The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 21st February) - Casilla ban could lead to £5m fee activation for Meslier's services

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 21st February) - Casilla ban could lead to £5m fee activation for Meslier's services

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Friday 21st February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Casilla ban could lead to £5m fee activation for Meslier's services

With a hefty ban period period looming over Spanish keeper Kiko Casilla, Marcelo Bielsa has come out and said that should the inevitable happen, Meslier has shown the required level if required to play (not exactly a glowing report). Casilla is still waiting for the official word from the FA regarding his racism charge, but knowing that the governing body can convict the former Real Madrid shot stopper on probability, not fact, things don't look good for the 33 year old.

Casilla will face between 6 and 12 games on the sidelines if found guilty. With such a long ban looming, why hasn't Bielsa given promising young keeper Illan Meslier a chance between the sticks? The reason was divulged yesterday at the pre-match press conference. Should Meslier play 10 first team games for Leeds, there is a clause in his contract that the deal will have to be made permanent, with a fee of just over £5m agreed.

Proposed Summer takeover in doubt over al-Khelaifi bribery charges

Leeds proposed Summer takeover by Qatari businessman Nasser al-Khelaifi could be in peril after it has been revealed that the PSG owner has been charged by Swiss prosecutors in connection with a bribery investigation into World Cup television rights. Former secretary-general of FIFA, world football's governing body, Jerome Valcke and a third unnamed businessman were also indicted by the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG).

The OAG has charged Valcke with accepting bribes, several counts of aggravated criminal mismanagement, and falsification of documents,” a statement read on Thursday. Al-Khelaifi and the third accused are charged with inciting Valcke to commit aggravated criminal mismanagement. The third accused is also charged with bribery.

Last month Fifa reached an amicable agreement with Khelaifi, to drop its criminal complaint relating to the awarding of 2026 and 2030 World Cup rights to Qatari broadcaster BeIN Sports.

I have been cleared of all suspicions of bribery and the case has been dismissed definitively and conclusively. While a secondary technical charge remains outstanding, I have every expectation that this will be proven completely groundless.

While I have cooperated with all authorities during the legal process, the three year investigation has been characterised by constant leaks, misinformation and a seemingly relentless agenda to smear my reputation in the media – completely irrespective of the facts and the notion of due process. For that reason, I have requested the relevant Swiss authorities to open a criminal enquiry into the conduct of the investigation.

Bielsa's pre match press conference

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 21st February) - Casilla ban could lead to £5m fee activation for Meslier's services

Post by mothbanquet »

I would say 'required level' is a perfectly glowing report from Bielsa, given his standards.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 21st February) - Casilla ban could lead to £5m fee activation for Meslier's services

Post by The Subhuman »

As would I...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Leeds hoping for a six game ban then....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa