford as our striker, we're not going up. He is an effective player for this team everywhere but where it counts. Radz and Orta have 12 days to find us some firepower or I fear this season will fizzle out, despite the other chasing sides doing their best to f**k up as well. The amount of chances we create each game, we should be 10-15 points better off than we are. Not all Bamford's fault, of course, others are profligate too, but he's the guy in the striker role. My QPR supporting mate, who was at the game yesterday, did say that they were lucky the ref didn't spot the double handball AND that Bamford couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. I take no pleasure in this, but the lad is simply not good enough for a side with Premiership ambitions
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:01 pm I hate knocking players, but I do believe that if we finish this season with Bamford as our striker, we're not going up. He is an effective player for this team everywhere but where it counts. Radz and Orta have 12 days to find us some firepower or I fear this season will fizzle out, despite the other chasing sides doing their best to f**k up as well. The amount of chances we create each game, we should be 10-15 points better off than we are. Not all Bamford's fault, of course, others are profligate too, but he's the guy in the striker role. My QPR supporting mate, who was at the game yesterday, did say that they were lucky the ref didn't spot the double handball AND that Bamford couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. I take no pleasure in this, but the lad is simply not good enough for a side with Premiership ambitions
I really hate knocking players too (see my support of Roofe Coooper Berardi Douglas ...and most of the others that got knocked here and elsewhere continually. Hell I was defending Phillips on waccoe and here when everyone else was saying he's the next Alex Mowatt and needs to be ditched) But honestly could you tell me what he does so much better than what just about any other striker could do for us given a run in the system.

Strikers number one priority is to put the ball in the back of the net. If we want a striker to close down, chase down lost causes (Roofe used to do this so well,) hold the ball up, be ok in the air and defend well then why not just stick a decent DMF up front. You've just described David Batty
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bielsa wants too many boxes ticked by every player. Impossible. Bamford isn't a striker who can also tick the other boxes . Think it's been mentioned before that Bielsa wants too much of him which is distracting from his main job - not that he's great at that but it certainly won't help. Bielsa must accept some of the blame here .