Favourite Albums You Can't Listen To.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Favourite Albums You Can't Listen To.

Post by Sara »

Listened to WYWH last night, for the first time in about twenty years. It was my favourite album growing up, but I played it to death, and it had too many associations. Actually heard it afresh and enjoyed it again.

Anyone else got any old faves that you don't play anymore, for whatever reason?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Favourite Albums You Can't Listen To.

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm Listened to WYWH last night, for the first time in about twenty years. It was my favourite album growing up, but I played it to death, and it had too many associations. Actually heard it afresh and enjoyed it again.

Still love that album.

On topic,I recall saving up and going halfers with my sister ---£2.20 --- for Gary Glitter ironically named Touch Me.

Ewwwwww.....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:01 pm Listened to WYWH last night, for the first time in about twenty years. It was my favourite album growing up, but I played it to death, and it had too many associations. Actually heard it afresh and enjoyed it again.

I also played WYWH to death back in 1975, probably overplayed it Sara.

Went back to it couple of years ago, still a great album but those initial months were special pleasurable listening
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Still trying to come up with a new album poll that won't be too long-winded or complicated. Problem is not everyone has time to wade through albums they haven't heard previously.

Any ideas welcome
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Don't know if there are ones I can't play/listen to any more.

However, I think I do tend to listen to some stuff in phases, ie it's on heavy rotation for a while then I don't listen to it for ages. Earlier in the week I listened to HL's Dare and H17's P&P, which I played to death when they came out but both of which I hadn't listened to for ages. I still do really rate Dare though.

For me it seems to be 80's albums that I perhaps played a lot at the time but haven't stood my listening attention over time as much as my 70's stuff (which is still, without doubt my favourite).
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I think some stuff just doesn't stand the test of time so well, 80s production being a prime culprit. Also something like NWOBHM, which I was into at the time, but now seems so derivative and limited. I can still listen to things like the early Sisters Of Mercy EPs though, despite the tinny guitars and crap drum machine.

I suppose I'm thinking of albums with strong associations with a different time of life. WYWH was definitely my 'coming of age' album, and had so many personal meanings which I attributed to it, that it didn't really survive into middle age.

Calexico's Feast Of Wire is a major breakup album, but that also coincided with various new beginnings, so I can still listen to that.

Tom Waits, I listened to almost exclusively for about five years, and I hardly ever play it now. It was a phase, and is too idiosyncratic to translate to a different age and a different mood.

My current play to death obsession is the later Mark Hollis stuff. I can't imagine ever tiring of that, but you never know.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 pm I think some stuff just doesn't stand the test of time so well, 80s production being a prime culprit. Also something like NWOBHM, which I was into at the time, but now seems so derivative and limited. I can still listen to things like the early Sisters Of Mercy EPs though, despite the tinny guitars and crap drum machine.

I suppose I'm thinking of albums with strong associations with a different time of life. WYWH was definitely my 'coming of age' album, and had so many personal meanings which I attributed to it, that it didn't really survive into middle age.

Calexico's Feast Of Wire is a major breakup album, but that also coincided with various new beginnings, so I can still listen to that.

Tom Waits, I listened to almost exclusively for about five years, and I hardly ever play it now. It was a phase, and is too idiosyncratic to translate to a different age and a different mood.

My current play to death obsession is the later Mark Hollis stuff. I can't imagine ever tiring of that, but you never know.
A fair bit of nwobhm is fetching good money, a Big Daisy single I own fetched $100 on American ebay, the yanks buy it still.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:37 pm A fair bit of nwobhm is fetching good money, a Big Daisy single I own fetched $100 on American ebay, the yanks buy it still.
People will collect anything! Interesting to know though.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 pm I think some stuff just doesn't stand the test of time so well, 80s production being a prime culprit. Also something like NWOBHM, which I was into at the time, but now seems so derivative and limited. I can still listen to things like the early Sisters Of Mercy EPs though, despite the tinny guitars and crap drum machine.

I don't tend to relate albums to a particular time or event, as much a specific songs.....and I don't think (although I may be wrong) blokes relate music to emotional events, such as relationship break ups, meetings etc etc..

A couple which stick in my mine are TfF and EWtRtW - which seemed to be on non-stop when we went on a 80's weekend to Worthing to visit a mate from college who lived there. I remember thinking, as a town, it would be a bit boring and full of bowls playing pensioners. However, how wrong was I :shock: - one of the roughest nights out I've had.....fights in every club we went to and in the last my mate had to break up two girls fighting in the street, one of which was trying to glass the other (although that was in Hove).

The other one that for some reason always sticks in my mind is Grandmaster Flash and Whites Lines. I fell off a table, whilst dancing (I'm sure very badly) to this in a bar called the Beach Boys Club in Lloret de Mar in 83/84 (?). I bet youngsters don't go to Lloret anymore, but in my day that was where you went :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 pm Tom Waits, I listened to almost exclusively for about five years, and I hardly ever play it now. It was a phase, and is too idiosyncratic to translate to a different age and a different mood.

Love Tom Waits albums as you know & I believe I recommended the Mark Hollis solo album which is a hidden gem :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:29 pm Lloret de Mar in 83/84 (?). I bet youngsters don't go to Lloret anymore, but in my day that was where you went :)
Had a holiday there in '76 Cat
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm Still trying to come up with a new album poll that won't be too long-winded or complicated. Problem is not everyone has time to wade through albums they haven't heard previously.

Any ideas welcome
So any ideas?
hector

Post by hector »

what the bloody hell are all these letters for albums meaning?

I think I got Wish you were here, but after that, not a bloody clue......
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
gessa

Post by gessa »

Nwobhm

New wave of British heavy metal
hector

Post by hector »

Cheers Ges, is that the guff by the likes of Saxon etc ?
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm Cheers Ges, is that the guff by the likes of Saxon etc ?
That's the stuff
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm Cheers Ges, is that the guff by the likes of Saxon etc ?
Wheeeeeee-eeeels

Wheels of Steel!

Etc
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 pm what the bloody hell are all these letters for albums meaning?

I blame Faaip ;-)
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

hector wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 pm what the bloody hell are all these letters for albums meaning?

I thought it was just me who didn't have a clue, WTF :)

BTW I still enjoy W and R after all these years.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm I believe I recommended the Mark Hollis solo album which is a hidden gem :tup:
Indeed you did, and I'm still playing it regularly and growing into it.