Our U23s Not trusted or not good enough.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Our U23s Not trusted or not good enough.

Post by Irish Ian »

Thinking back to two comments from last season and the summer.

First, MBs suggestion that this team would not be able to replicate the performance of last time.
We could debate what prompted him to say that, but in any case it was something he foresaw.

Second, Radz said that we were in for a tough time transfer wise and would have to depend on loans and U23s.

Now loans, White has worked, he is a key player. Same with Harrison.
The other three, Meslier so far is pointless, Clarke too, and Nketiah has proved to be a disaster financially and has put us in this impossible position now, looking for a striker, but on,y having two strikers in a promotion push was imo irresponsible.

Interestingly OGS just said on sky there that he may be looking at his U23s to step up and fill the gaps in his squad. While sanctioning a £30m bid for the Birmingham kid!
But I digress.

Our U23s...
Shacks has played ok and we want so badly for him to succeed.
But the rest. Do we actually know what we have? Due to the lack of rotation will MB wait until we are so bare bones then play too many of them in the same game?

I thought Bielsa was meant to be good at developing youngsters. Are some our ones so poor they cant be used or not good enough? Or is the pressure to promote superseding the idea of developing from within?

And think of the massive clearcut we have had last summer with some you have Iinternational experience being unable to break into the side.

What pressures are we under? Is it money?

We invest a lot in our Acad but seem struggle bringing them through.
And we atent able to really profit financially from the sales we make on them.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Our U23s Not trusted or not good enough.

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Thinking back to two comments from last season and the summer.

First, MBs suggestion that this team would not be able to replicate the performance of last time.
We could debate what prompted him to say that, but in any case it was something he foresaw.

Second, Radz said that we were in for a tough time transfer wise and would have to depend on loans and U23s.

Now loans, White has worked, he is a key player. Same with Harrison.
The other three, Meslier so far is pointless, Clarke too, and Nketiah has proved to be a disaster financially and has put us in this impossible position now, looking for a striker, but on,y having two strikers in a promotion push was imo irresponsible.

Interestingly OGS just said on sky there that he may be looking at his U23s to step up and fill the gaps in his squad. While sanctioning a £30m bid for the Birmingham kid!
But I digress.

Our U23s...
Shacks has played ok and we want so badly for him to succeed.
But the rest. Do we actually know what we have? Due to the lack of rotation will MB wait until we are so bare bones then play too many of them in the same game?

I thought Bielsa was meant to be good at developing youngsters. Are some our ones so poor they cant be used or not good enough? Or is the pressure to promote superseding the idea of developing from within?

And think of the massive clearcut we have had last summer with some you have Iinternational experience being unable to break into the side.

What pressures are we under? Is it money?

We invest a lot in our Acad but seem struggle bringing them through.
And we atent able to really profit financially from the sales we make on them.
Some good points there II. As previously mentioned, the lack of first team football beyond our regular team is alarming and that's nobody's fault but Bielsa's. The recruitment for the 23's is relentless and it's become obvious that the intention is to sell them on for profit but in the meantime the first team squad gets thinner and thinner . We are not City or Chelsea who can afford to make massive losses on players if they don't work out. We are penny-less in comparison and should be focused on investing in the first team squad and replacing good for excellent etc etc . The money wasted on the 23's must be astronomical but totally pointless if they're not being allowed the chance to step up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

My tuppence worth's not whether MB isn't trusting these kids . Beisla is the man at the helm and to be fair to the man he's brought in ,Cadey ,Shacks Gotts ,Mc Calmount& Meslier to name some.Leif Davis, Jack Clarke could be an exception due the fact he's gone and so on.
Let's see over the next 18 games what's what.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I don't know whether they are poor or not, it has to be remembered though that we are effectively a 2nd division u23 side, when we played Derby who are a 1st division one we got stuffed 7-0 I think it was, so important not to get ahead of ourselves with how good our kids are.

What I do find frustrating is that Orta came in with a reputation for finding bargains to be sold at a profit, clearly that is what Radz wanted. Always seemed a run before you can walk policy to me, you get your first team in order first but hey ho.

Not one of the youth team signings Orta signed has gone on to do anything for us and it looks like we can add Mujica to that list now.

Ousama Siddicki, Kamil Miazek,Hugo Diaz, Oriol Rey, Adrian Balboa, Oliver Sarkic, Alejandro Muchuca, Guilermo Amor.

Even Halme was sold at a loss.

Their will be millions of pounds invested in those players and some of them cant even get a game at reserve level in Spain.

When a key part of your job is to find players to be able to sell at a profit and basically fund the club and you have a hit rate of 0 in 3 years then questions should be asked.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think Cjay's point is extremely valid about the quality of opposition we play against in the U23s, the same argument could be levelled at what Eddie Nketiah has done when all his 'experience' is banging in goals for England age groups against teams that would probably struggle in Sunday League.

We just have to look at how people were raving about some of the players that have come through in the past but yet haven't really shone at lower clubs, Tom Pearce, Halme, Odour etc I think Bielsa is right to introduce them slowly and then seeing how they do. Shackleton and Clarke seem to be the only ones to really grab the opportunity also Clarke seems to have taken a backward step or two.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I have friends who regularly watch the U23's & the general consensus is apart from Shackleton they are not ready to start in the first-team yet!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We should be concentrating our efforts on signing players to play in the first-team

Surely the priority should be setting our sights promotion not building something that might happen in two or three seasons time
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:47 pm We should be concentrating our efforts on signing players to play in the first-team

Surely the priority should be setting our sights promotion not building something that might happen in two or three seasons time
Exactly
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Wasn't it Howard Wilkinson who said, of every 10 signings, you can expect at least 5 of them to not work out, and 3 out of 10 is a decent success rate.

Maybe our expectations are simply far too high, and the constant blame game is just an expression of the unusual fan frustrations.

Presumably the narratives that Bielsa is too 'stubborn' to integrate youth, and Orta is too dumb to sign good ones, are more satisfying; even if they do contradict each other.