Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Berardi in for Phillips, Kiko Starts, No JKA!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Berardi in for Phillips, Kiko Starts, No JKA!

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Did we win 1-0?

Should have played the acca, maybe next game ?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Middlesbrough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Berardi in for Phillips, Kiko Starts, No JKA!

Post by Norm »

If only we, collectively, could appreciate the greatness we have been given, without needing to criticise random factors which actually don't matter.
65 points ought to be welcomed at this stage - we've gone through a mini-hiccough (or 'hiccup' if you will) but have just managed 3 tight 1-0s and played better than the 3 other teams in so doing. Rejoice ye miserable sods, get your mind right for cheering on our lovely boys and shout out how much you love and appreciate them, whether you go to the next game or not. These skilled, well-coached and hardworking lads deserve our compliments for their achievements, not mealy-mouthed criticism.
hector

Post by hector »

Tell you what, reading through this thread I thought we had lost last night...............

What the hell is the matter with people?
Enjoy the ride... we are in 2nd place and once agan increasing the gap from 3rd.....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Well said H
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Highlights.
Spotlight on Bamford. During the match I thought he should have buried that last chance from the Ayling pass, but when you look at it again Shotton gets foot to it and Paddy's momentum is such that he is unbalanced and had to drag his leg back to connect with the deflected ball.
https://youtu.be/tlrRneurYDk

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Three consecutive 1-0 wins. I know it's 'only' three but surely that is some kind of record.

Great to see that we have continued out comeback and at last are getting the results that we deserve again.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

onemoreslogan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:16 am So much grousing here after a vital three points on the road? Jaysus!

It wasn't pretty but it was all business. A clean sheet? Three on the bounce? Gimme ten more just like that please! MOT.
Exactly the type of game that separates those who get promoted from those who don’t.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

No chicken counting going on here, but something feels different this season. We certainly wouldn’t have won our last three games at this stage last season. Or the previous season etc.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Of course Den, for the few there's nothing new to see here....Move along there! Nothing to see here......
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SG90 wrote: Bielsa classes him as a striker.
He probably classes Kiko as one as well.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm WHAT IN HEAVENS NAME IS BETTER THAN A CLEAN SHEET?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Nothing, but what happens when we concede? One goal wont be enough to win the game. I thought I made that clear in my comments, obviously not.
If we have 11 more clean sheets - happy days.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

hector wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am Tell you what, reading through this thread I thought we had lost last night...............

Enjoy the ride... we are in 2nd place and once agan increasing the gap from 3rd.....
Well said. It's almost like some people would have almost preferred us to have lost and are disappointed that Kiko hasn't made a mistake but at least they can criticise Bamford for not scoring when a cross was deflected onto his leg by a defender. Would rather criticise Bielsa for insisting a player needs to be fit enough to play the system and then criticise Bielsa because the player got a muscle injury in training - so they would have thrown that player straight into the starting line-up yet he wasn't able to complete a training session.

We aren't going to go out and play every team off the park and win 5-0. It simply doesn't happen. Yes on several occasions we have played well enough to blow teams away but even Liverpool in this glorious season have usually just scraped past teams and won by the odd goal. We have also seen in the championship every week that any team can beat any team, any team is capable of losing 3 or 4 on the bounce then suddenly winning 5 in a row.

It was an excellent result and we were the better team. We created the better chances and deserved the win. Most importantly we got the win.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

hector wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 am Tell you what, reading through this thread I thought we had lost last night...............

:tup:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Bloody horrible game to watch, win is a win though.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Just watched the highlights.

While it would be great if Bamford was a better goalscorer, with that chance from the Ayling cross, he is in no way to blame. No-one would have scored in that situation.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:38 am Just watched the highlights.

While it would be great if Bamford was a better goalscorer, with that chance from the Ayling cross, he is in no way to blame. No-one would have scored in that situation.

I think it's harsh to have a go at him for that one. We also have to praise him for the work in the build up to Pablo's shot which lead to the goal and he had a decent effort earlier. The headers straight at the keep are starting to piss me off a bit though.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 am I think it's harsh to have a go at him for that one. We also have to praise him for the work in the build up to Pablo's shot which lead to the goal and he had a decent effort earlier. The headers straight at the keep are starting to piss me off a bit though.
Yes the highlights showed some good support play by him.

Of course it's frustrating to see him miss good chances. But goal-scoring is not the main asset that he brings to the team. He has never been a great goalscorer.

But some people won't accept that he is doing the job that Bielsa wants him to do - though I'm sure that Bielsa would love him to score more goals. He selects him for his overall contribution, and the plays the hard-working role because that is what Bielsa wants from him.

If all Bielsa wanted was a goal-poacher then he'd get one.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 am Bloody horrible game to watch, win is a win though.
Exactly what I alluded to in my comments after the game YS. Dreadful game to watch, really frenetic. But a win was absolutely critical to keep Fulham and Forest at arms length and we did it ugly so happy days. Liked the fact that the ref allowed some old school tackles to go unpunished though.
The trip on Harrison was a stone wall penalty so he missed that.
I know some people go over the top with their criticisms after a win but guys people are allowed to point out things that weren't good even when we win!
It's all a matter of opinions.
Having seen the Bamford miss on Quest last night, Shotton did definitely alter the path of the cross making it more difficult but I still think a more athletic nimble striker (ie Nketiah or Roofe) would have buried it.
On to Hull.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:33 am If only we, collectively, could appreciate the greatness we have been given, without needing to criticise random factors which actually don't matter.
65 points ought to be welcomed at this stage - we've gone through a mini-hiccough (or 'hiccup' if you will) but have just managed 3 tight 1-0s and played better than the 3 other teams in so doing. Rejoice ye miserable sods, get your mind right for cheering on our lovely boys and shout out how much you love and appreciate them, whether you go to the next game or not. These skilled, well-coached and hardworking lads deserve our compliments for their achievements, not mealy-mouthed criticism.
Brilliant post, absolutely nailed it Norm :clap: :clap:
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

+1, the negativity on here is becoming a grind
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson