The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to five points over play off rivals

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to five points over play off rivals

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 24th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds stretch lead to five points over play off rivals

Leeds stretched their lead over their play off hopefuls to five points thanks to a moment of magic from their veteran talisman Pablo Hernandez on the hour mark. Bizarrely, apart from the automatic two, only Preston and Swansea were the only teams in the top 17 in the Championship to record victories. As expected Leeds dominated the majority of the game, with the visitors getting 10 men behind the ball to try and frustrate the Whites, then attacking on the break. The Royals almost stole a point in injury time when Liam More's turn and shoot bought out a fine save from Casilla.

Phillips injury not as bad as expected

The first half was marred by Kelvin Phillips hobbling off the pitch 10 minutes before half time. The inspirational defensive midfielder came off worse following a heavy challenge from Reading's Omar Richards. After the game, Arsenal legend Ian Wright took to Instagram to show concern for the future England star...

Hope it’s not too serious KP
All good Wrighty just a dead calf thanks mate

This was certainly a lot clearer than Bielsa's statement concerning the health of the 24 year old. When asked about the health of his inspirational midfielder, the Argentine answered...

I think it’s a kick. I don’t know if it’s serious or not.
With respect, a Millwall fan could have told us that!

Bielsa's post match pres conference

What is going through Augustin's mind?

I think most fans would agree that having taken the lead against Reading, it was going to be extremely unlikely that the Royals we were going to get anything from the game. You might even say it would be the perfect time to bring on Augustin! The £15-20m rated forward signed for Leeds almost a month ago, and has been limited to a couple of cameo roles due to an apparent lack of fitness.

With Bamford less likely to score than David Batty in a penalty shoot out you'd think that having gone one - nil up, it would have been the perfect opportunity to give Augustin some game time to a) offer something different up front and b) assist with the fitness of Augustin. If you were in the Frenchmans shoes, how would you be feeling that you were not getting any game time due to Bamfords current form?

billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to five points over play off rivals

Post by billysboots »

I’m starting to get concerned about Kev’s game time, Marcelo has a bad record with on loan players. 😟
There Is Only One United.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to five points over play off rivals

Post by 60sUnited »

All that matters at this point of the season are the 3 points, would take 1-0 every time !!

Augustin will not get a game as long as Bamford is fit no matter whether Bamford scores or not.... he must be slightly peed off.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to 5 points over play off rivals

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

Great to have opened a wee window. Be great if next Monday it was still there. Away to Boro who are on the edge of freefall and Hull who havent a win in nine matches, are conceding two goals a game of late and havent won at home since December. Leeds to use two strikers to expose their defensive frailties? Go on, if you didnt laugh there at least admit to a guffaw :)

Like many of us I was worried when KP was injured, no thanks to Costa who was dispossesed and needed Kalvin to have to weigh in with that desperate tackle!

Last two games and the 1-0s in both games we have had to survive prety decent penalty shouts and near misses at our end. Goals please.

Big Kev, will he be one of those players Bielsa transforms?
I hear there is a suport group for those who Bielsa has snubbed.
#UnlovedbyMarcello.

Another month and we will know.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is bad enough with the media and self appointed pundits trying to disrail Leeds we don't need fans doing it to. Bielsa stated from day 1 that he expected it take a month for JKA to be fully ready. Also we have seen with Nketiah several times that bringing him on when in front has rarely benefitted the team, only once when we got a second against Huddersfield. More often bringing a striker on to try to secure the game has backfired, with us losing the lead v Derby and Cardiff. Just last week against Bristol we lost the ball in their half, when Harrison was dispossessed as he tried to control a ball as there wasn't a pass on to JKA and Bristol created a chance out of nothing. Bielsa opted to try to protect the lead and it worked. Sometimes not making changes is the best way of securing a result.

We all know Bamford is a streaky player. He has shown that throughout his career and this season for us going on a long barren run then having a decent run and now another barren run. Now JKA is acclimatised it is up to Bielsa to work out the conundrum but let's not try to blame Bielsa for simply doing what he told us he would do and that was not really considering JKA for the first month. Too easy to make comparison with other sides such as Bristol and Derby who threw their loan signings in straightaway but neither of those clubs was in an automatic promotion place or have as complex and well oiled machine as we have.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

billysboots wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:45 am I’m starting to get concerned about Kev’s game time, Marcelo has a bad record with on loan players. 😟
Yes a shocking record, Ben White and Harrison must be wondering when they will finally get an opportunity.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I've concentrated really really really hard, but I still can't read Augustin's mind.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:22 am I've concentrated really really really hard, but I still can't read Augustin's mind.
I put some of my best people on it...

Puis-je jouer s'il vous plaît.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 am I put some of my best people on it...

Puis-je jouer s'il vous plaît.
I now have to add Google translate to Leon's thread :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 24th February) Leeds stretch lead to 5 points over play off rivals

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:47 am Like many of us I was worried when KP was injured, no thanks to Costa who was dispossesed and needed Kalvin to have to weigh in with that desperate tackle!
Fans at the game were saying to me Phillips shouldn't have made such a desperate tackle, as you say it was fancy dan Costa's fault for being dispossessed in such a dangerous area, KP had to make two similar tackles prior to that one because our passing & retention of the ball was woeful in the first 20 minutes of the game.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 am I now have to add Google translate to Leon's thread :)
What thread cheeky Harry ;-)
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Whatever we think of Bamford it is pretty clear that Bielsa sees him as a crucial part of the team whether he is scoring or not. As a player who can hold on to the ball in the final 3rd and link up with midfielders I can see the logic. Problem is he offers next to zero threat on goal, he has seemingly lost all ability to strike the ball and he is more often than not a yard behind play when balls come in to the box - any striker coming in will be expected to do the same job and im sure Bielsa meticulously analysed JKA's stats to ensure he could do the job. JKA does seem to prefer balls over the top and through balls to chase and as we know they in very short supply the way we play and the way teams play against us so thats a part of his game nullified - but he must at least be able to hit the ball cleanly and hit the target more than Bamford.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I'm surprised given we've restored nearly half our pre-wobble gap to third, garnered back to back wins and clean sheets that the mood isn't a wee bit more positive.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm I'm surprised given we've restored nearly half our pre-wobble gap to third, garnered back to back wins and clean sheets that the mood isn't a wee bit more positive.
We're Leeds, aren't we...?

Not so much glass half full as glass dropped before it got to the tap/bottle, the shards stamped into a fine powder, then buried in a deep hole...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

gessa

Post by gessa »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 pm I'm surprised given we've restored nearly half our pre-wobble gap to third, garnered back to back wins and clean sheets that the mood isn't a wee bit more positive.

Lets be honest, if we were 38 points clear, some would be bemoaning the fact we'll be getting stuffed every game next seaon in the Premiership, unless we spend £768M on a new squad, even though Bielsa wouldn't pick any of the new signings.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

barryanorak wrote:
We're Leeds, aren't we...?

Not so much glass half full as glass dropped before it got to the tap/bottle, the shards stamped into a fine powder, then buried in a deep hole...
Eric Olthwaite precisely sums up the Yorkshireman's attitude to life.

Eric goes on like broken gramophone record with the needle stuck in the groove, much like the doomsday naysayers on here.

It were hard to accept I were boring. Especially with my interest in rain fall.
That night, as we talked excitedly about shovels and precipitation.
https://youtu.be/YYpsz2eAKOs

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm Eric Olthwaite precisely sums up the Yorkshireman's attitude to life.

I was immensely excited to discover Stornoway black pudding - a pudding so black, that even the white bits are black.

Although my Father never pretended to be French
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm Eric Olthwaite precisely sums up the Yorkshireman's attitude to life.

Eric goes on like broken gramophone record with the needle stuck in the groove, much like the doomsday naysayers on here.

Good points, been living dahn sarf for so long I might well be losing touch. Sooner I get back up there the better.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sorry but please out the doomsday naysayers I've no idea who that might be
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

rab_rant wrote:

Eric Olthwaite precisely sums up the Yorkshireman's attitude to life.

I thought I was looking at "Last of the summer wine", one of the best long-running series ever made, about 3 senior delinquents doing summat similar to junior delinquents. Set around Holmfirth I believe but hilarious in some of their stunts where it was always the women bossing the men around. 31 seasons of gentle humour.