Question

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Question

Post by LevLeeds »

Genuine question, so I was talking to a six fingered Norwich fan this morning and he was talking about how bitterly disappointing this season has been, and how hes enjoyed it half as much as he did last season, the club have come out stating they are fighting for every point and every ball during the game but putting in poor performances all the time. They are 100% down according to him and you have to agree. So after the highs of last season and the joys of gaining promotion to the elite you have to question sometimes whats the point? I mean would you be happy with gaining promotion this year and them suffering the same fate as Norwich and head straight back down? I mean I get that's always the risk and the chances of going straight back down or more likely to happen in this day and age, but I for one really enjoy the Championship and will in a weird way miss it if we go up. But of course in the end you wanna be playing football against the best teams in the land, but also you need to be competitive and the club need to be financial capable to compete, currently not sure we have what it takes unless AR has something really special up his sleeve. Que Qatar investments theories.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Question

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think we'd suffer the same fate as Norwich, it'd be a tough season in all probability but we have a lower mid premier squad here and with a couple of additions to replace the chaff we could be fine.

But if we did you're right it would be not something to savour at all. No guarantee we play Bielsa ball at the next level if he goes anyway and fingers crossed corrupt QVC keep their sticky fingers away from our club. That would be the worst thing that can happen for me.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norwich were doomed from day one in the premiership as Delia didn't strengthen their squad with two or three quality signings.

The blunts led the way & showed how it should be done!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The major problem we'll have if we are promoted is lack of investment

Quality players don't come cheap & we require a 50k plus capacity stadium.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I think that if we go up there will be investment, hopefully not Aston Villa style but as faaip said a couple/ few quality additions and we’d do well. Look at Wolves, Sheff U they’ve managed to more than hold their own and I see no reason why we couldn’t
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:30 pm I think that if we go up there will be investment, hopefully not Aston Villa style but as faaip said a couple/ few quality additions and we’d do well. Look at Wolves, Sheff U they’ve managed to more than hold their own and I see no reason why we couldn’t
Lets hope so Rich, we'll need it!
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I have had similar thoughts about leaving the championship aswell as currently i do enjoy it. But its a backwards argument to suggest its not worth going up even if you end up struggling against relegation or going straight back down - its £100 million at least just to be in the premiership plus added sponsorship money and then £75 million pound parachute payments following that - As long as we dont go mental on signings and completely blow the wage structure that would be a great shot in the arm for the clubs long term finances.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

Agree, the financial gain that its worth far out weighs the negatives. Just be painful watching us get beat week in week out. But for the 1 game against a very strong Arsenal side and very much held our own and another day beat them. Will be great for the club to do it this year, be great to be back in the prem. Anyone had any thought on the day if/when it happens? The emotions in the ground etc? Jeeeese doesnt bare thinking about does it. Stopping now before we jinx anything.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Whilst I understand what people love about the championship, I've had enough of it now. Not even suggesting the prem will be a better experience, it just feels like time for change.

If I was a Norwich fan I'd be disillusioned. I'd hope to see us build steadily for the long term. I would love to see us competing seriously with Bielsa.

Investment, money, all that. I know the game hinges on it, but I don't want to think of football in those terms. I am bothered about the ethics of it, but I'd probably turn a blind eye to a discreet mafia connection, or something similar. If you're going to be evil, do it with style.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:20 pm Whilst I understand what people love about the championship, I've had enough of it now. Not even suggesting the prem will be a better experience, it just feels like time for change.

If I was a Norwich fan I'd be disillusioned. I'd hope to see us build steadily for the long term. I would love to see us competing seriously with Bielsa.

Investment, money, all that. I know the game hinges on it, but I don't want to think of football in those terms. I am bothered about the ethics of it, but I'd probably turn a blind eye to a discreet mafia connection, or something similar. If you're going to be evil, do it with style.
I feel the same Sara as do the giants of the premiership. Manure, Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh, Spurs, Arsenal, etc.

Even if we were just a mid-table prem outfit those clubs & their fans would rather be competing against us as oppose to the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley & the rest!

I've done the trails around championships/League One grounds over the past fifteen years, now for a bit of glory......problem is I'll probably struggle to acquire tickets next season :(
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Hopefully the streams will be better...
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I hate the championship with a passion at this stage, what’s the point in being in it if you don’t want to go up. Sheffield United have made it look easy this season and we were on a par with them last year. No reason why we couldn’t hold our own in the premiership, we would need a striker who can score though
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Without question this club is a PL club and once we're there I can only see us going from strength to strength as long as the owner provides financial backing and doesn't do a Delia . The ground isn't big enough but Leeds need to get re-established before improving it. 3 or 4 improvements in the playing staff built around our own KP and we're cruising.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

If we go up we'll stay - I've heard enough of the negative stuff to sicken me of it.
We'll probably do like we did last time, consolidate then challenge the Premiership elite.
We are Leeds and need to be in our rightful place.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:39 pm Without question this club is a PL club and once we're there I can only see us going from strength to strength as long as the owner provides financial backing and doesn't do a Delia . The ground isn't big enough but Leeds need to get re-established before improving it. 3 or 4 improvements in the playing staff built around our own KP and we're cruising.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
IF we do succeed in our endeavours and reach the promised land this year, with our fan base tickets next year for non-season ticket holders will be like gold dust. So we really do need a proper business plan in place to ensure that any decisions taken are for the long term benefit of the club as a whole. That doesn’t mean ignoring short term requirements on the pitch, but the bigger picture mustn’t be forgotten. I do think we have been sorely lacking in long term planning for donkeys years.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Norm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm If we go up we'll stay - I've heard enough of the negative stuff to sicken me of it.
We'll probably do like we did last time, consolidate then challenge the Premiership elite.
Amen, brother.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Norm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm If we go up we'll stay - I've heard enough of the negative stuff to sicken me of it.
What he said :tup: :tup: :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Norwich didnt invest but they will have a massive warchest when they do decide to use it in a serious attempt at building a powerhouse.

Pukki their top scorer is on £6k a week!
Mind boggling really when you compare what some of our lot are being paid.

In fact our annual player wage bill is higher than theirs!

T
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa