The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th January) Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th January) Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 27th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Poveda pens a four and a half year deal

Ian Poveda has penned a deal with the Whites keeping him at Elland Road until the Summer of 2024. The 19 year old fell out with Senior Management at the Etihad over the Christmas period over his first team status. Since then, a host of Serie A clubs (and Celtic) have been after his signature, but eventually the England U20 Winger / attacking midfielder chose West Yorkshire as his destination.

Poveda's style of play is similar to Saiz, and just like the former Real Madrid player, is not blessed with height. In fact Poveda is only 5ft 5in; the same height as Billy Bremner. Poveda told LUTV...

I know Leeds won the league the year before it turned into the Premier League and I believe they should be back there.

I'm very excited to work under [Marcelo] Bielsa, I know he improves players and that's what I'm looking to do under his guidance.
Although Leeds only had to part with £1m to secure the deal, which surely must be one of the deals of the season; there is a 30% sell on clause.

No Pep talk from Guardiola

Pep Guardiola had no influence on the England U20 winger joining the Whites. There is no secret that the former Barcelona and Spanish legend has high admirations for Bielsa but assured the press (following their 4-0 drubbing of Fulham yesterday) that he hadn't spoken to Poveda since the bust up.

I don’t know. I didn’t speak with Ian, but anyway, either way it’s a really good decision for him. He’s young, he has to play. He was not able and Leeds United is an incredible challenge.

To be training with one of the best, maybe the best, managers in the world in terms of how he helps the players to be better players. He has an incredible power to develop. For the way Leeds play suits perfect for his qualities.

Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

French U21 International Jean-Kevin Augustin should undergo a medical at Thorp Arch later today, as the 22 year old will sign on loan with the Whites until the end of the season. There is a compulsory clause that Leeds must buy him in the Summer for a set fee believed to be in the region of 15m

The former Paris Saint-Germain hitman signed for Bundesliga pace setters Leipzig for £11 in 2017, where he netted twelve times in his first season. He was sent out on season long loan to Monaco at the beginning of the season, but opportunities have been limited for the young French man.

Last Summer both Everton and Southampton were interested in the then £35m valued striker, but Augustin has agreed to make the move to West Yorkshire following a personal phone call from Bielsa himself. Augustin has represented France in every age group from U16 -U21 netting 24 times in total. French Giants Monaco tweeted last night that they had agreed to cut Augustin's loan agreement, and wished Leeds Utd good luck.

Ian Poveda, Marcelo Bielsa, Pep Guardiola, Jean-Kevin Augustin, Paris Saint-Germain, Monaco, Leipzig
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th January) Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

Nice to read those accolades for Bielsa.
I wonder if our performance against Arsenal helped to convince those two lads to come to Leeds.

15M in the summer seems fair for JKA and collectively we should be able turn a profit from them both in a few years.

So where are we going to find a DM from then?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th January) Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

Post by rab_rant »

Irish Ian wrote:
So where are we going to find a DM from then?

Before Bristol can snap up Leicester's Filip Benkovic go for this Croatian defender. The Croatians are big and tough footballers, and for a small nation they always do well in the World Cup... always punching above their weight.

We have not pissed in anybodies soup yet and this would be another opportunity to do another Nketiah on Bristol.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

JKA apparently at ER having his medical
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:58 am The Croatians are big and tough footballers

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
And they have no word for “fluffy”
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What do they call their cats then?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm What do they call their cats then?
Goulash!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Of all l the striker candidates we were looking at over the course of the window, I think Augustin might well be the best. Certainly he has the most potential.

Poveda looks class, too.

Two very positive moves during the window; a 180 degree turn from last year this time.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:31 pm Two very positive moves during the window; a 180 degree turn from last year this time.
A bit harsh. If Dan James transfer had concluded then last year we'd have signed Kiko and James which would have been excellent business. I think they have learnt the lesson from last year and decided not to let Southampton derail us in the way Swansea did. I feel Adams was the no.1 target probably more down to his familiarity with the championship and the fact he has done well there. Augustin probably is a better player, more potential etc but it isn't a guarantee he will adapt to the premiership.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 pm A bit harsh. If Dan James transfer had concluded then last year we'd have signed Kiko and James which would have been excellent business. I think they have learnt the lesson from last year and decided not to let Southampton derail us in the way Swansea did. I feel Adams was the no.1 target probably more down to his familiarity with the championship and the fact he has done well there. Augustin probably is a better player, more potential etc but it isn't a guarantee he will adapt to the premiership.
Okay then.

A 120 degree turn from last year. :)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

weasel wrote: A bit harsh. If Dan James transfer had concluded then last year we'd have signed Kiko and James which would have been excellent business. I think they have learnt the lesson from last year and decided not to let Southampton derail us in the way Swansea did. I feel Adams was the no.1 target probably more down to his familiarity with the championship and the fact he has done well there. Augustin probably is a better player, more potential etc but it isn't a guarantee he will adapt to the premiership.
Couldn't give a monkeys as long as he adapts to the championship and helps get us up. We'll cross that PL bridge when and if.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk