Andre Gray

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Andre Gray

Post by YorkshireSquare »

First it was Dwight Gayle then Che Adams, next we were linked with Jarrod Bowen. They were what we could have won, now the rumours around Andre Gray are hotting up. So, whats everyones thoughts if it is?

Bit part player at Watford these days, 701 minutes from 18 games this season, only scored two. Record in the Championship is 42 goals in 90 appearances. In the Premiership its just 23 goals from 110 appearances.

Watford fans dont seem too bothered about him going but think he could do a job in the Championship...

He's always been a confidence player, once he scores 1 he's more likely to go on a run. Either way I think half a season in the Champ will do him good, he will get more game time & score there, probably come back to us a better player or worth more if we dispose. All the better if we have a few Champ clubs fighting over him. Best case scenario.
Good for you for supporting our players, but when it comes to Gray you can’t just judge him on his stats (which aren’t great anyway). The point with him is that, when the ball is played to him nine times out of ten he struggles to control it and the attack breaks down. So when he plays from the start our attacking play is seriously disjointed, hence why he is so often only a sub.
It’s inescapable that he’s lost a lot of what made him fairly prolific in the Championship. Much like Deeney has. Happy to support both as WFC players but both are not what they once were. Gray’s composure in front of goal and ability to regularly mis-kick is a worry and why many feel they can’t trust him. I think he’s a confidence player who needs a solid run of games - he’s not going to get that with us I doubt.
Gray has a faultless attitude (watch him celebrate the goal v Bournemouth after he came on in the 90th minute with the game already won). Very hard working team player. Has already proved he can score vital goals and is our 3rd top scorer of all time in the premier league. Best position in 4231 is on the right as he isnt that adept at leading the line. The key thing with Andre is his ability to get into goal scoring positions and yeah we all know he's not f**king Sergio Aguero. If I was Leeds I'd offer £20m, he would guarantee them promotion. I think he's around the top 3 strikers in championship history for minutes per goal. All those people saying they'd drive Andre to Leeds. Ud have to get past my 1970s Central American civil war style road block just outside Watford
gessa

Re: Andre Gray

Post by gessa »

Underwhelmed if this was to happen.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I'd have him .The very name Gray may well fit the link .Eddie, Frankie& Stuart .Andy Gray
and even the tenacious full back Micheal Gray were brillant servants to Leeds United.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Upgrade on Bamford for sure but the cost maybe an issue. Loan til the end of the season seems indicated
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Not first choice but better than bamford. We're running out of options
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Apparently Gray is following Dallas, White, Forshaw, Bamford, LUFC Fanzone on social media
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyone seen him play ?
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Did'nt he play at Leicester 4/5 seasons back ..?
If its same he was a right good'un mate.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

paddy parrott wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm Did'nt he play at Leicester 4/5 seasons back ..?

Luton, Brentford, Burnley, Watford
gessa

Post by gessa »

paddy parrott wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm Did'nt he play at Leicester 4/5 seasons back ..?

Different Gray Paddy
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Thanks Gessa still Gray though .
gessa

Post by gessa »

paddy parrott wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 pm Thanks Gessa still Gray though .
👍

Demarai Gray Leicester, nippy winger they had from Brum, I'd be happy with him
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Wow I am hugely torn over this.

Watford go down this season and you pick up that lad on a free as they attempt to free themselves from a hideous wage bill.

So if Leeds have to pay a reportedly 70k wage THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN AGREE TO SIGN HIM at this point

Is he any good? He scored goals at this level before
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 pm 👍

Demarai Gray Leicester, nippy winger they had from Brum, I'd be happy with him
Yes I remember Demarai Gray running rings round us in a cup match at the King Power stadium
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

He was on loan with us (Telford) a few years ago didn't look anything special obviously he's improved a lot since then
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:18 pm Wow I am hugely torn over this.

Watford go down this season and you pick up that lad on a free as they attempt to free themselves from a hideous wage bill.

So if Leeds have to pay a reportedly 70k wage THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN AGREE TO SIGN HIM at this point

Is he any good? He scored goals at this level before
Loan with option to buy would be lowest risk for possible highest reward
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm Anyone seen him play ?
Yes, quite a few times for Luton in their Conference promotion season. I was down there a lot that year and have friends who are Hatters.

I was really impressed with him, and thought then that he could play at a much higher level. He could run at people, carry the ball, beat his man and score. He looked really agile, and could create something out of nothing. Lower level, I know, but he scored 30 goals that season, so he knows where the net is.

For various reasons, as others have said, you'd put Adams and Bowen above him, but if he came here and got into his stride, he should be more than capable of doing what we need. Loan for the rest of the season would certainly be worth it imo.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am Yes, quite a few times for Luton in their Conference promotion season. I was down there a lot that year and have friends who are Hatters.

I was really impressed with him, and thought then that he could play at a much higher level. He could run at people, carry the ball, beat his man and score. He looked really agile, and could create something out of nothing. Lower level, I know, but he scored 30 goals that season, so he knows where the net is.

For various reasons, as others have said, you'd put Adams and Bowen above him, but if he came here and got into his stride, he should be more than capable of doing what we need. Loan for the rest of the season would certainly be worth it imo.
So the lad had the potential to go onto a higher level, obviously Burnley & Watford thought he was capable so hopefully he'll do the business for Leeds if we sign him Sara
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The biggest knock on Gray is he's not Adams or Bowen, either of whom could come here and flop..Players change teams, conditions and suddenly they're new players. Either for the worse or for the better. There are no guarantees here

Che Adams please if it takes the rest of the transfer window but RoS loan for Gray at 2M with an OPTION to buy would suit everyone anyway...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I think, assuming we don't get Adams or Gayle (who I reckon would tear it up as a Bielsa player - IF he stays fit), the real question is would Gray be an upgrade on Bamford?