The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many points needed to go up?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many points needed to go up?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Wednesday 19th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Danny Mills - Time is running out for Bamford

Ex Leeds and England defender Danny Mills has been speaking to the press regarding Bamford and his current form. The 26yo has netted once in the last 10 games, and although the former Boro man offers more than your conventional striker, the lack of goals is the most worrying aspect of Leeds game at the moment.

“Bamford plays an exceptional role for the team. His work rate and everything else is superb. But there has to be a point where a centre-forward’s job is putting the ball in the back of the net. He is missing more than anybody else.

There will become a point. It must be hard for Bielsa because everything is going right and Bamford if doing everything asked of him but it is not going in the back of the net.

If he plays Jean Kevin-Augustin and he is not doing what Bamford does, it may affect the dynamic of the team. I understand the fans’ frustrations. But Bielsa is thinking that we are playing so well (so why change).

Beckford - Leeds should have signed Nahki Wells

Jermaine Beckford believes Leeds missed out on a bargain, letting Nahki Well slip through their fingers. Speaking on Talk-Sport, the former Leeds idol believe that the 29 year old would have ticked ticked all the boxes for Leeds. Bristol City snapped up Wells in the January transfer window for £5m from Burnley, albeit he was on loan at QPR scoring goals for fun.

If you are a Leeds United number nine, that's massive pressure in itself. You know every game you are going to be judged whether you score one, two or three goals, not how many assists you get. That's been one of the biggest issues this season.

Talking about forwards. Nahki Wells was available for £5 million. For me, when he was at QPR for the first half of the season, he scored a lot of goals. To know somebody was available, with Championship experience on the back of scoring how many ever goals he scored was a little bit baffling to myself as to why they didn't reach out and try to grab him on board.

Would you have been satisfied if Leeds had bought Wells? Do you think the majority of the Leeds fans would have been satisfied has Wells signed for the Whites.

With 13 games to go, how many points will be needed to go up

There are 13 games to go that could define our future for decades to comes. Realistically how many points do you think Leeds will collect from their remaining games?

Reading (H)
Boro (A)
Hull (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Cardiff (A)
Fulham (H)
Luton (H)
Blackburn (A)
Stoke (H)
Swansea City (A)
Barnsley (H)
Derby (A)
Charlton (H)

How many points this season will guarantee automatic promotion? How strong is the Championship this year, compared to previous seasons?

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many pts needed to go up?

Post by 60sUnited »

Another 39 points should do the trick !! :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many pts needed to go up?

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning,

Bamford has two in the last 10.
I cant see him improving his conversion rate. I wonder who fancies the next penalty.

Wells,.... Ok he was match fit but who we wouldnt want him after May. 3 and a half year contract takes him to 34. Big Kev will do. If he is ever selected..

Three defeats maximum. Some tough away days. Boro, Blackburn. Cardiff, Swansea. Plus our home form is flaky.
Someone will put in a run. Preston maybe.

28 points minimum.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bamford is not to blame for the lack of goals. Ten men in the box defending is the reason it is difficult to score. You need a pinball wizard to score in those circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am Bamford is not to blame for the lack of goals. Ten men in the box defending is the reason it is difficult to score. You need a pinball wizard to score in those circumstances.

while I agree to an extent - he's had lots of good goalscoring opportunities still (the half open net against bristol on Saturday and yet still somehow hit the keeper). Also not sure about his positioning - like against Preston earlier in the season, Nketiah comes on and scores straight away...maybe luck or better instinct and positioning?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:57 am Bamford is not to blame for the lack of goals. Ten men in the box defending is the reason it is difficult to score. You need a pinball wizard to score in those circumstances.

True Rab but it seems that for every one of these situations there's another where you'd fancy any other forward in the Championship to score. He gets into good positions to score but it doesn't happen. I still haven't forgiven him for the QPR penalty. He does so much well but the one thing he doesn't do well is what ultimately costs us points, just like Kiko at the other end.

I've no vendetta against Paddy and if he finally starts getting the goals he deserves then I'll be chuffed to bits. Until then, he will be held accountable for missed opportunities as any striker should.

And on topic:

How many points we'll get: 24
How many points we'll need: 22
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many points needed to go up?

Post by The Subhuman »

Bamford - No comment

Augustin - Won't get match fit till he starts playing

Wells - meh

Points - more than the club finishing second..We're the best team by a mile and second is just the promotion and none of the kudos.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

mothbanquet wrote: True Rab but it seems that for every one of these situations there's another where you'd fancy any other forward in the Championship to score. He gets into good positions to score but it doesn't happen. I still haven't forgiven him for the QPR penalty. He does so much well but the one thing he doesn't do well is what ultimately costs us points, just like Kiko at the other end.

I've no vendetta against Paddy and if he finally starts getting the goals he deserves then I'll be chuffed to bits. Until then, he will be held accountable for missed opportunities as any striker should.

And on topic:

How many points we'll get: 24
How many points we'll need: 22
When I look at the Bristol game there were two or three instances where Bristol were not able to park the bus in front of goal... Bamford slips and recovers and passes a delicious ball to Harrison but his cross is missed by Costa... and then Dallas slips the ball through to Costa who has only the keeper to beat but Bentley makes an incredible recovery to stop to ball going into the net, and finally the break away from Phiĺips and his pass to Augustin who clips his shot past the post.

Three close efforts from our attacking men, but the one that grabs the attention of the crowd and the pundits is when Bamford shoots straight at the keeper. Cut the boy some slack. He does not need to be the focus of attention.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 19th February) With 13 games to go, how many points needed to go up?

Post by Ratscoot »

Can see us getting around 26points and hopefully that should see us over the line, hopefully get the final points we need by stuffing the Rams then it’s party time when Charlton visit
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Think we need 26 points which would takes up to 85 points

Looking at our fixture list we should achieve that total, likely to exceed it

If we do acquire the 85 mark, Brentford, Fulham & Forest can't afford to lose three games
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote:Think we need 26 points which would takes up to 85 points

Looking at our fixture list we should achieve that total, likely to exceed it

If we do acquire the 85 mark, Brentford, Fulham & Forest can't afford to lose three games
If the others hit 25/26 points they will have done exceptionally well considering they all have to play many teams within the top 7 where as we only have Fulham at home which I'm quietly confident we'll win especially if they need the points more than we do. With our run-in if we don't nail it this season we never will but after what happened last season let's forget all talk of promotion until mid April at the earliest.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:16 pm If the others hit 25/26 points they will have done exceptionally well considering they all have to play many teams within the top 7 where as we only have Fulham at home which I'm quietly confident we'll win especially if they need the points more than we do. With our run-in if we don't nail it this season we never will but after what happened last season let's forget all talk of promotion until mid April at the earliest.

That scenario definitely gives us an advantage as long as we win the games we should be winning.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: That scenario definitely gives us an advantage as long as we win the games we should be winning.
This had déjà vu written all over it.

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I doubt Nahki Wells would have come, he has a small club mentality and at his age would want to be playing, something we all know Leeds couldn't guarantee.

Rest of season i see the below points from each game, it is a bit optimistic but doable. There will be a lot of nervy wins by a single goal in there.

Reading (h)- 3
Boro(a) - 3
Hull(a) - 3
Hudds(h) - 3
Cardiff (a) - 1
Fulham(h) -3
Luton(h) - 3
blackburn(a) -1
Stoke (h) - 3
Swansea (a) - 1
Barnsley (h) - 3
Derby (a) -1
Charlton (h) - 3

Total - 31 +59 = 90 points

I would say we can afford to lose no more than 3 of those games I put draws against to leave us with 87. This wouldn't have got us autos last year but I can't see the threshold been that high this year.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If we had signed Wells then he would have still needed a few weeks to get up the fitness levels required to play the way Bielsa demands. If JKA settles in and we hopefully get promoted then his potential is enormous and he could be a really decent premiership quality striker, something Wells isn't. Plus his best return is 17 goals in a full championship season, is that the answer to our problems? Yes he is doing well this season, 1 more than Bamford, but is he really even an upgrade on Bamford?

JKA has the potential to be anything. His career at the moment has been heading in the wrong direction but several players simply need the right coach to bring the best out of them. The ability appears to be there so it is just down to desire and determination really. His move to Leeds shows a desire to do well and also a desire to let Bielsa improve him. Definitely a much higher potential upside than we would have with Wells. But equally if Wells came in and fired the goals to get us promoted and then we just had him as a squad player it would have been money well spent. However neither brings a guarantee of goals.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:01 pm JKA has the potential to be anything.
This is exactly it. If Bielsa can do for Kev what he's done for the other lads we could well have a powerful weapon in the battle to stay up next season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kiko Casilla's racism trial starts today.

We will know the outcome by tomorrow!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kiko Casilla's racism trial starts today.

We will know the outcome by tomorrow!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:57 am When I look at the Bristol game there were two or three instances where Bristol were not able to park the bus in front of goal... Bamford slips and recovers and passes a delicious ball to Harrison but his cross is missed by Costa... and then Dallas slips the ball through to Costa who has only the keeper to beat but Bentley makes an incredible recovery to stop to ball going into the net, and finally the break away from Phiĺips and his pass to Augustin who clips his shot past the post.

Three close efforts from our attacking men, but the one that grabs the attention of the crowd and the pundits is when Bamford shoots straight at the keeper. Cut the boy some slack. He does not need to be the focus of attention.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Again, true but Bristol was a good game that went our way in a great all-round team performance. I agree that in an ideal world he shouldn't be the sole focus of attention but a great deal of slack has already been cut for him all season. In fact, I can't think of a club whose fans would applaud off the pitch (as happened at Bristol - we still appreciate a good shift) a striker with such a low goal return for a team whose chance creation to goals scored ratio is as lopsided as ours. Social media is it's own nightmare but Twitter should be destroyed in my books, so I'm not going to speak for that side of things - every player should stay away from that pit of vipers - but I think most fans (except faaip, he's still treating him like Lord Voldemort :roflmao:) have granted Paddy slack in abundance.

Personally speaking, the most frustrating thing about Bamford is that he is absolutely capable of pulling off a peach of a finish, and he's shown himself to be a clever attacking thinker and frequently gets to the ball ahead of defenders. Bielsa himself recently stated, and I quote; “Of course I would like him to have more efficiency, but I value a lot that in every match he is in good condition to score. We hope that he gets what he deserves.” Is Bielsa quite so sanguine in his private heart? Well, he's a unique breed so who knows, but I can't imagine any other team, any other manager or any other fans persevering with Bamford in the way ours have.

I'm not going to say he's a crap striker because that would be oversimplifying a complex issue but I ask everyone here which statement is more accurate - that Bamford is lucky to be at Leeds, or Leeds are lucky to have Bamford?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Might need Cjay to help us out here but how have strikers done under Bielsa? I wonder whether all the running around hampers a striker as they might not be exactly in the right place for chances as they would be if their sole focus was just to be waiting around for a chance to come. If he is getting to the right place a split second later than ideal it can make a simple chance just that bit more difficult as he wouldn't be set perfectly. Take the Bristol chance and he has been running into the box to get on the end of the cross, it took a slight deflection as it came to him but because he was running in was he able to adjust as quickly/easily as if he had already been in the right position?