Signings of Ian and 'Big Kev' a massive boost for Leeds squad

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Signings of Ian and 'Big Kev' a massive boost for Leeds squad

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Leeds United have had a busy week, completing their January transfer business with the signings of Ian Poveda from Manchester City and Jean-Kevin Augustin from Red Bull Leipzig. The two new players not only fill gaps left by the departures of Jack Clarke and Eddie Nketiah but are potentially very exciting signings for the club. Both players have impressed at youth level and come with good pedigree having played for Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain. Having spent a week training with the squad the Leeds players have already had a good look at Ian Poveda and here is what Stuart Dallas had to say about him…

“He's good. We've done the murderball as we do on Thursday or Friday and I was up against him in the first session so I found out how quick he was! He's skilful, he's good at crossing, good feet, looking forward to seeing him in action. Fast, direct, he's quick, his fitted in really well. I haven't seen a player who's taken to a group as well as he has taken and I'm being serious when I say that. He's trained with us a few days now and you'd think he's been here since the start of the season, you know he's lively about the place. Usually when you go to a new club you're a bit quiet and that but he's lively and he's taken really well to the lads. I think that speaks volumes to the group that we have here. We take players in because everyone's been in that position before and it's always nice to welcome new faces and he's fitted in really well.”

Jean-Kevin Augustin only emerged as a potential target for Leeds on Friday last week but he comes with a good pedigree. Born in Paris, the 22-year-old started his career at Paris Saint-Germain but opportunities were limited behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edison Cavani. After a €13 million move to RB Leipzig in July 2017 he saw brief spell in the Bundesliga before a move on loan this summer to French club AS Monaco. Augustin is a France youth international, having been capped at every level from Under-16s to Under-21s. Although Dallas has not seen Augustin in training yet he is keen to give ‘Big Kev’ a warm welcome…

“He's just obviously arrived today and we were out training and said hello to him so I'll go down and have a word with him and welcome him to the club whenever I get the chance. I haven't had chance to see him with his boots on so I don't know what boots he wears or what size of feet he is! Obviously the manager's brought him in as well so that speaks volumes to the type of player he is. We've a good group here, everyone's been in that position coming into a new club we know what it's like so it's important we make him feel welcome. Especially Big Kev - I call him Big Kev, that's what we've decided to call him - I think him coming in from a different country it's important that you make him feel at home.”

The club have clearly acknowledged that they have been light on striking options and both Jean-Kevin Augustin and Ian Poveda give Marcelo Bielsa different and exciting options up front. Victor Orta has done his job and brought in the players Bielsa needs before the window shuts, unlike last season. Most importantly for Dallas is the fact that both players clearly wanted to come to the club. Leeds have been in a bit of a slump over the past few weeks, results have not gone entirely our own way but Dallas admits the new signings could give the team a real lift for the season run in…

“It's important that we have players coming here who wanted to be here as well and I think it's clear to see that the two lads we've brought in wanted to come here and play for this club and we're looking forward to getting them in and progressing now the rest of the season. I think it's been well documented that people have been crying out for us to sign another striker. The club has done that and we're looking forward to seeing him play. It's a big boost for us obviously gives us a bit more strength and depth in the squad and I'm looking forward to seeing him. As new signings do when they come in, they give everybody a lift, you know we've made two new signings now we've hopefully players coming back from injury as well which gives us a lift and the club has worked really hard on bringing the players in and I think everybody deserves credit.”

Marcelo Bielsa also revealed that the long break before the Millwall have has given extra time to for Ben White to adapt to playing the defensive midfield position, a role he will take on Tuesday replacing the suspended Kalvin Phillips. There is also good news on the injury front for Leeds United with the long break also allowing time for Tyler Roberts and Jamie Shackleton to recover from their injuries. They will both be available for selection against Millwall, though there is still no news on Adam Forshaw’s potential return.

Jean-Kevin Augustin, Ian Poveda, Stuart Dallas, Big Kev, Tyler Roberts, Jamie Shackleton, Ben White
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Signings of Ian Poveda and Big Kev a big boost for Leeds squad

Post by Denman »

The club needed a lift, and it’s not only fresh blood we’ve acquired, but potential combined with what appears to be ability that strengthens the squad significantly. Couldn’t really have asked too much more given January is a notoriously difficult window, so I’m a happy chappy tonight.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We've actually got quality with proper pace in our team at long last
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:44 pm We've actually got quality with proper pace in our team at long last
Definitely. I see these as not only signings to help us to the Prem but possibly stay there if we go up. Can't fault the top brass this Jan.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Signings of Ian and 'Big Kev' a big boost for Leeds squad

Post by rrfierce »

Let's hope Ian and kev get us back on track.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: Signings of Ian and 'Big Kev' a big boost for Leeds squad

Post by WhiteRose »

Happy to have them in, both exciting talents and it shows the club have learned from past lessons. I just hope Bielsa does the same and gives them more than 10-20 minutes at the end of games, we at least need big kev ready to step in if Bamford keeps spurning all the gilt edged chances thrown his way.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Re: Signings of Ian and 'Big Kev' a massive boost for Leeds squad

Post by Haighy »

Great signings.. huge boost for the club and fans..
Would love to get a quality cb, maybe that's too much eh?