York- Travel advice

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

York- Travel advice

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Myself and my fine ladyfriend (MrsHereford) are travelling up to stay in York in our half term break.
Would any of you kind souls who live locally/ have visited give us some advice for places to eat. Things to do and see and maybe some countryside walks as well.
Much obliged.

P.S. tried to see if there was a cheeky home game whilst we were there but unfortunately not.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: York- Travel advice

Post by Ratscoot »

Hi Hereford

York is a fabulous place to visit plenty of places to walk around, shop, eat and drink

If you have a few bob you have to at least have one drink in the Whiskey Bar at the Grand Hotel it’s not cheap but the atmosphere in that grand room is worth it.

Shambles area is nice to walk round, plenty of antique shops, restaurants and bars, if you do call into the House of Trembling Madness great bar with some weird tipples and get your Viking Willy’s from there :tup: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Thanks, Ratscoots, for the advice. I was planning on taking a day in York on my trip next month.

I will definitely check out the Whiskey Bar and the House of Trembling Madness.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Some real foodie playes in York if that's your thing....

Skosh - https://www.skoshyork.co.uk/
Cochon Aveugle - https://www.lecochonaveugle.uk/
Cave du Cochon - https://www.caveducochon.uk/
Roots - https://www.rootsyork.com/
Star Inn The City - http://www.starinnthecity.co.uk/
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:34 pm Thanks, Ratscoots, for the advice. I was planning on taking a day in York on my trip next month.

I will definitely check out the Whiskey Bar and the House of Trembling Madness.
Excellent you’ll love it :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

York is our favourite city, only 28 miles away

Treat your lady with class & take her to Betty's

The food is amazing. The staff are trained to a very high standard and are very knowledgeable. The attention to detail is wonderful. The atmosphere is so relaxing and is an escape from the busy world outside.

Their rosti's & fish dishes are delicious, desserts are to die for :-D you can't go wrong whatever you order.

Having withdrawal symptoms as we haven't been to Betty's since last autumn.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

As someone who has lived just outside York all my life I would avoid Bettys at all costs nearly all the people who reside in or around York avoid it like mad.It survives on its name and is a big rip off
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Of all the places I've lived York (well, a village a few miles outside called Dunnington) would be the one I'd be happiest to go back to.

But I moved from there in 1973/74 and have only been back a few times in the last 10/20yrs, so I'm not of much help Hereford :-D

Depends what your thing is, but if it's a nice day going around the city walls (if you still can) is good.

I'm sure there's loads of nice places to eat/drink. As a kid I always recall that a pub (sure it was the King's Arms/King's Head - something like that) down by the river that seemed to flood every year - and if anything the floods are more frequent now !

Enjoy !
hector

Post by hector »

The flooding pub was called the Riverside in the 80's when I was stationed at Fulford....

Always used to drink in the Roman Baths where an actual Roman bath was below it and you could see it through glass...
Tnhe the fall over bars were The Handsom Cab and the Tiger both next door to each other. Real strong beer etc was in the Lenal Cellars.

Probably all gone now
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:21 pm As someone who has lived just outside York all my life I would avoid Bettys at all costs nearly all the people who reside in or around York avoid it like mad.It survives on its name and is a big rip off
It's not a rip-off EY, Betty's serve up quality food as oppose to the microwave rubbish at Wetherspoons or MacDonalds.

We agree to disagree !
hector

Post by hector »

I don't recall there being a Bettys there when I lived there...

The one in Harrogate is the only real Bettys, I used to pop in there occasionally in the 70's and my Parents used to go in there in the late 50's
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

hector wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:10 pm I don't recall there being a Bettys there when I lived there...

The one in Harrogate is the only real Bettys, I used to pop in there occasionally in the 70's and my Parents used to go in there in the late 50's
That is correct the one in York is an offshoot where you pay for the name like the magpie in whitby.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm York is our favourite city, only 28 miles away

Treat your lady with class & take her to Betty's

The food is amazing. The staff are trained to a very high standard and are very knowledgeable. The attention to detail is wonderful. The atmosphere is so relaxing and is an escape from the busy world outside.

Their rosti's & fish dishes are delicious, desserts are to die for :-D you can't go wrong whatever you order.

Having withdrawal symptoms as we haven't been to Betty's since last autumn.
Will go to Betty's on my day in Harrogate. :)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:21 pm As someone who has lived just outside York all my life I would avoid Bettys at all costs nearly all the people who reside in or around York avoid it like mad.It survives on its name and is a big rip off
Yet despite that, the two occasions I have been to York the queue to get in Bettys was out the door. We didn't want to queue so found another tea room just around the corner which did a lovely cream tea and there was plenty of room.
Tbf both times were in the summer and most places were heaving.
Is the Yorvik museum back open now? I remember it got flooded out a couple of years ago.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Got to see the Abbey, walk the wall and see the haunted dungeon tour. Also just walking the cobble-stone streets surrounded by lovely buildings is a treat. There's the railway museum too - love York.

On one of my visits I was walking the cobblestone streets admiring the buildings when I heard a young American female voice behind me, delightfully crying out 'Ooooh a Starbucks'.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

If you want to do a bit of history, the medieval pass is good value.

http://www.thejorvikgroup.com/attractions/medievalpass/
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:27 am Yet despite that, the two occasions I have been to York the queue to get in Bettys was out the door. We didn't want to queue so found another tea room just around the corner which did a lovely cream tea and there was plenty of room.
Tbf both times were in the summer and most places were heaving.
Is the Yorvik museum back open now? I remember it got flooded out a couple of years ago.
There's a good reason why their clients queue.

It's a bit like a busy fish & chip shop as oppose to a empty one down the road.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:38 am On one of my visits I was walking the cobblestone streets admiring the buildings when I heard a young American female voice behind me, delightfully crying out 'Ooooh a Starbucks'.
Oh dear!
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Heard it all now .
leeds fans scrobbling over some snobbish tearoom !
get a grip ffs.