The Snowflake Mantra!!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

The Snowflake Mantra!!

Post by hector »

4f39bfbe61aacdc687e2cba1075f4d04.jpg
4f39bfbe61aacdc687e2cba1075f4d04.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The Snowflake Mantra!!

Post by Irish Ian »

Posts like that should be banned.....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
hector

Post by hector »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 am Posts like that should be banned.....
Why is that?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 amWhy is that?
Um...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The word 'snowflake' is invariably used by white men, usually trolls on the internet, to suggest that anyone disadvantaged by race, gender, ability etc, should simply shut up about it, and not expect fair treatment.

The notion that these people are constantly 'offended' is totally disingenuous. In reality it is the fragility of the male ego which is trrrriiiigggeerrrrrrreddd by the threat of liost privilege.

As soon as you call someone a snowflake you've lost the argument imo.
hector

Post by hector »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:50 amUm...
I very nearly fell for that :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am The word 'snowflake' is invariably used by white men, usually trolls on the internet, to suggest that anyone disadvantaged by race, gender, ability etc, should simply shut up about it, and not expect fair treatment.

The notion that these people are constantly 'offended' is totally disingenuous. In reality it is the fragility of the male ego which is trrrriiiigggeerrrrrrreddd by the threat of liost privilege.

As soon as you call someone a snowflake you've lost the argument imo.
What a load of twonk..... I feel as though I should be offended by that.... I shall consult Google and get back to you. :duno: ;-)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 am What a load of twonk..... I feel as though I should be offended by that.... I shall consult Google and get back to you. :duno: ;-)
Try Wiki:

Snowflake as a politicized insult is typically used by those on the political right to insult those on the political left.[8] In an article from the Los Angeles Times, Jessica Roy says the alt-right in the United States pejoratively describes most liberals and those protesting against Donald Trump as "snowflakes".[20] A 2017 article from Think Progress commented: "The insult expanded to encompass not just the young, but liberals of all ages; it became the epithet of choice for right-wingers to fling at anyone who could be accused of being too easily offended, too in need of "safe spaces, too fragile".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake ... prov=sfti1
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

"When people call you a "snowflake" just remember they're quoting Fight Club, a satire written by a gay man about how male fragility causes men to destroy themselves, resent society, and become radicalized, and that Tyler Durden isn't the hero but a personification of the main character's mental illness, and that his "snowflake" speech is a dig at how fascists use dehumanising language to breed loyalty from insecure people."

So now you know.
hector

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 am Try Wiki:

Snowflake as a politicized insult is typically used by those on the political right to insult those on the political left.[8] In an article from the Los Angeles Times, Jessica Roy says the alt-right in the United States pejoratively describes most liberals and those protesting against Donald Trump as "snowflakes".[20] A 2017 article from Think Progress commented: "The insult expanded to encompass not just the young, but liberals of all ages; it became the epithet of choice for right-wingers to fling at anyone who could be accused of being too easily offended, too in need of "safe spaces, too fragile".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake ... prov=sfti1
The trouble with Wiki is that any old snowflake or idiot or idealist etc can, and do, write it, and then other people take it as gospel....

I don't read Wiki as most of the things in the past that I have looked up for confirmation have had "many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate"
hector

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:43 am "When people call you a "snowflake" just remember they're quoting Fight Club, a satire written by a gay man about how male fragility causes men to destroy themselves, resent society, and become radicalized, and that Tyler Durden isn't the hero but a personification of the main character's mental illness, and that his "snowflake" speech is a dig at how fascists use dehumanising language to breed loyalty from insecure people."

So now you know.
ner ner na ner ner :P :P

:)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:56 am ner ner na ner ner :P :P

:)
:lol:

Well, you started it!

Tend to agree about wiki, but it's an easy go to. The point being that the term 'snowflake' is a put down generally used to belittle and silence people who criticise dominant hierarchies in any way; quite often, unironically, in the name of 'free speech'. I'm not 'offended' by it, but it's getting old.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Plenty of opinions but not much citing overwhelming use by white male internet trolls, unless the object is to 'find' that proof amongst all possible peccadillos.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -snowflake

https://www.gq.com/story/why-trump-supp ... snowflakes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/college/ ... /37427267/
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Norm wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:59 pm Plenty of opinions but not much citing overwhelming use by white male internet trolls, unless the object is to 'find' that proof amongst all possible peccadillos.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -snowflake

https://www.gq.com/story/why-trump-supp ... snowflakes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/college/ ... /37427267/
From your second link:

"There is not a single political point a liberal can make on the Internet for which “You triggered, snowflake?” cannot be the comeback. It’s purpose is dismissing liberalism as something effeminate, and also infantile"

It's irritating because it isn't an argument, it's just playground level bullying.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Every man and his dog are offended by something, just stay in and switch off all communication,jobs a good un.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I've had a few memory problems since my treatments, but I do remember being called a snowflake by a black man at Cox hospital in Branson sometime last May. He said it in good humour with a smile on his face as we were joking about our respective treatments. The word seemed to be in vogue at the time for anyone who was a little less than 100% fit and active and was having negative views about appointments or transport. He was also called a snowflake by a nurse for complaining about something and we all laughed. This is actually true and it demonstrates the fact that the term was used by a black man and a woman in fairly quick succession - the difference I suppose is it was said with levity rather than condescension or accusation.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Context is everything.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

True
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

And hector mate there are only Four Gospels..
Just for the record you see..?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I do know that no two are alike ...does that help?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"